YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had enough of paying through the nose for HP cartridges, 25 quid a pop, it seems all the other brands are around a tenner but there are more options than I can be bothered with, life is too short.

I use it for general home office type stuff, mainly running off pro forma site notes. I would like it to be wifi so I can access it from the laptops, this is not essential though as I can move files between comps on memory sticks if I need to print from the lappys.

I dont want to pay a fortune, Kodak and epson seem to have deals in the 60 - 100 quid range.

So YD techno boffs......what should I buy..

And yes...I know I can get the carts refilled but the nearest place is 20 mins drive and staples is five mins away.... time is money.....and the inks are watered down...

Thank you kind people

·
Banned
3,724 Posts
The reason the HP cartridges are so much is that the print head (think injector on a car) is on the cartridge. This means they're ideal for people who use the printer infrequently. Nearly all schools in the UK opt for HP printers, because they're left dormant for 7 weeks over the summer.

If you have the print heads built into the printer, which is the case with printers with cheap cartridges, then you can end up having an unusable printer after you've been on holiday for 3 weeks. It is possible to unblock the print heads by soaking them in alcohol etc... but TBH, it's such a ball ache, and it never works 100% again afterward.

Oh yeah, I missed a bit.... the print heads get blocked because the ink dries inside them...

so, cheap cartridges - might have to replace printer after a long spell of non-use

HP - just replace the cartridge, and you're away.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I've got an Epson BX300F. It's an all in one printer/scanner/photocopier/fax (though I've never even tried to use the fax function). Print cartridges last well - the current set have been in about a year - and the print quality is good, even photos come out pretty well. USB interface only.

I also have an old HP LaserJet that I use for printing out text documents. It's cheap, quick and very good quality, and has a network card so I have it plugged in to the router and all 3 of our computers can use it. Cost me £60 about 4 years ago off ebay, I've had to replace the toner cartridge once in that time.

·
Still wet behind the ears ;)
266 Posts
Another vote for Epson. I left the HP stable for the exact same reason. Paid about £70 for a sx400 scanner/printer from Argos, cheap as chips to run, good quality too.

·
Banned
3,724 Posts
Epson do have some lovelly quality printers. beware the ones with the fancy 6 or 8 or 24 (I'm exaggerating) colour cartridges though - these are on sale for idiots who think that they need them to achieve photo quality.

any decent office type inkjet will do photo quality these days. Also beware the £30 -£60 ones in pc world.... you get what you pay for. if the cartridges are cheap, I'd say look to spend £100 or a bit more on getting a decent quality model. Many not the fanciest, but perhaps one of the base office models, rather than the cheap home models.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
There's loads of print brands to consider - Brother, OKI, Xerox, Canon, Samsung, Epson, HP, I could go on.

Worth having a look at the features for the same money, and the price of refills.

Personally in your position, if you aren't planning to sell the printer once it becomes redundant, I'd chuck third party consumables in there - the argument for not using them is that they could trash your printer and your warranty wouldn't cover it, but if you are about to buy a new printer because of it you might as well just chuck in the cheapest third party consumables you can find on mail order, and if it kills the printer you're in the same position you were in already.

You'd be amazed at the savings by using non-branded consumables, to be honest for a £100 printer you might as well risk it.

Digs.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Just got a Cannon MP492 from Argos, half price at £49. Might be worth a look?
You might want to investigate whether your Canon is one of those that does a cleaning cycle after each print run. Users have been finding that their colour cartridges have been emptying when they are not even used.

Good quality prints though.

I've just ordered an Epson Stylus Sx515w wireless job. I'll let you know what I think Paul if you have not got something quickly.

Adrian

Adrian

·
Registered
585 Posts
Just to add a 'don't buy' in the mix.... I've got an HP photosmart Plus B209a.
I should first say that it now works perfectly, I love it - the wireless is great from both macs and our dell laptop. It produces good prints, nice scanning feature on it, and copy too. It's quick to print, even wirelessly, and has the slots for the cards etc.
However, if you're after an easy going, no faff, cheap to run printer - this one is not for you. 3 colour cartridges plus black (ok they're only 8 quid per colour but still...), and the wireless was a mighty pain to set up and caused me a lot of grief.
As I say, now it's set up and on a good run, I love it - it's brilliant. But it's most certainly not what you're after so I wouldn't recommend it, or any others in that line I guess.
Hope that helps you at least eliminate one of the many choices!

Sarah

·
Open Wide
2,417 Posts
Any reason not to buy a cheap Laser? I got a BOGOF for less than £200 on an Lexmark colour C540 about a month ago, excellent stuff if you want colour but not photo stuff. Way cheaper to run than an inkjet. I use a separate Canon Inkjet for photo stuff.

·
Out of his depth
386 Posts
Yep, +1 for cheap lasers - I've had 2 in the past 10 years - I only upgraded my old one as my Mac didn't have a parallel port! The old one is still in use attached to my mum's computer.

I've had a Samsung, and now run a Brother HL-2030. If I want to do colour printing, I either do it at work ;) or I've also got a small canon selphy CP760 to print photos.

·
Cut the crap and go diving!
414 Posts
Epson for the cheaper printers, SX 515W is not bad, watch wireless problems with windoze 7(unless sorted now from early ones), ok with Vista though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts