YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
King of Hurghada
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m fiddling around with my website and would like to get some constructive criticism form you proper divers.

The idea is to put more of my maps over dive sites in the red sea there. I have started a little bit and you can have a look what it’s like if you go to http://www.aziab.com then click on “Safaga” in the left hand margin, scroll down to "Diving Around Safaga" where you find a overview of the Safaga area and a link directing your browser to "Safaga Dive Site Maps".

Now I’d like to know what you think about:

1. Navigation. Is this a good way to find the maps?
2. Size. I don’t want to have too large- or high-res images, since I’ve already got enough people copying my stuff.
3. Can you see the map clear enough after I put the "www,aziab,com" marking on them?
4. Other opinions?

Feel free to come up with ideas how to improve the site and/or if there are information missing that you think should be there. I’m not a web designer and this is my first ever attempt to build a website so you have to use really simple language with me ;o)

.......anders.......
http://www.aziab.com

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
home page (landing page) not very intresting at all , the pictures simply dont inspire me to read on especialy with a top picture of 5

ferries moored up

! as for the image size seems to be ok being between 10 kb and 50 kb cant see there being a problem with such a

size loading even when the visitor has a slow connection .

the safaga dive site maps link is ok but when you link to the next page i find it hard to see the dive sites themsleves.

and the little dive brief pics are fine if you take away the aziab name thats all over them !

over all mate i think youve done a good job, what kind of hosting do you have i.e is there any limmitations on storage and bandwidth ?

also if you want to protect your photo content see if you can dissable hotlinking to your photos as that will not only drain your bandwidth if people externaly link it will

give anyone the choice to use your work!

you could also use a cross broswer dhtm script that will disable the left click menu via the html to stop people viewing the source and copying your pictures

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hi

1. Navigation. Is this a good way to find the maps? - Yes it's fine no need for anything fancier
2. Size. I don’t want to have too large- or high-res images, since I’ve already got enough people copying my stuff. Again detail is good enough
3. Can you see the map clear enough after I put the "www,aziab,com" marking on them? Yes, but it's a little annoying, would agree with DB and stop people right clicking on the image rather tham splashing the logo all over them.
4. Other opinions? Some "real" pictures of reefs/inhabitants would be a nice improvement for the future

·
Ultimate Planner
1,316 Posts
Very good info Samaka.

What I feel is that it's a bit stuffed with info. The left-hand margin is taking some good place. Have you thought of using a menu instead?

Same for the "operators" and "places to buy products from" sections. I think the operators per location should be in a separate page and only a link to this separate page should be placed in the location's main page.

Regarding the pics, especially the maps, I think it'll be better if you can increase their display dimensions. It'll be easier if you remove the permanent left and right panes.

Keep the good work mate.

·
Making God laugh...
3,112 Posts
I think calling it a "Red Sea Info Website" is a tad cheeky, considering there is nothing there about Elat, Taba, Nuweiba, Dahab or Sharm el Shiekh - these areas must account for at least 60% of day boat diving and shore diving in the Red Sea, if not more - so its only a "Half The Red Sea Info Website"

·
Ultimate Planner
1,316 Posts
I think calling it a "Red Sea Info Website" is a tad cheeky, considering there is nothing there about Elat, Taba, Nuweiba, Dahab or Sharm el Shiekh - these areas must account for at least 60% of day boat diving and shore diving in the Red Sea, if not more - so its only a "Half The Red Sea Info Website"
If he's gonna consider Eilat then he should also consider Aqaba, the Saudi Red Sea, the Sudanese Red Sea, etc...

Since Sinai is missing, I think a better name would be the Egyptian Red Sea - Mainland.

·
King of Hurghada
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some very valid points there... I've been trying to find some one who could make the Sinai part for me but I haven't succeded. Has to be someone who can keep it independent as well...

I have done some changes and I hope it's better now. I'll also try to come up with a better/more adequate slogan, not to be a "tad Cheeky" or weare a "too big hat". "Egyptian Red Sea - Mainland" is good. Thanks Asser.

...a...

·
team wibble
400 Posts
i must say that i have found your website very helpfull in the past, i cannot remember how i came about it, but its very usefull to have a balanced view of places rather than having someone trying to sell you something, very well done indeed.
I'm off on blue fin on 18th june for best of wrecks and found your medical bit very helpfull had some friends go over and get me some of that antinal ? "spell" as last time i suffered big time lol.
would be interested in getting one of your wreck briefing cd's and a guide book at some point before i go.

cheers john

·
King of Hurghada
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey John.

Thanks for the niec words about the website! The book you can actually get from the blueOtwo office in UK if you want it before you go. The CD with the wreck briefings I have only made "on demand" here in Egypt but I can have one ready for you when you arrive... this one of - will be FOC - a present...

...a...

·
team wibble
400 Posts
that would be great Anders thank you very much, I believe that blue fin is sailing out of port galib on the 18th and returning to hurghada on the 25th of june, so if there is a way to get it to me that would be wonderful.
I have phone the uk office and asked about aziab guige books but they did not seem to know what i was talking about :-( or are they under a different name ?

cheers john

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.