YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
Which UK sites would you recommend to very new divers? (Me and my husband just passed our open water at the weekend. woohoo!!) We live in Essex but can travel.
cheers

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hi there
Which UK sites would you recommend to very new divers? (Me and my husband just passed our open water at the weekend. woohoo!!) We live in Essex but can travel.
cheers
Hi there

You might want to swing down to wittering divers in east wittering near chichester, west sussex. Thats not too far from essex. They have a full program of dives from a couple of big ribs and go to lots of dives that are good for newbies - such as the mulberry harbours or the t-pot. They are also a friendly bunch. When I started out diving in the UK I used to go down there all the time.

Cheers, Ant

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I live in Essex too and use Guildenberg in Peterborough for kit testing and training. It's about 90mins drive from the Dartford Crossing. Wraysbury is around the M25 but only has about 9m (if you take a shovel) whereas Gildy has a max 21m. Also has numerous platforms at depths from 3 - 15m.
Stoney Cove (Leicestershire) is about 2 and a half hours drive from the Dartford Crossing but is bigger and deeper than Gildy but another good training quarry. Viz is generally better at Stoney (unless you are behind me ;))

Sea wize, you have Swanage Pier in Dorset, fantastic dive, max depth of about 6m and Selsey Pier Lifeboat Station, about 5m max but lots of marine life.

If you both fancy a trip to Gildy to practice and would like some guidance gimme a shout, I'm sure we could arrange something.

Cheers,

Ian

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
The Far Mulberry (from Wittering Divers/Selsey) is a nice shallow dive. Swanage Pier is also a lovely dive, shallow but very interesting. Anything really that is 15/20m, with good viz and warm water. As you passed your OW I think you are limited to 18m(?). Are you in Drysuits, if you arent then the water temp wont really be high enough for a while yet (depending on your cold resistance). Cornwall has some lovely shallow shore dives too, although the sea conditions sometimes get a bit rough.
mate and I are going to do Selsey lifeboat pier tomorrow, which is very shallow (5m max) I'll post up what I think of it later, assuming we dont get blown out :)

Matt

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Another vote for the Mulberrys. Dived them last weekend and they were stunning. Big schools of Bib, lobsters, crabs, nudibranchs (one bright purple one, gorgeous), few pollack and lots of juveniles as well.

Portland harbour has sites suitable for what you want as well, plenty of boats in that area.

dan

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
I was going to say Swanage Pier, nice and shallow and safe. I still haven't dived there but I'm up for it if you fancy a bimble!! It's been an ambition for ages to go to Swanage (yes, I know, I have humble ambitions!!) :)

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Come on down to swanage,:sun: as said, plenty to tickle your fancy under the pier,
or if you are up for it perhaps a trip across the bay to the fluer-de lys. 12m on the wreck, and no more than 14m on a drift away from it. nice for a first boat dive/wreck dive. smb is neccesary if you plan to drift away from the wreck, so thats something to think about, also a good idea to carry one under the pier! just in case you decide to leave the area of the piles, boats operate from both sides so caution should be exercised.
mike.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
On the back of Mike's caution, are you ready to dive as a buddy pair alone?

Did you do any training in the sea? Sea conditions vary greatly from site to site as well as day to day (think tides and current), as well as entry conditions.

I am not trying to put you off Dobby, very much the opposite. Depending of where you might want to go, there are often members here willing to show new divers the ropes around their local sites. It's happened before.

Adrian

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. Thats very helpful. I can't wait to get out diving now. Just bought my first BCD and regs. woohoo :teeth:

Purplevonny- will defo let you know if/when ;) we go to swanage
JAG- we'll be sure to beg for your help if/when (lol) we decide to try out gildy. Thanks for the offer.

are you ready to dive as a buddy pair alone?

Did you do any training in the sea?
No to both. But the lucky thing is i know an expereinced diver who lives in selsey whoose offered to take us out to the lifeboat station (hello dad, if your reading, lol)

mattbin- how was your dive in selsey. hope you enjoyed it.

cheers again everyone for your suggestions. :teeth:

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. Thats very helpful. I can't wait to get out diving now. Just bought my first BCD and regs. woohoo :teeth:

Purplevonny- will defo let you know if/when ;) we go to swanage
JAG- we'll be sure to beg for your help if/when (lol) we decide to try out gildy. Thanks for the offer.

No to both. But the lucky thing is i know an expereinced diver who lives in selsey whoose offered to take us out to the lifeboat station (hello dad, if your reading, lol)

mattbin- how was your dive in selsey. hope you enjoyed it.

cheers again everyone for your suggestions. :teeth:
Excellent :)

·
Madame Wheelie-Bin
5,067 Posts
I qualified 2 years ago and the week after qualifying went to Swanage Pier. It was an excellent introduction to OW diving. Lots to see, great environment to be around all the other divers on the pier hanging around. Also, there's the legs/stilts (not sure the correct name!) of the pier to follow along, so it's tough to get lost. If you stick to under the pier it's a great experience. And it's enough to give you that sea water fix!

I was going to do the Selsey lifeboat pier, but it was hurricane force winds. Was gutted! I've heard there's fantastic wildlife under there and lots of cuttlefish? And the next plan is going out with Wittering Divers to do the Mulberrys. Was booked on a boat with them the year before last but the weather wasn't good! Heard they're great for novices.

Enjoy your diving, it's a FANTASTIC sport and great people. Really friendly! (So far!!!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts