YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off to the Red Sea in Sept 07 and need a couple of good fish and coral i.d. books. Trawling through Amazon I see there are loads of titles – has anyone got any recommendations?

·
Open Wide
2,417 Posts
Red Sea Reef Guide by Debelius was suggested to me. I've got it and can confirm that it contains lots of pictures of fish! It seems to do the job very well.

Other book I got which seems excellent is the Sinai Diving Guide, DiveNow web shop

Off on Sunday to try them both out :)

·
Open Wide
2,417 Posts
Ok then fish fanciers, what's the easy way to tell an angel fish from a butterfly fish? They look pretty similar to me although more blue maybe in the angel type ones? The fish I am used to are usually on a plate!

·
Registered
488 Posts
I would have said the Debelius book, had mine for donkey's years but found this a couple of years ago and much prefer it.

Coral Reef Guide Red Sea by Robert Myers (Author), Ewald Lieske (Author, Illustrator)

On Amazon for £13.99 at the moment, about £20 in Sharm last time I looked. Although listed as paperback it's a sort of soft hardback if that makes sense and has a protective plastic cover.

The Sinai guide will give you everything you need about the area and dive sites.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I would have said the Debelius book, had mine for donkey's years but found this a couple of years ago and much prefer it.

Coral Reef Guide Red Sea by Robert Myers (Author), Ewald Lieske (Author, Illustrator)

On Amazon for £13.99 at the moment, about £20 in Sharm last time I looked. Although listed as paperback it's a sort of soft hardback if that makes sense and has a protective plastic cover.

The Sinai guide will give you everything you need about the area and dive sites.

I have both and prefer the Myers book. The pictures are generally better and the index is much easier to use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.