1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

The quote below is from this web page:
http://www.diveglobal.com/explore....002.asp

It suggests some Red Sea liveaboard operators advertise the Brothers as part of the itinerary when they know full well they won't be going there due to lacking the correct licence, and lie to you at the time blaming the weather or what have you.

I seem to recall John G. saying he's tried three times to visit the Brothers, without success - I wonder if this is why?

I'm on a liveaboard next week which is due to go there. Unfortunately the link on the site to the list of licenced boats is knackered, so I'm off to trawl the web. Anyone been on MV Blue Pearl? Anyone been, or not been, to the Brothers on her??

Anyone else heard anything about this sort of thing??
Disturbing stuff  

Dave.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
It is very important to choose a reliable operator as a lot of travel agents promise to go to the Brothers but only a few boats have the license and the equipment to make a save trip to these remote islands. There have been occasions were operators tell you the weather is not good enough call off the trip when the true reason - of not having the right permits - is kept quiet. Just a few boats have a license to reach the Brothers (and the other Marine Park Islands). These license are given by the Egyptian Government and an organization called HEPCA.

The Marine Park Islands, including the Brothers, ( the others are: Daedalus Reef, Rocky Island and Zabargad) can be reached by a few boats only.

The boats who may visit these islands legally can be seen by clicking here!

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Dave

I went to the Brothers a few years back, we booked through T Backhurst, boat had twin screws make sure any boat has because we broke a mooring line and hit the reef trashing one prop.

Blue Pearl is a new boat booked through DivingWorld, we are going on it in April.  I can't see any reason why this boat wouldn't get out to them, its all about weather really some skippers probably will just not risk it.

Have a good trip and let us know what Blue Pearl is like.

FB

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Thanks for that Fiona,

Actually I won't be able to tell you what Blue Pearl is like cos I've played the brinksmanship "waiting for the price to drop" game a tad too long and it's full - Doh!  

Luckily I had a backup option, so will be doing the same Northern Wrecks and Brothers itinerary on Kawarty II instead.  
And a saving a whole English tenner into the bargain  
 Kawarty isn't as swish as BP as far as I can see, and is smaller (14 not 20 peeps) but hopefully it'll be fine. It is twin screw.

It's a whole week before I go and I'm already so excited I can't get any work done  

Hope you have a  great trip,
Dave.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Hi Dave, thanks for your message. My earlier failed attempts to get to the Brothers were due to engine problems once (only one of two engines working) and rough seas once. In those days, about 10 years ago, I don't think you needed a licence to go to the Brothers. My latest attempt, last June, failed because we were switched at the last minute to another boat and another itinerary without being told until we landed at Marsa Alam. This was a side effect of George's and Tony's war - tourists stopped going to Egypt and we 4 were the only ones booked on the boat (Tiger Lily).
The Blue Pearl looks really good. If Fiona's and others' reports are favourable, I'll be booking it or the Hurricane (another new boat, on which the renowned Sonia and Craig, from the Excel, are now evidently working) for another attempt to get to the Brothers in June 2005.

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
Imported post

I was at the Brothers twice over Christmas, (on Suzanna 1) and saw the Blue Pearl there both times....we were starting to feel stalked!

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Feb. 27 2004,15:34)]If Fiona's and others' reports are favourable, I'll be booking it or the Hurricane (another new boat, on which the renowned Sonia and Craig, from the Excel, are now evidently working) for another attempt to get to the Brothers in June 2005.
<font color='#0000FF'>John

I am also booked on Hurricane in september so will let you know about that one as well.  

FB

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

You jammy b*****, Fiona!  

I look forward to your reports.

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Not heard about that before, lucky for me.

Done the Brothers last June on the Valarie, there were a few other boats there too, including Excell, it's hard to miss.

Better luck this time.

James

1 - 8 of 8 Posts