YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at going down the rebreather route and have most of the information I need regarding course and unit costs, but was wondering how much it costs to maintain a rebreather regarding services etc?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I'm looking at going down the rebreather route and have most of the information I need regarding course and unit costs, but was wondering how much it costs to maintain a rebreather regarding services etc?
02 grease, o rings, how many parts are user serviceable, How confident are you to do it.........?

Does the manufacturer offer a user service coarse?

Are you prepared to service your own reg's?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Nuffink - once you have got all your own kit it is only air that costs you!...diving is a cheap sport!:teeth: :teeth:

·
DIR since '64
261 Posts
Depends on the unit. KISS units are all user-maintained for instance.

You need to factor in:
Spares box £500
Cells per year £150
Batteries per year £50

You will also find you 'need' little extras like compressors, boosters and filling whips etc. :teeth:

BUT you then become fairly independent of dive shops and this opens up expeditions where OC isn't possible.

·
Registered
247 Posts

You need to factor in:
Spares box £500
Cells per year £150
Batteries per year £50

You will also find you 'need' little extras like compressors, boosters and filling whips etc. :teeth:

BUT you then become fairly independent of dive shops and this opens up expeditions where OC isn't possible.
Oh yeah - forgot to mention that little lot!:redface: ...but once you have that it is a very cheap sport!:teeth: :teeth:

·
Apprentice houseplant
988 Posts

You need to factor in:
Spares box £500
Cells per year £150
Batteries per year £50

Just to tag in on this, having just bought a kiss..

What about paragon reg servicing? I'm reasonably happy (or will be) about fiddling with the rest of the kit, but not really that experienced with dealing with regs, so do people generally service the Paragon themselves, or get someone else to do it?

And, what do you keep in the spares box for £500? I was expecting a spare cell and maybe a spare display and a set of O-rings ;)

(Sorry for the hijack!)

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts

What about paragon reg servicing? I'm reasonably happy (or will be) about fiddling with the rest of the kit, but not really that experienced with dealing with regs, so do people generally service the Paragon themselves, or get someone else to do it?

And, what do you keep in the spares box for £500? I was expecting a spare cell and maybe a spare display and a set of O-rings ;)

(Sorry for the hijack!)
New Kisses come with a Mares second stage. Not many people like the paragon and so change it. Jetsam will sell you the bits though.

My spares box is huge. I have a spare hose, counterlung, brass nut, display, o-rings, cell, etc. etc. etc.

But I rarely use the spares, other than changing the o-rings every year ($20). The big costs are four new cells (3+ a spare) = £220. Lime (about £8 for 3 hours dive time). Batteries (£15 every 30 hours dive time). O2 (£5 every couple of days of diving). Insurance (£30)

It all is dwarfed by the cost of petrol driving to divesites for me.

Janos

·
DIR since '64
261 Posts

Spares - I have a spare lung, hose ( inc adapters ) plus a display assembly ( 3 displays ), O rings, diaphragms etc. Have a look at the current KISS parts list: Jetsam
Although a complete display might seem excessive, it has saved many a dive whilst my main display was sent back for repair ( under warranty ) Don't forget to add import duty and VAT to the KISS price list :frown: Although Jetsam generally ship parts across within 3 days, it is usually too late to save a trip, so you will need to carry a few parts.

Servicing - Reg servicing is very straight forward. Get a copy of Vance Harlows book - Regulator servicing & the Oxygen Hackers handbook AirspeedPress
There is also copies of the APEKs workshop manual available. www.frogkick.dk - /manuals/apeks/

Parts are available direct from Jetsam. Dive shops in the UK are trying disparately to stop people servicing their own regs by blocking the purchase of the servicing kits. ( It is a cash cow for them ) However this practice is illegal in europe and you can simply buy the APEKS parts from Germany etc.

Reg servicing is no more difficult than assembling your CK.

·
Registered
966 Posts

(Sorry for the hijack!)
For the Meg, I have a deluxe o ring set (includes o-ring spares plus the odd bit's and pieces you might need, such as flapper valves, springs, canister latches - $85) and spare o2 cell. That's pretty much it.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
It depends totaly on you dive calinder and comitments.

I have a compleat spare head for my CCR. I cant aford to miss dives when we always book two day + gigs. I am planning a trip to Mexico cave diving and there is no way Id turn up without a spare head. A unit failure on day one would not be worth contemplating.

This is one of the reasions i went for the KISS as a spare head was pretty cheep and there was so little to go wrong in the first place.

As for anual running costs? They are considerably lower than the equivlent for a seasion of OC Trimix diving and about double what a twin set + single stage diver would expect. Say £300-400 a year.

ATB

Mark

·
DIR since '64
261 Posts
It depends totaly on you dive calinder and comitments.
Exactly

I have just done 2 days diving. Got 2 days off then 5 ( Plymouth ) then 2 local. All mix dives.

No time to get spares. Basically while I fill the scrubber, the bottles are being filled on the compressor. Assembled, into the car and away. If there are breakages/failures I have to be able to fix them properly at home.

·
rEvolutionary Diving
4,542 Posts
It's not meant to be a smug comment, but "if you have to ask you can't afford it" now you used to hear this about the cost of a Rolls Royce but really, I read so much shit on the Inspiration list about rechargeable batteries and saving lime.

People pay thousands for the kit and training, next they use holidays up and spend cash getting to the dive sites. Petrol, accommodation boat fees etc. and they want to push the scrubber and use cheap shit batteries and a 10/50 (poor mans mix) mix for a 40 metre dive.

People die on rebreathers, often. Do you really want to save money on spares and maintenance?

Sorry if you see it as a rant but it really doesn't matter what it costs, how much is your life worth?

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
I agree with Simon.
people spend a great deal of money getting to and from dives. Then question if they can push the scrubber for another dive! Arrgghh!
Just treat the unit (any unit) with respect and TLC. Spend on it what you think your life is worth.
(at the moment mine is worth about thruppence...)

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
I agree with Simon.
people spend a great deal of money getting to and from dives. Then question if they can push the scrubber for another dive! Arrgghh!
Just treat the unit (any unit) with respect and TLC. Spend on it what you think your life is worth.
(at the moment mine is worth about thruppence...)
Now I know why you spend tuppence and keep the change :D

·
Retired depth-junkie, just a holiday scooby now
1,130 Posts
It's not meant to be a smug comment, but "if you have to ask you can't afford it" now you used to hear this about the cost of a Rolls Royce but really, I read so much shit on the Inspiration list about rechargeable batteries and saving lime.

People pay thousands for the kit and training, next they use holidays up and spend cash getting to the dive sites. Petrol, accommodation boat fees etc. and they want to push the scrubber and use cheap shit batteries and a 10/50 (poor mans mix) mix for a 40 metre dive.

People die on rebreathers, often. Do you really want to save money on spares and maintenance?

Sorry if you see it as a rant but it really doesn't matter what it costs, how much is your life worth?

Now i agree with all of the above excluding the 10/50 "poor mans mix". nowt poor about it, its a conveinant mix to fill and remix with out the need for helium analisers (all you need is a calculater and a brain) great for when you need to mix you own gas in the field on more expedition type diving, good for PO2 calcs at depth. Covers a good wide range of depths upto 100m.

I personly use 10/50 for all my diving, i very rarely dive less than 40-50m but on the odd occasion i have used it as shalow as 18-20m becuase if the truth be told if you running a 1.3sp you are not diving 10/50 infact you are diving something like 46/31 granted its a piss take diving 46/31 on a bimble, but if i got 100bar of 10/50 left after a deep dive and a m8 wants to go and test some kit in a 20m deep puddle too right i would use the gas i have left, then i just go and easy remix ready for my next deep un. If your that worried about it on ascent just swith of the ADV from 10m up, and if you need a bit of gas because you vented a bit too much just pump in some O2 instead.

I personley isolate my ADV from about 12-10m as standard anyway as its O2 from there up for any needed gas addition is needed.

ATB
Gareth

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
Spares that I keep are a complete kidney & display set, spare MAV, spare capped 1st stage (which will work for the dil side as well as O2), spare DSV and loop hoses (from a Draeger FGT). Not a cheap set but it does mean that if something craps out before a dive then I can just swap a complete working unit rather than fannying around with o-rings and springs, etc.

I permanently disabled my Paragon because it is particularly crap.

As for running costs, depends on what you are diving. Lime and gas varies with your diving. Cells are pretty much a set every 12-18months. I've got mine on 3mth cycles, so one needs replacing every 3mths rather than all at once. You'll need some cylinders and regs for bailout bottles. If all goes well then they'll never be used so you'll end up with a load of bottles to cover various dives. If it goes Pete Tong and you need to use a bailouit bottle then chances are it'll be out of test when you go to get it filled so count on about £30 every time you have to bailout :D

Rebreathers aren't a cheap or easy hobby. If helium was reasonable I wouldn't have bothered.

Cheers,

Stuart

·
rEvolutionary Diving
4,542 Posts
Now i agree with all of the above excluding the 10/50 "poor mans mix". nowt poor about it, its a conveinant mix to fill and remix with out the need for helium analisers (all you need is a calculater and a brain) great for when you need to mix you own gas in the field on more expedition type diving, good for PO2 calcs at depth. Covers a good wide range of depths upto 100m.
I know that you use it and I know that your diving is in the range where a hypoxic mix is needed. I have used it because it's easy to obtain in Egypt but if I'm diving in a a Normoxic range then I use a Normoxic mix. It's just one thing less to think about when the brown stuff hits the twirly thing.

We both know that the 10/50 has been responsible for one death. I have an ali 80 with an 18/40 that I boost into the dil. I then take the 80 as a slung. It's good from the surface to nearly 80 metres and I'm diving it on all dives sub 30 metres.

I'm in Wastwater tomorrow if you fancy it.

·
Retired depth-junkie, just a holiday scooby now
1,130 Posts
I know that you use it and I know that your diving is in the range where a hypoxic mix is needed. I have used it because it's easy to obtain in Egypt but if I'm diving in a a Normoxic range then I use a Normoxic mix. It's just one thing less to think about when the brown stuff hits the twirly thing.

We both know that the 10/50 has been responsible for one death. I have an ali 80 with an 18/40 that I boost into the dil. I then take the 80 as a slung. It's good from the surface to nearly 80 metres and I'm diving it on all dives sub 30 metres.

I'm in Wastwater tomorrow if you fancy it.

Diving 10/50 IMHO is no worse than diving an air DIL, DIL is DIL not the acual gas you are breathing during the dive. If someone dies diving 10/50 i think it is more user error than the DIL at fault.

18/40 is not a good dil for dives upto 80m (1.62 PPO2 @ 80m) pretty high for a dil what about need for DIL flushes.

18/40 is good for 56m max as a DIL on a unit m8 (PPO2 of 1.2 @ 56m) so just good enough for a succesful DIL flush. OC it is a different matter as i use the highest O2 content possible for my bailout tins 15/55 from 100m.

15/55 is agood DIL upto 70m mark, but after that it has to be a DIL getting in the hypoxic range.

The remixs of trimix in 3ltr bottles is also a pain in the ass, where as heliair can be remixed again and again and again......you get point. So long as you know the 02 content you know excatly the helium content with out the need for helium analsiers.

Having the ideal gas mix dil...alla OC is just not necersery on CCR IMHO as the unit does the best mix calcs for you. Bailout is a differnet matter.

Working tomorrow m8, next dive is next week on Richard Greens Ireland gig on some undived's in the 80-94m region guess what DIL i will be using:)

Keep safe

ATB
Gareth

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.