YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently gave someone a red blob for what I perceived as a tastless thoughtless reply to someone who was genuinley distressed. I gave the persons the reason why I was doing this in a polite manner and also stated on the thread my views.
The person then pm'd thanking me, which soon became obvious this was not really meant but hey ho. Also attached was a lengthy addendum to what he 'really meant to say' but due to his time restraints he hadnt posted all on his reply. I again politely replied saying if only he had taken the time to fully reply to the thread he may not have got a red. I think thats it, conversation on this topic finished but no, today, a week later I receive 2 pm's.
You know who you are, so please take your thought disordered rantings and tell them to someone who gives a shit and by the way if you find my spelling mistakes and poor grammar a problem please feel free to use the ignore feature that Jay has kindly put on this forum.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
I recently gave someone a red blob for what I perceived as a tastless thoughtless reply to someone who was generously distressed. I gave the persons the reason why I was doing this in a polite manner and also stated on the thread my views.
The person then pm'd thanking me, which soon became obvious this was not really meant but hey ho. Also attached was a lengthy addendum to what he 'really meant to say' but due to his time restraints he hadnt posted all on his reply. I again politely replied saying if only he had taken the time to fully reply to the thread he may not have got a red. I think thats it, conversation on this topic finished but no, today, a week later I receive 2 pm's.
You know who you are, so please take your thought disordered rantings and tell them to someone who gives a shit and by the way if you find my spelling mistakes and poor grammar a problem please feel free to use the ignore feature that Jay has kindly put on this forum.

Bullying.
This raises its ugly head from time to time on YD: http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/polls/51557-bullying-ptii.html

Name and shame is what I always say. Don't give them the satisfaction of remaining anonymous.

Cue those who will now say that a PM is a personal message and therefore it is intended as such and should not be divulged on the public forum. Normally I'd agree - but bullying - however it is done and in whatever format is unacceptable.

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
it was your punctuation i PM'd you for not the spelling yazz :)

come on!!!

Graham

PS i agree with wilbo 100% on this

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Tell the teacher, not the class!! :)

Bullying.
This raises its ugly head from time to time on YD: http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/polls/51557-bullying-ptii.html

Name and shame is what I always say. Don't give them the satisfaction of remaining anonymous.

Cue those who will now say that a PM is a personal message and therefore it is intended as such and should not be divulged on the public forum. Normally I'd agree - but bullying - however it is done and in whatever format is unacceptable.
A PM is a personal message. However, if a PM is threatening, unpleaseant, meant to provoke a reaction, then it is still bullying. Personal bullying, rather than public bullying.
I don't agree that naming and shaming, thoug, is the right way to deal with it. Then it becomes a public linching, which makes those of us daft enough to get involved, as bad as the perpetrator.
PM a mod, ask if it is ok to forward them, and ask them to deal with it.

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
Hang them! hang them high :)

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
A PM is a personal message. However, if a PM is threatening, unpleaseant, meant to provoke a reaction, then it is still bullying. Personal bullying, rather than public bullying.
I don't agree that naming and shaming, thoug, is the right way to deal with it. Then it becomes a public linching, which makes those of us daft enough to get involved, as bad as the perpetrator.
PM a mod, ask if it is ok to forward them, and ask them to deal with it.ask them to deal with it.
why invlove a mod have they not got enough to do.... name and shame if they are silly enough to pm you then its fair game in my book unless they are in the right. Remember there are two sides to this not knowing bothside its much harder to judge.

Very little makes me angry but hiding and pming is just plain nasty, I will and do say what I think to your face not behind your back. call me what you like but have the balls to do it in the open :)

then we can laugh or cry whatever suits.

David

Reactions: angleseydiver

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
AI don't agree that naming and shaming, thoug, is the right way to deal with it. Then it becomes a public linching, which makes those of us daft enough to get involved, as bad as the perpetrator.

[popcorn]

munch munch

Boooooooooooooo!

Get on with the show! Anyone know what time it starts?

[/popcorn]

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Garf
No show so put your popcorn away.

To others who have commented
I am not going to name the person as there is not a need.
When people red blob me I accept it as it normally means I have pissed someone off and hey I am sure it wont hurt me. But this person obviously is upset about receiving one.

I hope the person takes on board my suggestion and uses the ignore feature.

Right lets get on to other things.
Come on people donate an item for the RNLI auction...........regardless what some of you think of my open manner dont let that stop you help to raise some money for a great cause.

·
13.05.2012 QPRmageddon Day
1,948 Posts
Yas
keep reciting ad infinitum" he is a nited fan , he is a nited fan":teeth:
Or pm me and I ll buddy him on his last...I mean next dive:)
Will this be classed as evidence in a court of law BTW?

Seriously, I can t work out why somebody could be offended by someone else s opinion, as long as it doesn t become personal.
As has been said before , numerous times , it s the f*kin internet and you ll meet , what?, 10 maybe 15 % of the posters on here in your diving lifetime, and in my experience , I ve yet to meet an arsehole.*

*Except for Digger, Bantam, Kath2407, Sparky750, Yazzyfooty, LisaR,NickS,Pieater(I m really not joking about this one:) )all on the St Abbs and the Hard hat diving gigs etc. etc.

Pinch of salt safely in pocket of finest coat and I ll see you all soon

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
Yas
keep reciting ad infinitum" he is a nited fan , he is a nited fan":teeth:
Or pm me and I ll buddy him on his last...I mean next dive:)
Will this be classed as evidence in a court of law BTW?

Seriously, I can t work out why somebody could be offended by someone else s opinion, as long as it doesn t become personal.
As has been said before , numerous times , it s the f*kin internet and you ll meet , what?, 10 maybe 15 % of the posters on here in your diving lifetime, and in my experience , I ve yet to meet an arsehole.*

*Except for Digger, Bantam, Kath2407, Sparky750, Yazzyfooty, LisaR,NickS,Pieater(I m really not joking about this one:) )all on the St Abbs and the Hard hat diving gigs etc. etc.

Pinch of salt safely in pocket of finest coat and I ll see you all soon
phew, I thought I was going to be on the list for a moment. :)

Yazz is right, ignore them and keep the high ground. although by replying to this i may be feeding their ego. hmmmmm

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Yazz, remember your on't Yorkshire divers , n't all't worlds a little queer cept thee an me , and thee's a little strange at times .:)

·
Registered
578 Posts
this is me that yazzy footy is talking about, i dont think she noticed the wink smileys at the top of the pm,
she was complaining about a post i made which i admit contained a lot of waffle and i did edit, i have just driven from armagh to telford via stranraer so at the moment i am quite keen to go to sleep.

yazz if you would like to publish my pms then feel free, i dont think i have been bullying anyone and apologise if i gave that impression but the smileys sort of gave the game away.

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
For what its worth, I think PMs should stay PMs unless there is enough offensive content to get a mod involved.

If you want to stop talking to someone then just stop replying. Posting about PMs in the public domain is like waiting until the end of a phone conversation and then shouting your last comment for all around to hear and then hanging up, without the context of the rest of the conversation it could mean anything.

I've had quite a few stroppy PMs over the years and to be honest I don't really care, as someone already said...tis t'internet!

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
If there's not gonna be some really nastiness and / or a good buggering - then I'm going to have to do some work FFS. Come sort yerselves out ;)

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
If there's not gonna be some really nastiness and / or a good buggering - then I'm going to have to do some work FFS. Come sort yerselves out ;)
You twat!!

;)

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Is this not being blown out of context a bit? Be fair to Yaz - she didn't want to name the person or go into specific detail of the PMs, and effectively closed her 'rant' at post number 10. Her initial beef seemed to be about people not being able to accept red blobs and let it go. The other party has identified themselves and has stated that their intention wasn't as perceived. Seems sorted to me.

I agree that PMs are just that - private messages - but if I found somone truly offensive then yes I would involve a mod. Up to now, the few PMs I have found odd or distasteful I have been able to deal with myself.

To quote Yaz in her earlier post:

Right lets get on to other things.
:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.