YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

just come back from 3 days diving and I have a sore red line round my necy from my latex suit seal. Anyone got any suggestions on how to avoid this in future? I t looks like I have been garroted and it's really sore.

jules

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

KY Jelly...

Honest.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

Sudacream works very well too (available from any chemist - it is oil based so eventually perishes your neck seal, meaning you have a good excuse to change to a neoprene one

Paul

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Julie the biggest cause of noose neck is the build up of salt, try rinsing the latex neck seal with fresh water between dives and I'll guarantee it'll stop happening...

BTW as you developed this during your fantastic trip to Mull while i was stuck at home doing family stuff I'll try to still feel sorry for you..... but it's hard...  

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Everyone who is in a dry suit for a few days suffers from this.
As Daz mentions Lubricating Jelly (KY) or Boot's own brand which is cheaper, applied around the neck seal helps.

Dave says the salt does it I guess some sort of moisturiser cream after the dive will help

·
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

now I come to think of it I have got a lot slacker about rinsing my suit of late so maybe that's the cause, and yes it did happen this weekend in Mull. Will try all of the above and see if it stops happening.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I get it too on multiday dive trips unless I use KY jelly – I'm fine on a one-day trip. Apply liberally before every dive, starting before the first dive. Never mind the funny looks and remarks. I don't know whether it's abrasion from dried salt or something else that causes it but whatever the cause, KY jelly DOES work.

·
I went DIR... but my bungies pulled me back!
400 Posts
Imported post

Could be an allergic reaction to the latex.  Lots of people are allergic to it.  Also you can easly become allergic to it by repeated exposure.  One you are allergic there is not much else you can do about it.

Try E45 cream to sooth the skin, if that dosent work try the HC45 from the pharmacist (same but has a bit of hydrocautizone in it).  If they dont work then its a good sign that it is something more than just a bit of irritation from the seal/salt etc.

Hope that helps.

Darren

·
Registered
488 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>

I have suffered a lot with this and it actually gets worse if I use KY or anything similar.  I actually lose the skin resulting in something that resembles a graze.  

Through trial and error I've worked out that it must be a combination of the salt and wet and I need to be very careful on multi day dives - I have had this in freshwater too but not as bad so I suspect perspiration may contribute a bit.  

I have found that I need to rinse the seal in between dives and make sure it is absolutely dry before the next dive, powdering if possible, and dry the neck.  

I never have a problem with the wrists and I have used KY there without any problem so it doesn't appear to be an allergy just very sensitive skin.  Nicking a bit of the wife's nivea cream after diving usually helps as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

While it is true that latex allergy is fairly common, I don't believe that's the cause of this problem. Like Kim, I don't have any problem with my latex wrist seals. Nor do I have any problem when I use latex gloves for dirty jobs. I believe the problem is simply mechanical, i.e. abrasion. I'm surprised to hear KY jelly doesn't work for you, though, Kim.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I must admit I haven't persevered with the KY. After using it on two separate occasions and getting worse soreness I went back to the powder solution.  Now, having thought about it again it could be a consequence of not cleaning thoroughly in between dives.  Maybe just making sure to remove any residue will do the trick - could be that I'm just a Southern Softy though.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Has anyone tried vaseline instead? I have the impression it would be a better sealer from latex to the neck than KY, could be wrong but curious to know.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Chris Guimaraens @ Sep. 10 2003,19:40)]Has anyone tried vaseline instead? I have the impression it would be a better sealer from latex to the neck than KY, could be wrong but curious to know.
Vaseline will rot the neck seal.

Water based lubricants are the ones to look at.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

Just as a matter of interest, the people who have not got on with KY or anything else, had you only started applying it once you had a problem? As KY has no moisturing or healing properties it may well make things worse. I know it rots the seal, but Sudacream really does do a good preventive and soothing job.

As to the rotting. I was using Sudacream for a year with my latex neck seal and it was going a bit, but I don't think it was much worse than other neck seals with the same amount of use. I eventaully went neoprene, the latex was still going strong though!

Paul

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Beal @ Sep. 11 2003,10:40)]Just as a matter of interest, the people who have not got on with KY or anything else, had you only started applying it once you had a problem?
Good question! I repeat, apply liberally before each dive, STARTING BEFORE THE FIRST DIVE.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

I have tried the KY route but have found it really uncomfortable as it dries into a sticky mess by the end of each dive.  Drying and powdering has helped though.  In Plymouth recently, using this method I only had the faintest of marks as opposed to the normal "graze".

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I too found KY proved more of a problem than a solution - that sticky mess and sore feeling after put me right off.

If anything I found as the KY was absorbed/evaporated whatever the irritation from the seal became worse as it grabbed at my neck.

Worse when coxing a RIB due to looking around all the time.

And yes, my suit is washed after EVERY dive.

Good talc application (Grandad power) seems to help.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF7F00'>Come on Julia, if i go into the chemist and buy 24 tubes of KY a month & the young girl thnks i'm a queer, then so should you

Andy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Julia

Think we all have the same problem  One of the guys wears a sweatband under his neck seal when he's sitting on the boat between dives - he looks like a vicar but it seems to work for him.

Pat

·
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Imported post

Pulled this thread back out so that Sussexdiver can see all the advice given to me recently when I had the same problem as he has now....
jules:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts