YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just come back from my first Red Sea trip, and was amazed at a couple of things I saw.
Whilst out on the I saw a instructor ask 2 certified divers if they wanted to take the nitrox course, as this is safer when doing multiple dives (all good so far)
He sat down gave a 5 minute brief overview as to what nitrox is, and the different blends available. Showed them how to analyse the gas and took them diving on nitrox32 for that dive.
The next day a quick briefing was given on the possible hazards of nitrox.
(Both briefings lated no more than 5-10 mins
They were taken diving on 32% on Jackson Reef and taken down to 32m.
I know this as I was in the same group, neither of the 2 had computers or depth gauges (all their kit was hired)
One of these guys was not great on air either so I got him to at least go shallower to avoid more complications
After this dive they were told to pop into the school tomorrow and he will sign off their course, if they wanted the manual tables etc. this would be an extra €60 on top of the €140 so far
I asked why the rental regs had no depth gauges the answer was "they cost money"

My concerns are:
1. How on earth was that a nitrox course with 2 ten min briefings and no manual DVD etc and no tables given?
2. Why (if no depth gauges are on the rental equipment) are computers not a compulsory rental item?
3. Why after telling the divers that at certain depths nitrox can cause convulsions etc were they taken down to 32m?
4. Should I have raised my concerns with the school/instructor/divers? (I know the answer to this question really, and regret not saying anything)
5. Is this sort of thing commonplace in the Red Sea?
I have not named the centre (so far) on purpose
Any thoughts??

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am nitrox certified and should have explained what I meant about the 32m part
After telling the students about the convlusions at depth, is it wise to take them that deep, without them having much of an idea how deep they are. Surely all this does is add to their stress loading.
The dive school was Only-Six dive centre based in the Ritz Carlton

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK let's put the otherside...
1. But nitrox really is that simple.
2. If you have the MOD chalked on the tank and you dive a site where the seabed is no deeper it's safer than air.
3.If you aren't using it to extend your bottom times it's lots safer than air.
4. If you want them you pay for them.
5. I bet the guide is kicking himself that he missed a sale there.
I admit that I wouldn't enter the water without something to say how deep I am but these people had already agreed to it.
6. Nitrox doesn't make it more stupid.42m I can see a problem with but 32m is a safe depth. 1.34bar ppO2 isn't much.And look a fool?I hope so. Nitrox needs demystifying and using not treating like the black art from hell.

HTH
1. Ok simple but 15-20 mins on a rolling boat is the perfect place to teach it?
2. We were on Jackson reef which has rather steep drop offs
3. Agreed
4. would you attend any type of course/lecture and expect to pay for the course content notes after forking out for the course already?
5. Agreed they should have been more alert to fact they had no gauges but if a school wants to hire kit out they should have depth gauges. Would you hire a car with no speedo?
6. Agreed I should have put more emphasis on the stress loading part of this.
7. it does need demystifying, so surely if you are explaning the priciples
of this, the a liitle more attention should be shown, as to whether this is sinking in to the students

John

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The title of you post gives the wrong impression. The Red Sea has a fairly good safety record IMO.....so I don't think the issue is with safety standards but more about training standards.

Whether the instructor you saw was operating in accordance with his agency's training standards is another thing and if you are in a position to report the breach then you should in my view.

HTH
Mal
Point taken Mal
The wrong wording on the title
I did not intend to mislead

John

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Just to confirm a couple of points
yes it was PADI instructor
I did have a brief conversation with the divers, and casually asked if they had done any paperwork/reviews yet, of which they said no.
At the end of the day as the boat was coming into port, the instructor told them to come by the shop tomorrow and fill in the pic card.
He would not be there, as he was back out on the boat , so I assume that was the end of the "course"
So after this, no matter how others feel that nitrox is incredibly simple, IMO I don't think these guys got either the right training or their moneys worth
This looks to me like a way to get divers to part with €140, to enable the school to then charge an extra €5 per nitrox fill
Again just my opinion

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.