YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I dont want to open this thread inside one where we are being respectfull of the divers relatives and the situation as I feel its inapropriate. However, as SteveW has pointed out this year is looking bad already, is there anything we can learn from these awful incidents that will help the rest of us avoid becoming another statistic. I'm sure there should be but is there a common theme running, I cant see one.

Matt

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>As we don't know the full story behind any incident in the last few months I'd leave any comment about fatalities to one side.

However, particularly at this time of year there are a few things worth bearing in mind IMHO.

Make sure you're fit to dive
Make sure your equipment is fit for diving
Dive within your training and experience
Never be scared to call a dive
and finally ... be lucky.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Imported post

As tragic as these incidents are, don't forget that they are few and far between,(hopefully!).

This Easter has been the busiest I've seen in Ardmucknish Bay.
At times, boats were literally queueing up to drop divers on the Breda and as fast as one boat left, another one arrived. It got to a point on Sunday afternoon when from my window I could see a discoloured cloud in the water over the wreck!!

One of our non-diving, rib-owning caravanners at the site told me that ribs were having to queue for the slipway at Puffin and you couldn't stick a pin in the carpark.

As I said, tragedies do happen but let's not forget the number of dives that are done without incident.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gavin Yates @ April 13 2004,17:14)]and finally ... be lucky.
Thats got my vote.

When you look at the incidents involving John Bennit and Michael Norwood it is aparent that all the training expertees  and equipment in the world is sometimes not enough. Diving exposes us to a very unforgiving environment made worse by our desire to clamber over colapsing wrecks and into tunnels and the enforced low visabuility and darkness often confronting a UK diver.

Sometimes its just bad luck. The only thing that makes me put it to the back of my mind is the realisation that driving to work tomorow is far more likley to kill me than the diving.

Mark Chase

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Imported post

I think I would have to place some of the blame on 'resort diving.' Not knowing the experience or training of those who have lost there lives I might be wrong but.....

Diving has got to the stage where if you ask some one if they are a diver they will say yes. Just the same as I would say yes if you asked if I was a skiier. I do it while on holiday.
The problem starts when these 'trained' divers decided that they enjoyed what they did on holiday and feel like a dive without the benefit of dive masters following them, or all the back up a properly run dive centre offers. They pack their dive gear and happily trudge off to the nearest water they can find that they have heard is good for diving. Then half way through the dive conditions that they just aren't used to or prepared for hits them, with the inevitable result.

As I have said, maybe I am wrong, but I dive in warm water all the time now and I train people to dive here. However, there are a good number of members of our club I would not let loose in the UK without several hours of further training. They are perfectly happy with 15m viz and a thin wetsuit but I could not see them with a drysuit, extra lead and 1 foot viz.

Yes 'we' are all sensible enough to know our own limitations but not everyone is and once you have a qualification it does not say on it 'warm, clear water only' on it. What can be done?  I don't know, but a good start would be for training agencies to stress that condidtions vary all over the world and you WILL need more training if you go else where to dive.

Just my personal gripe....please excuse me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts