YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i wanted to ask a question, when you go diving you take bail out gasses why cant you use a bail out rebreather? like This and then keep to the one cylinder type bail out rather than two?

IE if i had a meg could i not have one of those EDO04's or the EDO08 as a bail out? or am i being stupid

Graham

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
i wanted to ask a question, when you go diving you take bail out gasses why cant you use a bail out rebreather? like This and then keep to the one cylinder type bail out rather than two?

IE if i had a meg could i not have one of those EDO04's or the EDO08 as a bail out? or am i being stupid

Graham

Bail out CCR is not easy to run and therefore few dives warrant the hassle. If I were doing stuff like Dr Mike or DrJM id take a bailout breather like this one modeled by the lovely Ammers.

The problem is the loop is dynamic so you have to maintain two breathable loops throughout the dive. This is not as easy as it may sound and I suspect would introduces heavy task loading into a dive. I thought about it a few times and concluded id bail to OC to give me time to sort out the back up ccr and get on loop again.

There is also the added problem that CCRs are not as simple and straight forward to use. As a result the probability of your bailout CR having failed during the dive is a serious consideration.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
46 Posts

Graham
At what depths are you looking at?

Dont you think it would be better to put 2 megs together (or any other ccr) instead of using one of those ED things your bail out should be as good as your usual rig if not better!
I think you will find that it is the task loading and doing a cold swap at depth that is the problem DrMike and AM had a heated discussion over on deeparmchair about doing such swaps

Nice to see a banned members photo popping up! Has she given her consent Mark?
nice looking joki :angel:

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Nice to see a banned members photo popping up! Has she given her consent Mark?
nice looking joker :angel:
She gave me the pick and she knows my phone number if she has a problem with it. One call and Ill delete it but I don't see why as its hardly offensive. I never made any comment about it apart from "this is what a bailout rebreather looks like in use???"

She may be banned from here but I still have enormous respect for her diving and her opinions as a "been there done that type diver".

She was band for her "in your face" attitude that didn't sit well on a general dive forum like YD. It was an unfortunate but possibly necessary act on behalf of the YD mods.

Ammers has always offered help to other divers (sometimes whether they liked it / appreciated it or not :D) and i am reasonably confident she would not take offense at me showing a pic that she has used as an Avatar in the past.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
i wanted to ask a question, when you go diving you take bail out gasses why cant you use a bail out rebreather?
It's enough annoyance looking after one of the d**n things let alone two.

Shallow I'll bail out on the onboard (never have had to yet) deeper I carry a couple of 7Ls. If I ever progress beyond that I'll probably rick getting a bit bent and take bailout I can carry.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Just consider the bailout required for a dive. Consider any decent tech diver has to have a SAC of less than 20 and the potential for team bailout (assuming you consider a team member less likely to fail than a rebreather, which I do) and you can carry vast amounts of bailout OC. I currently consider my limit to be 4 AL80s, and I would expect whoever I am diving with to be able to carry at least 2 or 3. So that means around 6-7 AL80s plus any use you can get out of the breather (electronics failure still allowing you to run an O2 breather at 6m for example) and drop tanks from the surface, or staged by other divers on big dives, and there isn't really a need for a BOB.

Of course, if you choose to dive solo, have a high SAC in an environment where drop and staged tanks aren't possible, then you have a case. Otherwise you have another loop to worry about, which isn't massively difficult IMO, but is a whole lot more hassle than carrying multiple stages, and has more potential to fail.

Digs.

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
I've considered using my O2 rebreather as a manual SCR bailout for cave diving. Psychologically though I'm not comfortable with switching immediately to a RB, I'd still probably bail to OC immediately. In situations where I've had to bailout I wanted gas there and then, fannying around with a second loop would be the last thing I wanted. And even with more RB's than I could shake a stick at I'd still want enough OC gas to get home on.

Incidentally, the guys who build the EDO series of rebreathers dive with no open circuit gas at all. They may have changed their setups but when I dived with them they didn't even have OC access via a BOB. Michael let me have a go on his rig when I was considering buying an EDO-04:

It was feckin heavy and I found it hard relaxing with no bailout. Not for me. They dive it like independant twinsets rather than as a bailout RB i.e. they do 15min on one loop then swap to the other for 15min then swap back, etc.

I'm sure there are situations where gas requirements would justify a second loop but those situations would exceed the normal scrubber life of my KISS so it's a bit of a moot point for me. That said I have kept my O2 rig for deco where I know the scrubber life is going to be nearing its limits.

Cheers,

Stuart

·
rEvolutionary Diving
4,542 Posts
I understand that many commercial divers use ccr as a bailout for umbilical failure. However I too think that it is a little dodgy having a cold scrubber but you can always dive it semi closed for the first few mins.

So Far as Ann Marie is concerned I'm sure that she will let Chasey know if she doesn't want the picture on here. I have to agree with him though, she was a great help to me after my bend, went well out her way for me and I'd never even met her till then.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.