YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I've only dived abroad once in my life which was on a very enjoyable liveaboard in Thailand, doing the Similans and co.  I would dearly love to go on another hol, but have been prevented this year because of a mixture of friend-let-down and now, financial constraints.

Anyway I have sworn that I will go next year & figured that the Red Sea, perhaps in June, would be a great place and time to go (quite fancy one of the flash looking liveaboards like the Orchid too).  

Can't decide on the "north" or "South" route but I would luuuurve to see some wrecks and I'd lke to see the Thistlegorm before it disintegrates, so with that in mind, perhaps the North would be better?  Of course I also wanna see big fishies and things and I hear they're better down South?

Anyway, whichever it is I don't care that much as long as I get there and do as much diving as poss. for a week or ten days and would rather like to do so with a few of you lot if poss.

Anyone up for a YD trip to the afore-said?  I'm happy to book something whenever if it means getting a definite date in my calendar!

Mat

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Ralphy,

To be honest, some of us, (me, Davey, Jay, 2Tanx) have been mulling over a gig like for a while now. And I have to say that a YD Troop Gig to the Red Sea has GOT to be a go-er!

I know Fiona and I would be up for it. Being 2004 allows folks to save up for the jaunt as well. The June/Summertime prices are very reasonable too.

Whilst the choices of a liveaboard or a land-based gig are both attractive, I think that as some would be bringing both non-diving partners and their family, a liveaboard (unless booked as parallel gig) would have to be out; this way, we allow all attendees the opportunity to enjoy both the diving (on day-boats) and any other activities (a la 4x4-ing the desert, bedouin camel trains etc.) as the mood suits.

Any of you lot up for this? Fun in the sun and top diving to boot? 30 metre viz? Hammerheads, the Thistlegorm, the Carnatic, Yolander and Shark Reef?

Come on people, it's gotta be worth a collective YD punt?? The more there are of us, the cheaper the individual price. Regal would cut us a group discount no sweat.

Let's hear ya YD !!!!

·
T.L.S. More dives than posts
688 Posts
Imported post

Just adding my tuppence,
Whilst I see where your'e going with the shore based thing, I have been to the Red Sea four times and on two of these have taken my non diving wife who enjoys nothing better than chilling out with a good book in the sun with the occasional snorkel thrown in.No newspapers,Mobile Phones,lucky lucky men, just peace and quiet but with good banter between dives
The problem with day boats is that by the time you get to the Thistlegorm, so have twenty or so other day boats (this is no exageration),Whilst a liveaboard will put you on her for a night dive the night before and you are in situ early the next morning to get a quiet dive before the crowds arrive.
Don't forget to add the Rosie Muller if you are going Northern itinerary.
For big fish the Brothers are the dogs b*****ks on one dive alone we had grey reef,silky,whitetip,thresher and Hammerhead in our sights.plus there are two awsome wrecks aswell.
IMO land based just can't match this.
The Orchid is a v.good boat (I did a wreck week aboard her)
Kev W

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

I must say, both sound tempting although if I were only going for a week I'd prefer the liveaboard option as I've heard the bad stories of the Thistlegorm queues when you don't get there first thing.  

Whatever anyone decides, just getting there will be a boon for me as at the moment I can't get a single soul from my neck of the woods to commit!  

Please keep this dream alive!!!!!!

see y'all soon (hopefully)
Mat

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Couldn't possibly do a liveaboard with wife and child in tow especially as they can both get seasick on a boating lake..

But!! we'd be up for a weeks holiday with me buggering off on boats whilst Di bakes her bum and Brad leaps around in the pool all day..

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>What about doing a mixture?

A week of day diving for those that need to be in port every night and a mini-safari -  3 days of wrecking around  -for those who wanna get a bit further away?

That way everyone would get 2-3 days to dive together and the non-kid owners get to go to the Gorm before the world, his wife and his mistress arrive.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Great thought Gav... can we do that?? my missus shouldn't have too much of a problem if I go AWOL for a night or maybe two

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gavin Yates @ Mar. 16 2003,18:43)]That way everyone would get 2-3 days to dive together and the non-kid owners get to go to the Gorm before the world, his wife and his mistress arrive.
Mistresses?

Gav, please tell us you're not advocating asking any French people to join us?  

Seriously, a 'mix-n-match' land-based and mini-safari itinerary is a top idea and we're up for it large styleeeee.

Now this is one Troop Gig I am well looking forward to!

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Definatly up for Livaboard trip. Shore bassed is OK but not my thing as this is to me, a diving holiday and Livaboards offer the best diving any where.

So if you are going Livaboard I am in and that's definate. NOW about timing. Egypt is damed hot in the summer and livaboards and land bassed can be a mite uncomfortable in 35 dec C so might I sugest March April as a good time?

If your into big plagiacs July is top month aparentlyt but its hot again so bewere.

Mark Chase
Off to Sharm Sunday
will let you know how it went.

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Ignoring the obvious skirmish about to kick off to the East, I reckon NOW is about the best time to go - prices are plummeting, the pound is pretty strong, the bomb's aren't dropping yet and facilities should be 100%, which may not be the case in six month's time if people have stopped travelling because of the-country-who-must-not-be-named.

I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo up for a Sharm trip - count me in (subject to Mrs who wants me to go skiing.  Thinking of getting the UN to intervene, since they won't have a lot to do now  
)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Well, I think that the mix-n match idea is perfect.  Personally I am set on doing a liveaboard for at least part of the time but would also love to meet those 'avec famille' who would prefer the shore-based option.

In accordance with what Bren & Co have said, it seems logical that everyone checks into a hotel, then those with, for example, familes or non-diving partners (or whoever doesn't want to spend ages on a boat) stay ashore while the others jump aboard a liveaboard within a day or so.  

After the duration of the liveboard, the boat returns to shore for the last one/two/three days and we all get a chance to meet (well having said that you probably have all met already!!) and dive or drink & party at will.

Another thing to decide would be the duration of the holiday and I would guess, given the fairly regimented 7 day schedule of the many of the liveaboard vessels, that ten days would be best?  

I e-mailed Regal with a broad idea of what we are looking for and they will come back with a few ideas.  However since I am a Red Sea virgin, I reckon that one of you experienced Red Sea Dogs might have to put in some much-needed local knowledge and expertise (hint hint Bren).  Also, I'm still up for June as I've heard the weather, though hot, is a little more "reliable", but again you experienced people need to help me with that one.

Please keep firing in all your thoughts everyone & as I am detemined to get there next summer with or without y'all (but I'd rather it was with)

Bring it on!!

take care
Mat

PS - Mark, a full match report is expected from Sunday so have agreat trip mate!

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I know that out of Sharm you can do a three day mini-safari for about $200 US - dunno about Hurghuda ...

That includes everything, accom(obviously), food, air etc.

Nitrox would be extra.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

If we're getting a goodly amount of traction for this gig, I have no problem with organising it.

Can I please have another show of hands for this trip?

·
That's Members Representative to you!
2,416 Posts
Imported post

I've just finished Ocean Diver, and will be doing Sports Diver this year too. Unfortunately not in time for the Club trip to the red sea in October. It's my birthday in June too, so it'd make a good birthday present to myself!! (I'm flexible on the actual dates though!)

Count me in.

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mdemon @ Mar. 18 2003,10:23)]count me in (subject to Mrs who wants me to go skiing).
Hey MM you go to the red sea, I'll take your misses ski-ing, haven't been skiing for a few years, scuba got in the way.

Been to the Red Sea twice both times livaboards, one from Sharm one from Hurgada, would go again but only livaboard, and only if YOU or US decide the itenary and NOT THE SKIPPER OR GUIDE!  they will ALLWAYS decide whats best for them, fuel etc.
Ralph mate whatever you do you are paying the dosh you decide, do not compromise, we did that twice and regretted it.

Having said that the first trip from sharm we did probally 50% of what we wanted but still had a great time, a dive trip is not just about diving, its having a good time with mates & partners etc.
2nd trip from Hurgada, the diving was much better, however the guide did not want to go south to the Salem Express (an awsome dive) before going on the normal wreck trip north, even though this had been agreed in the UK before booking the trip, caused a bit of a row between the guide and I on the first evening.
However I would reccomend the MV Valerie, individual air con twin cabins and.........wait for it........................... a beer fridge in each room.........heaven..............sod the diving I could have stayed on deck with my cold beers and had a good time.

I'm up for a livaboard next year, preferable early so that it doesn't interfere with familay holiday/ diving trip to Scillies.

In 2001 we went in Feb and the weather was v.good, whilst being crap at home, even in the southern suncream sector.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

Good advice Dude, cheers mate.
Well, we'll see how this all pans out out in the planning stage over the next few months and try to make some sort of decision nearer the time.  

I'd definitely appreciate your opinion as more "definite" things start to take shape!  In the mean time, we'll see what Mssrs Tierney, t'others and Regal Dive come up with...

thanks guys, its encouraging to see a decent response from a fair few people!  Keep the enthusiasm up as long as poss. and this might just happen!!

take care all
Mat

·
Registered
7 Posts
Imported post

I would definately be interested in this trip, and being 2004 my work commitments which are currently preventing me joining up with some other YD trips should be sorted! Would favour a livaboard although I'm more than happy to go along with the majority.

Count me in  

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Hi Dude,

Hmmm...I think you'd find the diving cheaper than taking my Mrs skiing - but if you've got the dosh...!

I know what you mean about the operator doing what's best for them.  I felt we were being "sold" too hard, so we had a ship's revolt and binned the Dunsinkin in favour of the Thistlegorm only - good choice I felt.  Also felt we got "lead" quite a lot, but on this and the dive, the operator bowed graciously to public pressure.

·
Part of the 'Phoenix Programme'
1,112 Posts
Imported post

I know the Thistlegorm is awesome, but have you considered the DEEP south, toward the Sudanese border? The north tends to be crowded (although I still love it and take my busman's holidays there) but the south is less crowded and a liveaboard can take you to the Brothers, Elphinstone, Panorama Reef...pardon me while I drool....

moray

1 - 19 of 19 Posts