YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I've just come back from Sharm and had an amazing time, one of the highlights was there was no bloody Russians due to the recent events.

Got an a deal through regal with diving and definetly go back. Dive sites were empty so we didn't have anyone annoying us on the dive or destroying our viz.

Just thought people would want to know as a number of my mates were worried.

·
Dedicated Lurker
934 Posts
Thanks for that. I'm off to Sharm on 6th March, can't wait.

Lyv

·
The Maltese Pea Cake
1,378 Posts
Ditto a wee bit later, and can't wait. Hope the Ruskies stay away!
Cheers

·
Making God laugh...
3,112 Posts
Unfortunately, Sharm now needs the Russians.

Sharm today is an excellent example of people becoming greedy (ok, we know it was Mubarak and his family/cronies that were coining it in).

The Sharm of 10 years ago was a perfect size and could easily have handled the problems it is facing today with a lack of tourists coming, because it was based mainly around diving - and the (british) divers are still coming (admittidly in smaller numbers). But now, its uncontrolled expansion has meant massive layoffs and problems for the local egypatian staff who are now not earning cos the bucket and spaders aren't here. What is surprising is that the 3 hotels being built around me are continuing to build even though there is no end in sight for the current "drought".

The good news for the locals is that a government decree has forced landlords to halve their rents for now.

Steve

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
It won't do any good for anyone if it turns into a ghost town. The Egyptian diving industry is important to all divers since it gives new divers an inexpensive entry into the world of diving. A big volume business keeps the prices down on everything from training to equipment as well as the day-to-day costs of diving.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Unfortunately, Sharm now needs the Russians.

Sharm today is an excellent example of people becoming greedy (ok, we know it was Mubarak and his family/cronies that were coining it in).

The Sharm of 10 years ago was a perfect size and could easily have handled the problems it is facing today with a lack of tourists coming, because it was based mainly around diving - and the (british) divers are still coming (admittidly in smaller numbers). But now, its uncontrolled expansion has meant massive layoffs and problems for the local egypatian staff who are now not earning cos the bucket and spaders aren't here. What is surprising is that the 3 hotels being built around me are continuing to build even though there is no end in sight for the current "drought".

The good news for the locals is that a government decree has forced landlords to halve their rents for now.

Steve
Yeah nostalgia is great and of course you don't have to engage with reality when you do it. So are you saying it was ok for Brit divers to drive the expansion of sharm to A level that suits them but not for Russian sunbathers to do the same? If you honestly want to use a time machine to stop sharm getting spoiled you want to go back and stop the Brits coming too. Do you think Egypt is a better place for the hum of diesel compressors or the rape of its wrecks by Brit spidge-hunters?
As far as the locals struggling without their tourist-based jobs, I have every sympathy, but do you honestly think they'd be any better off If the jobs they have now lost had never existed in the first place? Do you believe there is a raft of other jobs they could all have been doing. It is patronising in the extreme to tell people in a develoing nation that they are greedy for wanting tourist cash and ignore the greed with which we all pursue ever more exotic dive destinations by wielding our cheque books. Yeah tell them they should stay with one 50p a week job for the whole family because you think sending their eldest son to earn 5 pounds a week cleaning toilets in sharm is 'greedy'
It makes my blood boil when UK divers trawl the internet looking for the cheapest packaged dive holiday they can, whinging about every pound then ruck up in resort and say "where did all these fecking tourists come from" do they think you're not a tourist If you book your dive package from the UK?
Fuxake!
I'll have a bit more respect for this attitude the first time I see a hardcore Brit diver ruck up in a sharm hotel and say "I know your prices have been driven down by the competition with so many other hotels funded by the massive tourist influx, but I am not greedy enough to take advantage of the economic consequences of the tourists boom I regularly decry, please let Me pay extra" rather than "whens happy hour'
Kinell!

·
Making God laugh...
3,112 Posts
"Sigh"

My point, which seems to have sailed directly over your head was that Sharm is now to big to absorb the problem we see today, even as little as 5 years ago when we had the bombings and no-one came the town was small enough to cope for a few weeks.

The expansion wasn't driven by brit divers as you claim - it was driven by Mubarak and is familiy/friends who wanted to make big bucks out of the bucket and spaders, that is why there has been an explosion of All Inclusive hotels which try to keep the punters inside its compound and use their facilities and go on their trips etc. You're very mistaken if you think any of that cash got into the local economy.

You talk of your blood boiling when people trawl for cheap deals - where do you think the deals come from? The cheap deals you moan about are only available because of the the Russians et al coming here and keeping prices artificially low due to the sheer volume of numbers, if it were as small as it was 10 years ago prices would be much more inline with what you think they should be and there would be no "whinging brits". The number of divers coming here has actually declined over the past few years so the hum of compressors and deisel you talk of has diminished over time!

"Rape of wrecks" - again your talking poppycock, yes I know it happens but its not confined to brits, more likely other nations with less respect for twrecks than us. In fact 2 years ago a friend of mine found a cough medicine bottle on the Thistlegorm, and instead of leaving it there to be stolen by someone it was lifted and sent to a museum in the UK. There is also a well documented incident involving Peter Collins protecting a wrecks contents underwater!

and please, despite your attempt at bad spelling - dont swear on here, it shows a lack of intelligence and command of your mother tongue.

·
The Maltese Pea Cake
1,378 Posts
The Russians are coming!

It is just they are a tad rude. No one tourist is perfect, especially even lager louts from our own shores.
I was not suggesting their money is not welcome to the Sharm economy......just their attitude.
Just their attitude.
Cheers

·
The Maltese Pea Cake
1,378 Posts
I'll have a bit more respect for this attitude the first time I see a hardcore Brit diver ruck up in a sharm hotel and say "I know your prices have been driven down by the competition with so many other hotels funded by the massive tourist influx, but I am not greedy enough to take advantage of the economic consequences of the tourists boom I regularly decry, please let Me pay extra" rather than "whens happy hour'
Kinell!
Well, I'm happy also happy to pay more. So are lots of others, as can be seen in places like the upmarket resorts of the Red Sea and Maldives etc, etc. In fact dive centre advertise only x number of divers per guide. Everone to their own
Cheers

·
Partly Worn
2,799 Posts
It makes my blood boil when UK divers trawl the internet looking for the cheapest packaged dive holiday they can, whinging about every pound then ruck up in resort and say "where did all these fecking tourists come from" do they think you're not a tourist If you book your dive package from the UK?
Fuxake!
Kinell!
What a load of bollox! Lead the way then! C'mon ante up let's see you volunteer to pay more than you have to.

Why the hell should I? I work for my income, I choose to spend it how I choose and if I save a few quid into the bargain where's the issue? It's an old economic theory called supply and demand. If I enjoy myself and the diving/service is good I can choose to reward individuals. I'm not saying the Egyptians should be ever so grateful for my tourist pound (in fact I'm grateful they let me into their country) but let's keep it real. Everybody I know searches for a bargain, be that a 1* or 5* hotel.

·
Registered
149 Posts
*Groan*
My point, which seems to have sailed directly over your head
dats cos i is so stoopid (which is why i swears so much)
was that Sharm is now to big to absorb the problem we see today, even as little as 5 years ago when we had the bombings and no-one came the town was small enough to cope for a few weeks.
*suspire*

One of my points (seems like such a shame to write such a long post for only one) was that your vision of coping is based on the view from inside the town . Lets say that there is a small town in the desert that employs a hundred people, outside the town 900 people are not employed and live hand to mouth. A crisis hits and the town now only employs 50 people. the employed in the town support the unemployed for the duration of the crisis BUT THE 900 DUNG EATERS OUTSIDE ARE STILL IN THE EXCREMENT.
10 years later the town employs 500 people and there are only 500 people living off the bins at the outskirts. Similair crisis hits, employed population drops to 50, they can support about 50 people but 400 have to leave. So although the town looked lest ghostly to visitors the first time the country really didn't "cope" any worse, did it? Indeed the fact that 450 people were employed for 10 years means the country can cope better
The expansion wasn't driven by brit divers as you claim
*wheeze*
you're not listening. I said that brit divers drove it so far and other tourist markets drove it further

- it was driven by Mubarak and is familiy/friends who wanted to make big bucks out of the bucket and spaders, that is why there has been an explosion of All Inclusive hotels which try to keep the punters inside its compound and use their facilities and go on their trips etc. You're very mistaken if you think any of that cash got into the local economy.
I am aware of the phenomenon of corruption. I am also aware that much of the egyptian labour in Sharm comes from outside of the sinai but if some egyptians are getting paid some money then that is better than no egyptians getting any money. Lets just hope they can sequester some of the old regime's billions - unlikely i know, but we can hope
You talk of your blood boiling when people trawl for cheap deals - where do you think the deals come from? The cheap deals you moan about are only available because of the the Russians et al coming here and keeping prices artificially
i specifically said that it's the influx of tourists that keep it cheap. I have no problem with that, nor do I have a problem with people taking advantage of that. but if you choose to go to a place because it is cheap and it is only cheap because of the tourists, don't moan about the toursists when you get there. If you want somewhere that isn't kept cheap by volume of tourists, pay the price to go somewhere else.
"Rape of wrecks" - again your talking poppycock, yes I know it happens but its not confined to brits, more likely other nations with less respect for twrecks than us. In fact 2 years ago a friend of mine found a cough medicine bottle on the Thistlegorm, and instead of leaving it there to be stolen by someone it was lifted and sent to a museum in the UK. There is also a well documented incident involving Peter Collins protecting a wrecks contents underwater!
To be quite correct, the Peter Collings case is poorly documented (though widely reported), it comes down to essentially two versions of events that are very much at odds with each other, one that labels his actions as protection and one that labels them as theft. I don't know the truth but it's hardly an unequivocal endorsement of his actions.
I did not mean to suggest that only brits damage wrecks, but Sinai diving was opened to the world by the persistence of - in the main - brits, and their early efforts to open up the region for diving laid the foundations for the later boom.
and please, despite your attempt at bad spelling - dont swear on here, it shows a lack of intelligence and command of your mother tongue.
*pant*

to quote that famous half-wit Stephen Fry "The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is in any way a sign of a lack of education or of a lack of verbal interest is just f*cking lunatic,"

I think my innefectual gropings at mastery of your mother tongue are coming along just fine thanks, particularly as I am Polish.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It is just they are a tad rude. No one tourist is perfect, especially even lager louts from our own shores.
I was not suggesting their money is not welcome to the Sharm economy......just their attitude.
Just their attitude.
Cheers
I've never lived in Russia, but my guess is that if a large proportion of people form a culture act in a way that you consider rude, then it is probably because their definition of rudeness is different.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts