YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I learned two bits of disturbing news on Tuesday night from our Day Skipper lecturer; not only has the Tyne-Tees coastguard been turned from a manned station into a relay station (we're now covered by Humber or Firth of Forth CGs), but also and more worrying, anyone who dives our North-east coast should know that the MOD are threatening to close RAF Boulmer in Northumberland, home of 202 SAR Squadron. One of our local newspapers has a campaign to fight the closure  but unfortunately there does not seem to be any details available on their website. I have 'phoned The Journal for more details and will post on here when I know more
Steve

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/0100new....d=50081

·
Finally not a new member
270 Posts
Imported post

The site maybe under threat but it doesnt necessarily mean the SAR will be relocated.  Aircrew still need cover.  Also still many airfields being converted for use by the Army which allows the SAR to be retained. Campaign hard but maynot be all lost just yet.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Don't forget ,

We lost the SAR flight here at RAF Manston,,,, then a year later the camp was turned over to civvie's .

Had a IRA bomb in the local bks , 1/2 mile from where i live , then 4 years later, the Royal Marines band get relocated to Portsmouth....

Campain HARD

Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts