YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
'we are here for a good time, not a long time'
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into the possibility of buying a netbook, now i have never even seen one close up yet alone used one (but i have been using laptops for the last 8+ years).

It NEEDS it to have:
Bluetooth (to connect to a Bluetooth GPS receiver, for a truck sat nav & i don't really want to use my Bluetooth dongle)
Decent battery life / cheap 12/24v charger available
Rugged/well built - it will be 'thrown' in a bag at the end of the day (will probably be in a neoprene sleeve)

It would be nice to have:
10" screen
Windows 7
Excel compatible

I will be using it mainly for the sat nav (before you suggest buying a stand alone sat nav, these are typically £400+ for a truck one - weight, height and width limits included), browsing the 'net, doing time-sheets (Excel), e-mails, running a car diagnostic software (VCDS) and uploading dives / photo's when on holiday.

Is 1GB really enough to run Windows 7 on a netbook?

I do like Dell laptops and PC's, but as i said have not seen one yet - although i am not impressed with the 'truelife' (shiny) screen on my Studio laptop, although i am sure that is something i will probably have to live with. :sad:

Ideally between £200 - £300.

Over to you.....

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I did have one (a Dell Mini 10) for a short while. It was mostly fine, looked very nice, very portable, and could certainly do all that you wanted. It wasn't terribly fast with some things, though I was trying to run Photoshop on it so maybe I'm just a difficult customer!

Personally I wouldn't get another one with 1GB RAM - I'd want 2GB as a minimum. You could probably get away with 1GB, but I'd be much happier with the extra there when needed.

Incidentally, I got mine from the Dell Outlet, which was indistinguishable from new, with a fairly good discount.

·
Another Random Diver
273 Posts
Maybe this:

HP Mini 210-1000sa Netbook - Netbooks at Ebuyer

Has the bluetooth, 1GB Ram, 160GB HDD, etc.

I personally use an Acer Aspire One D150, but it doesnt come with bluetooth, but the spec is pretty much the same as the HP above. Other ones to look at, well the Samsung NC-10 is an obvious choice.

Samsung NC10 Netbook - Netbooks at Ebuyer

Oh and you can buy a second stick of ddr2 for about £23 at ebuyer so upgrading it should be easy enough if you decide you need the 2GB. I dont know for windows 7, i use XP and 1GB is more than adequate.

·
Gettin' busy with the fizzy..
708 Posts
i've used a dell mini 10v and the only problem i found was the screen res was 1024 by 600 which meant that normal xp windows did not display right and need a hell of a lot of scrolling if you can get one that runs at 1024 by 768 or a more native screen res i'm sure it would make a lot better user experience

·
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally I wouldn't get another one with 1GB RAM - I'd want 2GB as a minimum. You could probably get away with 1GB, but I'd be much happier with the extra there when needed.

Incidentally, I got mine from the Dell Outlet, which was indistinguishable from new, with a fairly good discount.
I have bought a couple of 'used/returned' PC's from their outlet and the only 'damage' was a 1/2" scratch, well impressed :thumbsup:

Hello,

I've just got a Samsung N150, does all you asked for and for about £30 I'm upgrading it to 2GB. Battery life is 8 hours or so.

Seems pretty good.

Hope this helps
Ian
I will have a look at the Samung and Matt's links, from what i have seen so fat (limited re-search) im pretty sure the Dell is maxed out at 1GB

·
learning to speak 'suvvernese'
186 Posts
I've got a Dell mini10, the new ones run windows7 as standard, does pretty much everything I want it to, think it was about £60 to add the bluetooth and 6cell battery (life of approx 8 hours) instead of the standard 3cell (about 3hours).

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
Other ones to look at, well the Samsung NC-10 is an obvious choice.

Samsung NC10 Netbook - Netbooks at Ebuyer

Oh and you can buy a second stick of ddr2 for about £23 at ebuyer so upgrading it should be easy enough if you decide you need the 2GB. I dont know for windows 7, i use XP and 1GB is more than adequate.

I have nc10 with 2gig upgrade its fantastic :) well now it got a 500 gig drive too...

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I've also got the Samsung NC10, which I put 2GB in. Note there is only one ram slot so you have to buy a 2gb rather than an additional 1gb. The battery life is excellent, I've used it for watching films on the 7 hour flight to here along with some browsing/skype while at airports and I've not run out of power yet.

Mine has XP, and I've had no issues with it crashing or anything ... yet (I have no doubt it will crash in due time)

Comes with Bluetooth, so meets that requirement, but I can't claim it's rugged as I take care of my computers ;)

Arfie

·
No social integrator
4,457 Posts
I have an NC10 with 2Gb RAM. It's very good.

Not sure about the benefits of Windows 7 on a netbook. XP does everything I need, and I don't see the point of slowing it down any.

I have nc10 with 2gig upgrade its fantastic :) well now it got a 500 gig drive too...
Ooh nice idea :). How did you get the OS back on it?

·
Mad as a Haddock
2,206 Posts
I have an hp 2133 which is quite rugged, all Ali case, but the battery life is poor, about 90mins. I'm running Ubuntu on it so not sure about Win7. Has bt, wifi etc.

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
yep my nc10 gives 8 hours or so... so long you forget to charge it . after a day at work and the lo bat thing comes as a plesent supprize :)

·
The Smoking GNU lives!
949 Posts
Yep, NC10 is excellent. I run Windows 7 on it (m$ gave me a free Ultimate copy) and it works very well.

Battery life is excellent. I even run VMware Workstation on it with no problems.

I did upgrade the RAM though to the max..

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Instead of worrying too much about getting a rugged one, just buy an accidental damage, loss and theft policy, that way if you do lob it in the bag and it gets damaged they'll replace it.

Almost all manufacturers offer this, or you can buy separate policy for it.

Digs.

·
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, it does look like there is a clear leader with the Samsung machines. (does anyone know if the Dell netbooks/motherboard can take a 2GB upgrade?)
The accidental insurance is also a good idea and something i was going to look into before buying anything, which would cover anything major happening to it, but i also would like something that will take the odd knock without falling to bits.

Sent using Tapatalk Nokia Beta version.

·
Ian France
82 Posts
Hello,

I found this:

"Dell’s fantastic looking Mini 10 has a few features that distinguish it from the normal netbook crowd, and one that means you probably shouldn’t buy it. The machine, which could be pre-ordered from last week, is supplied with 1GB RAM, a pretty usual configuration. The problem? It cannot be upgraded."

I do recommend the Samsung N150, upgradedable, and a faster processor than the NC10

HTH
Ian​

·
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello,

I found this:

"Dell’s fantastic looking Mini 10 has a few features that distinguish it from the normal netbook crowd, and one that means you probably shouldn’t buy it. The machine, which could be pre-ordered from last week, is supplied with 1GB RAM, a pretty usual configuration. The problem? It cannot be upgraded."

I do recommend the Samsung N150, upgradedable, and a faster processor than the NC10

HTH
Ian​
I have just seen a walk through on youtube on how to upgrade the RAM on the Dell netbooks - it does however require almost the whole netbook being taken apart, so it's not a 5 min job!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts