YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>With lots of talk about recompression chambers on the site just now it got me wondering...if you had to get helicoptered to a chamber, how is this paid for?(the helicopter and the chamber). Is it a free service in the UK? Is it covered by the NHS? What happens if you have to go back for further treatment from an initial incident?

And if diving abroad but in an EU country, would the medical insurance offered by an E1-11 cover the same service?

·
Banned
7,008 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capel diver @ April 18 2004,11:17)]And if diving abroad but in an EU country, would the medical insurance offered by an E1-11 cover the same service?
<font color='#8D38C9'>don't think so

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>i seem to think your own doctor  g/p has to fund it  or apply for funding to pay for it

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

i know on my holiday insurance i made sure i was covered for any recompression costs should any diving problems arise when diving in crete  

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>It's covered by the NHS in the UK at present, but at the Whipps Cross centre they said it may be reconsidered in the future ....... which worries me as (anecdotal) evidence suggests some divers already ignore symptoms, if there was a cost, there may be more of this?

If I was diving overseas on holiday I would make sure I had insurance cover even if I did have an E1-11.  Belt AND braces, or in DIR speak - if you need one, take 2.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aclivity @ April 18 2004,14:24)]It's covered by the NHS in the UK at present, but at the Whipps Cross centre they said it may be reconsidered in the future ....... which worries me as (anecdotal) evidence suggests some divers already ignore symptoms, if there was a cost, there may be more of this?
<font color='#000080'>I think that is very true - if we had to pay to be potted, the number of divers reporting in to get treatment would drop dramatically (and im sure that would make it appear to be a much safer sport, great for publicity and commercial/professional teaching organisations.....).  

The cost of recompression must be pretty high, but surely the treatment of someone who has ignored symtoms and then requires later treatment would be more costly?

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

It's paid for by your local health authority in the UK. It's so small places like Millport don't get hammered with huge bills. The actual pots are privately/business owned. The only thing they have to do with the NHS is when the bill gets sent. IIRC, it's £3000 per hour to run the pot + chopper lift(£7000 per hour IIRC) + hospital care post-treatment. So for a standard RN table 5 you're looking at the shiny side of £20, 000 without a chopper even getting involved. All I can say is the NHS is a wonderful institution and long may it last!

Peter

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Wah!  Thats a lot of cash.  We have very close links with the local helicopter (the one that will pick you up if you get bent on the Farnes).  Our Helivac courses are....well.....practical.  Our ex training officer, her hubby is the pilot up there.  

Once we were doing diver training just out of Amble, muggins was Cox.  Radio crackles
"Rib Emily this is Seaking what is your position, over"
"Seaking Emily we are about a mile north of coquet island, why? Over"
"Emily Seaking we will see you in about 5 minutes, out"

And my god, did they see us.....bastards.  I have had many things happen in my diving career, but being shot at by a bloody helicopter is one of the strangest.  They shot a smoke flare UPWIND of us so we got full force of the orange smoke.........

One of our guys got a free ride in it on our last course, as they wanted to practice lifting from a big rib.  He nearly deafened the crew as when they were putting him back he shouted "YAHOOOOO" as he went out the door and the winchmans radio mike picked it up.  

1 - 8 of 8 Posts