YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi people it me again.
i have a question on rapid accent hence the title, when diving 10 days ago i had a quick one shit my self my own stupid fault but thats another story .what i want to know if you miss a stop a 6 cause the comp is telling you to stop at 6 m for 3 mins and you go straight by it would you go back down to the 6 metres ? or as i did just shit my self for a couple of hours and get straight out ? cheers in advace.

p.s.....hope you understand the question.

·
Jammer Six was a wannabe
1,342 Posts
hi people it me again.
i have a question on rapid accent hence the title, when diving 10 days ago i had a quick one shit my self my own stupid fault but thats another story .what i want to know if you miss a stop a 6 cause the comp is telling you to stop at 6 m for 3 mins and you go straight by it would you go back down to the 6 metres ? or as i did just shit my self for a couple of hours and get straight out ? cheers in advace.

p.s.....hope you understand the question.
Lots of Irishmen have fast accents and never get bent...........

·
Dedicated Lurker
934 Posts
Depends on whether the stop at 6m was a deco stop or a safety stop.

I have a suunto vytec and it insists that I complete a 3 minute safety stop between 3 and 6 metres at the end of every dive.

The safety stop is not mandatory so if I ascended and didn't observe the stop then it would not necessarily be a problem. I may have been given an indication to extend my surface interval to counter the increased bubbles due to a fast ascent. I do however usually observe the safety stop just to make me feel less tired after the dive.

If the 3 minutes was a deco stop then I may have been tempted to drop down and finish the 3 minutes off. This is not recommended by diving agencies however.

I wouldn't think missing 3 minutes was life threatening though but don't quote me on it.

Lyv

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Pedant mode on (if I had a rapid accent I would talk a little more slowly) Pedant mode off.

To answer your question the answer is it depends.

If I had done a 10 minute dive to 10 metres then I wouldnt be too worried about missing a safety stop.

If I had done a 30M dive and left the bottom just as I was about to go into mandatory stops then I would view it differently.

What mix were you on?? etc etc. Too many variables to be able to give sound advice I'm afraid. Tell us a bit more.

alan

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
The TDI course states that if you miss a stop from 6m or shallower and you're able to return to it within a minute then you can descend back to the stop depth and complete the stop adding the minute to the stop time.

Personally, I'm pretty sure I'd get out and onto the highest O2 mix available. If symptoms presented themselves then get myself into the local pot.

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
what i want to know if you miss a stop a 6 cause the comp is telling you to stop at 6 m for 3 mins and you go straight by it would you go back down to the 6 metres ?
Numbers. We need numbers.
Depth, bottom time and what you were breathing.

As has already been said some computers recommend a safety stop on every dive but that's all it is. Mandatory decompression is another matter but 3 at 6 doesn't sound like that.

Frankly if you did a rapid ascent you deserve to be nervous because it's about the worse thing you can do other than no ascent. Once we're quite sure you're all right we will tell you off/kick you according to personal taste or preference.

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
It's a good question which illustrates the need to understand what our computers are telling us.

The 3min stop @ 6M has been built in by manufacturers to help slow people's ascents and assist off gassing to reduce the number of post dive bubbles.

One should not be blind to what it's saying though and one needs to consider whether the stop is needed. Would you stop if your buddy was out of gas for example? When you say rapid ascent ... just how rapid, from what depth and after how long.

The PADI tables I learned on were quite happy with 18M/min ascent rates and no stops at all.

Looking forward to more info.

Rgrds
Mal

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well dudes the total dive time including decent and rapid accent was 23 mins mod 32 ( shit i know ) was on o2 the thing is i dive with a stinger witch was ok just a warning about the accent. but my uwatec bloody shut down and went in to sos mode .how scared was i.
it was a stop not safety i missed . but after all that i felt fine and still do but i never did the 2nd dive witch pissed me off as 3 and half hour drive to sea houses but this is the first time this as ever happened to me , i know what i did wrong and thats what as anoyed me . but i`m not the first and i`m sure i won`t be the last . just lucky this time i guess. cheers ..........

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
have now sold the uwatec now sticking with stinger .

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
well dudes the total dive time including decent and rapid accent was 23 mins mod 32 (shit i know) was on o2 the thing is i dive with a stinger witch was ok just a warning about the accent. but my uwatec bloody shut down and went in to sos mode.
Well 23 mins at 32 meters on Air with a Bühlmann model at zero conservatism would have given you 5 minutes at 6m so if it was a square profile dive the Uwatec was on the money.

If it was a variable depth dive with a slow descent and you only hit 32 and averaged 27 the required stops drop to zero.
have now sold the uwatec now sticking with stinger.
I somehow think that's the wrong way round.

·
tell it like it is
283 Posts
all depends on the speed of the ascent & the nitrogen loaded.
if your alladin shows deco.. then you had deco to do.
the suunto is a 3 minute inbuilt safety net.

if it happened to me, i would have descended right away & multipiled the deco by 1/2. so 3 minutes would have been 4 1/2 minutes.
got out the water & went on o2.
after then i would have monitored myself until i thought i was clear.

sounds like you were lucky, perhaps.
your level of fitness may have saved you from a noticable bend.

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
have now sold the uwatec now sticking with stinger .
Personally, if you are doing stops that require mandatory decompression, I'd bin the stinger. Despite the marketing blurb it's not a very effective computer for deco diving. It puts it's fingers in its electronic ears and goes "lah lah lah" when you mention deep stops, and if you ignore it and do them anyway it doesn't credit you for them at all and racks up the shallow stops.

If you miss a stop, most agencies have a missed stops protocol, very different from in water recompression before anyone one starts. They are generally linked to the amount of time you are on the surface. I.E. if you can get down within a given time frame, you perform a certain multiple of the missed stops. Missing the last three minutes obviously didn't kill you, but all deco diving is a gamble, and missing stops of any kind is never a wise plan as you just shorten the odds in that gamble.

I hate to sound a little harsh, but if you have done a deco procedures course you should know the answer to this question, and if you are not trained to do deco dives, well perhaps you shouldn't ask the question on a web forum but instead ask a professional instructor.

·
I like my login so much I put my name on it...
1,451 Posts
if it happened to me, i would have descended right away & multipiled the deco by 1/2. so 3 minutes would have been 4 1/2 minutes.

Just being a PITA but *1.5, or 3/2 :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cheers for the responce it was a slow decent and it ws not a square profile advarge depth was about 27. but when looking at my tables after the dive it said i could have another five mins at that depth.so maybe the uwatec was over cautious but it still gave me a fright.
and as for my fitness i`m the fitess fat sod you will see. ( joke)

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
If it were me, having missed 3 mins of stops, I'd have dropped back down, added the 50% and made a very slow ascent to surface.

In essence, I would probably have gone back to 6m, stayed for 6 mins and taken another 5-6 mins to reach the surface.

Juz

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Follow your 'missed stops' protocol, and if you can't (maybe your buddy is still down there and there's nobody to drop back down with you), then get out of the water and go onto 100% O2 and make sure you're monitored by someone else.

Wise choice to bin the 2nd dive.

Glad there wasn't a problem, Chris

1 - 20 of 32 Posts