YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rebreather Forum 2 was held in the States in 1996. The subsequent Conference Proceedings were published and they're still considered an exceptionally useful reference paper. Here's a link. http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/dspace/bitstream/123456789/7555/1/DSAT_Rebreather_2.0.pdf

Over the last 18 years rebreather technology, ethos, training et al has changed radically. There is now a need for peer review of current thinking and as a rebreather diver / instructor / manufacturer you can be part of it. Rebreather Forum 3 will be held on Friday 18th - Sunday 20th May 2012 in Orlando. It's going to be the biggest rebreather conference to date so come and join the party and be part of a significant event in rebreather thinking. No ideas on confirmed Speakers yet, but I did hear Simon Mitchells name being mentioned.

For fans of Inner Space worried that this will clash with Rebreather Forum 3, no need to fret. Nancy at DiveTech has been an absolute star and she's moved Inner Space by a week. This brilliant rebreather event on Grand Cayman will be held one week later from Saturday 26th May - Saturday 2nd June 2012.

As soon as I have more details I'll post them.

Reactions: Ivon

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am delighted to announce that Shearwater Research http://www.shearwaterresearch.com/ (computers for technical divers) is an official Rebreather Forum 3 Gold Supporter. Thank you Bruce and Lynne.

More news to follow shortly.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am delighted to announce that rEvo http://www.revo-rebreathers.com/ (the European based Rebreather Manufacturer) is an official Rebreather Forum 3 Gold Supporter. Thank you Paul.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am really pleased to announce that Juergensen Marine http://www.rebreather.us/ (the USA based Rebreather Manufacturer) is an official Rebreather Forum 3 Gold Supporter. Thank you Kevin.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
At the moment I don't think so I am afraid. (The last time this happened was in 1996). I personally believe the closest thing to this in the UK or Europe really is EUROTEK, but I am more than happy to be corrected. The difference with Rebreather Forum 3 is that it is a Scientific Conference. They want to get Peer Review of certain topics with a view to publishing a number of scientific papers. The programme / speakers / panelists / topics in detail have not been finalised yet, but from what I have seen it is going to be really useful and highly educational to take part. I am so looking forward to having the opportunity to be able to sit in and hear stuff (unlike EUROTEK, where I arrange lots and hear nothing). I do know that the following topics are going to be discussed:

- State of the Art
- Rebreather Incident Review
- Physiology and Rebreathers
- Rebreather Design, Construction & Testing
- Training and Operations
- Rebreathers in Expeditionary Diving
- Recommendations & Findings: What is the Future and How Do We Get There?

The people invited to submit papers and speak will be the "Whose Who" of Rebreather Diving; ie the Simon Mitchell's of this World. As soon as I know more I'll let you know. A number of Brits have already expressed an interest in attending. It, like EUROTEK, is a not-for-profit event, so costs are being kept as low as possible. However I am dealing with the States and they have things like 22.5% Service Charge *gulp* on everything! (And there is no negotiation what so ever on this Charge, and please don't even mention the Crew gratuites).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reactions: GLOC

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After 18 months of planning and organisation, I'm delighted to announce that the Rebreather Forum 3 website is now up, live and taking registrations for next year's conference. Rebreather Forum 3 - RF3 Summary | Online Registration by Cvent

The last time the Rebreather Forum was held was in 1996, therefore this will be the biggest global rebreather event held to date, and highly significant to the entire rebreather community.

New breather divers, experienced breather divers, breather instructors and breather instructor trainers will all get something from this scientific conference. There are some top notch renowned experts and speakers involved including; Gavin Anthony, Andrew Fock, Kevin Gurr, Michael Menduno, Simon Mitchell, Martin Parker, Richard Pyle, Phil Short and Bill Stone.

All ticket prices include the Caribe Royale 22% Service Charge and Sales Tax 6.5%. Early Bird Tickets start from US$545 (approx £350) for;

• Explorer Day Ticket
• Rebreather Forum 3 Conference Ticket
• Morning Coffee and Afternoon Tea Beverage Breaks (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)
• An all American Private Buffet Banquet Breakfast (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)
• Picnic Lunch (Friday)
• Two Course Lunch (Saturday and Sunday)

If you want to stay at the RF3 Venue (where all the action) is then Early Bird tickets start from US$800 (approx £515) for;

• Explorer Day Ticket
• Rebreather Forum 3 Conference Ticket
• In-suite internet access (including poolside and some public areas)
• Morning Coffee and Afternoon Tea Beverage Breaks (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)
• An all American Private Buffet Banquet Breakfast (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)
• Picnic Lunch (Friday)
• Two Course Lunch (Saturday and Sunday)
• Three free entries to win a luxury holiday to the Cayman Islands worth over US$3,000 courtesy of Nancy Easterbrook of Divetech (http://www.divetech.com/) / Inner Space (Inner Space Week)

This ticket includes three nights accommodation at the Caribe Royale (Thurs 17, Fri 18 and Sat 19 May 2012). And when you share with a fellow RF3 delegate you both save US$90 on your tickets because it's US$710 (approx £460 each).

As we get closer to the event, the RF3 website will be updated, ie synopsis of talks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Happy New Year everyone!

I've got exciting news regarding RF3. We now have three types of ticket to suit every delegates desire and pocket.

The Entry Level 'Tin' (Conference and beverage breaks) is US$290 (approx £185*). However if you book before 1st February, it's US$275 (approx £175*)

Then we have Conference, breakfast, lunch, beverage breaks /non accommodation tickets;
'Brass' @ US$645 / £412*
'Steel' @ US$715 / £457*
'Bronze' @ US$805 / £514*

Steel includes a Loud Shirt Party ticket and Bronze includes a Gala Dinner and Loud Shirt Party ticket.

Book before 1st February and they're;
'Brass' US$545 / £348*
'Steel' US$615* / £393*
'Bronze' US$705 / £450*

Finally we have Conference, breakfast, lunch, beverage breaks plus three nights accommodation tickets;
'Silver' @ US$880 / £562*
'Gold' US$960 / £613*
'Platinum' US$1,050 / £671*

Book before 1st February and they're;
'Silver' US$780 / £498*
'Gold' US$860 / £549*
'Platinum' US$905 / £578*

FYI Gold includes a Loud Shirt Party ticket and Platinum includes a Gala Dinner and Loud Shirt Party ticket.

RF3 is going to be held at the Caribe Royale All-Suite Hotel and Convention Center http://www.thecaribeorlando.com/caribe-royale/, which is a mere twenty minute drive from the Orlando International Airport. And the accommodation is jaw dropping. This is an award winning hotel with a modern finish. (All the spacious spacious elegantly-appointed suites and villas have recently been refurbished at a cost of US$25 million and they are decorated in a contemporary manner). It's got two swimming pools, and a two storey state-of-the-art Fitness Centre. Gym entry is complimentary for all guests. I stayed at the Caribe last March to check it out and it's stunning. You really won't be disappointed.

It's worth noting that if you book a Silver, Gold or Platinum ticket and share with a fellow RF3 delegate you both save US$90 / £57* each on your tickets.

And everyone who books a Silver, Gold or Platinum ticket automatically gets three free entries to win a luxury holiday to the Cayman Islands worth over US$3,300 courtesy of Nancy Easterbrook of Divetech Grand Cayman scuba diving cayman island scuba diving cayman island scuba resort cayman scuba training cayman cayman island scuba grand cayman scuba dive cayman islands scuba diving scuba diving in grand cayman scuba diving cayman scuba diving on gran / Inner Space Inner Space Week. With 500 people attending this event, that makes amazing odds. :)

We've also catered for divers who want to book a 'room only' package and you've got the ability to share up to 4 to a room and this rate can be booked from Monday 14th through to Wednesday 23rd May inclusive. So if you want to fly in early or stay a bit later with friends and family, this is a great option.

Double Queen Suite - US$190, with Sales Tax US$122.62 / £78*
Standard King Suite -US$119, with Sales Tax US$133.87 / £85*
Deluxe King Suite - US$129, with Sales Tax US$145.12 / £92*
Villa - US$189, with Sales Tax US$212.62 / £135*

And this is also a handy option for those booking Silver, Gold and Platinum tickets, because they can also extend their stay using this exceptional 'room only' option.

All these prices include relevant sales taxes and service fees.

I've now had divers book in from Puerto Rico, Australia, UK and USA. (Gareth Lock, Mark Powell, Martin Robson, Phil Short and Paul Toomer are all attending RF3). This truly is going to be a significant rebreather event. The full Speaking Schedule is available on the website. Any questions, feel free to email me at rozATtumcDOTcoDOTuk

Both Virgin and BA have got flights sales on at present, so book your place at Rebreather Forum 3. It's happening in 137 days and counting and will be the most significant rebreather event this decade. Log onto Rebreather Forum 3 - RF3 Summary | Online Registration by Cvent and be part of this key peer review of the state of the art.

* Prices converted using XE.com on 4th January 2012

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Roz,

I really like the changes you've made. There are now options for every diver. You can just buy a conference ticket and drive home at night if you're local, or you can get rooms and conference, or you can get packages with meals and entertainment, and rooms all the way up to villas.

It looks like there is something for everyone.

Bruce

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
AFAIK it is on a not-for-profit basis.

Having spoken to Roz, the hosting costs for these events are stupidly massive. Invariably they are run in centres which are used to large corporate events and charge accordingly. For example, the AV provision for the Eurotek dinner was something like £10k originally until someone known to this community who does AV for a living said they could do it for a fraction of the cost, then the ICC dropped their prices.

Not-for-profit doesn't mean that people who are organising it don't get paid, they have to earn a living, but the presenters don't get paid, only their travel expenses are covered. I also know that many people who present wouldn't want to get paid as that undermines their independence and impartiality.

Regards

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'm just wondering who's hosting this? Where do the profit's go or is it not for profit?
Hi Simon

I guess that you are not asking who is hosting it, i.e. the Caribe Royale Hotel in Orlando. Rather who is the organising team behind this?

Rebreather Forum 3 is being powered by the AAUS (American Academy of Underwater Science), DAN and PADI. If you've not heard of the AAUS I am not surprised and it is no reflection on your knowledge or standing. I'd not come across them either before being appointed to this event. They fly well below the radar and they're the body that set the standards for scientific diving in the States.

I can't say that RF3 is 'not for profit' because I've been advised it has a specific meaning in the USA. However I can confirm that RF3 is a non commerical / break even event. It is not being run to raise money. Rebreather Forum 3 has been convened to review the state of the art and get peer consensus so it just needs to pay for itself. It's been 16 years since Rebreather Forum 2 and a lot has happened in the field of rebreathers. (For instance in 1999 rEvo was born). You only need to look at the last 5 years to see there has been massive changes, such as the launch of the Type "R" breathers. Therefore the idea is to get several views in one room from many different backgrounds and distill / agree to reach a common set of objectives. I can confirm that the rebreather industry and RESA are fully supporting this event and we have relevant experts talking; i.e. Gavin Anthony, Andrew Foch, Simon Mitchell, Rich Pyle, Simon Mitchell and Bill Stone. (There are loads of people who have never heard him speak in public).

So far I've had just shy of 80 people book in via Rebreather Forum 3 - RF3 Summary | Online Registration by Cvent The delegates confirmed so far are varied. From rebreather divers, to instructors, instructor trainers, dive centre managers and owners, boat captains, government bodies, military and medical. And they are from all over the World; Oz, Egypt, Italy, Austria, France, UK, Canada, Puerto Rico, Galapagos, Cayman Islands and of course the USA.

As Gareth says the costs on this have been stupidly massive and as it's being held in the States I have things like the Unions to deal with. For anyone who has exhibited in the States I only have to say one word and they will understand where I am coming from. "Drayage".

There will be a set of conference proceedings published post the event. In the meantime Rebreather Forum 2 conference proceedings can be downloaded from the Rubicon Foundation and they do make very interesting reading. I've got a copy. (A piece of trivia for you. Michael Menduo of aquaCORPS fame organised RF1 and RF2).

We've done everything we can to make RF3 accessible for everyone, i.e. introducing Conference Tickets starting from US$290 / approx £187.

I hope that this answers your questions Simon, but if you want to know more, please get in touch. FYI I know that rEvo are doing an instructor update there.

Cheers
- Roz

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've just been doing some maths to respond to a posting on Rebreather World, and thougth it would be sensible to repost it here.

Consider RF3 from a completely different angle. Last year I paid approx $185 / £120 to watch Richie Blackmore of Deep Purple fame play a 3 hour concert. He was brilliant, hugely entertaining. And actually I had such an amazing time that three days later I took a days holiday and travelled to the next venue he was playing at and crossed my fingers for late return tickets. The Gods smiled. I paid another $185 and watched him play again, and unsurprisingly, that price didn't include drinks.

RF3 will be the 'Woodstock or LiveAid of Rebreathers'. Look at who you've got speaking; Gain Anthony, Ed Betts, Jeff Bozanic, Mark Caney, Brian Carney, John Clarke, David Concannon, David Cowgill, Petar Denoble, Joe Dituri, David Doolette, Nancy Easterbrook, Andrew Foch, Oskar Franberg, Jill Heinerth, Lamar Hires, Richie Kohler, Evan Kovacs, Steve Lewis, Michael Menduno, Simon Mitchell, Dan Orr, Martin Parker, Bruce Partridge, Dave Pence, Neal Pollock, Richard Pyle, Paul Raymaekers, Drew Richardson, Martin Robson, Mike Runkle, Phil Short, Arnie Sieber, Peter Sieniewicz, Kim Smith, Terrance Tysall, Richard Vann, Mike Ward and Dan Warkander in one room.

Some of the names you really won't recognise because they don't normally attend or present at tech conferences / events. They are more likely to speak at conferences such as SPUMS (South Pacific Undewater Medicine Society). However they are the acknowledged and respected experts in their field. And they are also people who were not chosen lightly. There's been two years of planning RF3 and 16 years since the last one.

Professor Bill Stone is speaking. Just how many of you have ever heard him speak in public? It really doesn't happen very often.

And guess what. They're approachable. You can walk up to Richard Pyle and talk to him about deep stops. You've got incredible access to huge amounts of knowledge right there, in your face.

There's 35 hours of presentations / talks scheduled. That works out at $8.25 / £5.34* per hour (Tin Ticket @ $290) to listen to global experts and renowned speakers compared to $61 per hour to listen to Blackmore.

I'd say that RF3 is cracking good value....and I don't know when the next one will be convened. If history repeats itself, it will be 2028.

* less than the adult minimum wage per hour in the UK

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.