YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started to investigate how to re-pack my old Metalsub PR1209 battery from 2007 to increase the performance. I've read that people have used batteries with soldering tabs and I am interested to know what batteries you have used and how you did this. The original battery pack is soldered surface to surface and I am a bit worried that the tabs will increase the diameter too much so the batteries won't fit the tubes. Any input would be appreciated :)

This is how the battery looks like when taken apart;
Demontering av Metalsub PR1209 batteripaket

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I've done this on my pack. I used nimh tagged cells, lay them out properly and solder them neatly and it's a fairly easy job. Insulate the ends well and remember to pack the cells so they don't slide in the pack too much and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I must admit that I can't picture how you did it by your description. I imagine you could bend the plus tab and solder it to the "side" of the next battery since the "side" is also a minus terminal. Did you do it this way?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I used ten of these IIRC (they look like the ones in your pic actually).

BatteriesPlus+ D Size 10000mah NiMH Tagged Battery

They have tags on either end, so you solder +ve to -ve and so on. Only place you need to extend with a wire is at the base of the pack and where it terminates at the connector (obviously). I've been meaning to put a new terminal on the battery, so I'll see if I can unpack it and get a photo.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
The first thing to do is remove the heatshrink from your current battery pack and accurately measure the length and diameter of one of the cells, to make sure you buy the correct replacements. When you solder the new cells together it's easier to stand them up on end or lay them flat on a table, side-by-side so they are touching together, then bend the tabs up so that they make contact. Solder them together and then fold one of the batteries up so that they are now end-to-end.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I have used cell pack solutions in the past - very cheap/reasonable and very helpful and prompt.
Second that. Not worth getting the soldering iron out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.