YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Returned home from Sharm in the early hours of this morning, had a great trip seeing turtles ,dolphins huge Napoleon wrasse, lionfish, boxfish, blowfish, and thousands of other varieties that I've never seen before!
My only regret is that I didn't take my drysuit (changed my mind at the last minute due to lack of space) as it was bloody freezing changing on the boat and unpleasant donning it cold and wet for the second and third dives also quite cold in the water at 20/21 degrees for average of 50 minutes.
Oh and almost forgot the Thistlegorm was absolutely magnificent, best dive ever, but I was disappointed in the lack of other wreck's available in the area to dive, the Dunraven being the only one the local guides offered.
Still it's good to be home and looking forward to diving dry again locally!
Steve  

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Glad you enjoyed the trip M8. There are some fantastic wrecks in the Red sea but the day boats seem fixated on reefs and the obvious Dunraven (ok in my book but not  great) and obviously the mighty Thistlegorm.

There is a red sea wreck tour which I would love to do but obviously it's a livaboard. We are off in April on a southeren itinarys tour so I will let you know about the wrecks we do down there but so far the Rosale Muller is the best wreck I have done in the red sea.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Cheers Mark !
Red Sea wreck tour that sounds interesting, I wouldn't mind doing that next, do you have any details !
Steve

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (torbaydiver @ Feb. 09 2004,18:12)]My only regret is that I didn't take my drysuit (changed my mind at the last minute due to lack of space) as it was bloody freezing changing on the boat and unpleasant donning it cold and wet for the second and third dives also quite cold in the water at 20/21 degrees for average of 50 minutes.
Take note all you people thinking of going to the Red Sea in the winter (Jan-March)! Every time I say this here or on Divernet, a lot of people say I'm exaggerating and a 5 mm wetsuit is quite sufficient. It isn't!
Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Imported post

Steve,

What was the temperature like during the day out there? I'm out in 5 weeks and unfortunately if I take my drysuit (poseidon unisuit) that's all I'd be taking due to the weight of it. I'm taking a 5mm but do have a 0.5 mm Oceanic suit I normally wear under my drysuit.Looks like I might be wearing the two.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
46 Posts
Imported post

John,
Thanks for the info - I must admit if it was 23 degrees at home I'd be walking around in T Shirt and shorts. Having only ever gone out there in November is the wind chill on board the boat that bad.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (flinty96 @ Feb. 11 2004,21:03)]Steve,

What was the temperature like during the day out there? I'm out in 5 weeks and unfortunately if I take my drysuit (poseidon unisuit) that's all I'd be taking due to the weight of it. I'm taking a 5mm but do have a 0.5 mm Oceanic suit I normally wear under my drysuit.Looks like I might be wearing the two.

Cheers

Steve
Well the temperature during the day depends if it's sunny and your sheltered you will be sunbathing , if it's overcast and windy you will be wearing a fleece and woolly hat, in the evening I was wearing two fleeces and hat !
In the water I was wearing a 5 mil wetsuit with a three mil Shorty underneath and still felt chilly, wearing a hood helped.  One of the most unpleasant things was when you first get into the water and cold water trickles down the back of your neck like a slow torture.  When you come out onto the boat deck your slightly chilled to start with and you're in the shade and you have to put a fresh tank on for your second dive before changing.
You won't be alone as 95 percent of the divers are in wetsuit's, you will just be a lot more comfortable if you can take your drysuit.
If you want to do the Thistlegorm book early as it's often cancelled due to rough seas  (a must do dive).
Have fun
Steve

·
Registered
46 Posts
Imported post

Thanks for the info everybody - I've done the Dunraven & Thistlegorm (if only it was off Brighton) before so will probably give them a miss. To be honest I prefer looking at the small stuff on the shallower reefs so I'm easily pleased. On a different subject John I read that you was going to the dive show on the sunday - any plans to go Saturday as well. It would be a pleasure to meet you if you are.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Hi Steve, I'll be going to LIDS on the Sunday, meeting Matt and a couple of other YDers at the entrance at 11 am. It'd be great to say hello if you'll be there. Send me a PM in that case. Same applies to any others planning to go on the Sunday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts