YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
"we sit at the bar sipping ice and white Russian"
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok chaps and chappeses

on a recent trip to sharm while diving ras mohamed we dropped onto shark reef with a drop straight down to 800 metres plus.....on decending in my wet suit and diving with a single cylinder...the thought occured to me what should happen now if my bcd bladder burst...ok you say dump the kit (not ideal at 30m)...so whats the answer when diving in a wesuit with a single bladder stab jacket......i know its unlikely and i have never heard of a problem with a bladder of a bcd but it is something that could happen....what do u all think

mark

·
I'm a country member
1,477 Posts
Mark

Dump your weights, better to be alive and bent. Or buy a dual bladder wing if it's a major concern to you.

Ian

·
Make mine a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster.
1,763 Posts
Drop your weights and swim up. If you are correctly weighted, that shouldn't be a problem.

·
Proven ability to roll with it.
2,293 Posts
It would have to be pretty serious damage to the bcd to not carry any air and I think you'd have to be seriously overweighted not to swim/climb it up to the surface.

I'd mention your buddy but as your in the red sea... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
hmmm a few suggestions from the comfort of a chair ....not the panic of a burst BCD bladder...
1. drop your weights and swim up.
2. If you have plenty gas. fire off your Dsmb (15kg lift for a good one) and accend by reeling in on the line. (Ive seen this done but you need nerves of steel)
2.5 ....or tie your reel off to something (the reef) and then drop your weights and control your rise to the surface by reeling out on the line. (also seen this done after somebody lost their weight belt in a wreck)
3. hang onto your buddys arm making frantic "Ive lost all my boyancy " signals so he/she can lift you both.
4. a mix of options 2 and 3

there...some quality armchair [email protected] for you :)

Hazel

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
2. If you have plenty gas. fire off your Dsmb (15kg lift for a good one) and accend by reeling in on the line. (Ive seen this done but you need nerves of steel)

Hazel
Did this as part of IANTD Adv Eanx course simulated loss of all bouyancy - it's not nerves of steel needed it's finger muscles.
Very hard work when weighted to allow for dumped stages; a bit like underwater jumaring. Fin and wind, rest, fin and wind...................... collapse at surface.
Good character building stuff.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Swim up, get to the surface then drop your weights.

There is absolutely no excuse for being significantly overweighted in a single and BCD. You should have just enough to sink the rig with a empty tank. So there is only the compression of your wet suit an maybe 1-2KG to worry about swimming up.

AND you have no deco AND its only 30m

Ditching your weights at 30 and doing a Polaris is a very high risk option. Exploded lungs can not be fixed.

However ignoring all the drama stuff the chances of a BCD of any design being completely useless after damage, is slim. Pulling off the inflater hose is the most likely cause of problems. Stay as horizontal as possible get to a buddy and get an assisted lift.

My weights (2kg) are cam banded to the tank on my single rig and permanently on the waste band of my twin set and my CCR rig. Ditching weights is never an option for me nor is this any concern to me.

If the dive is significant enough for it to be an issue (ie multi deco tanks deco commitment and deep then i take redundant buoyancy via lift bags or Dry suit. If i made a habit of doing these dives in warm water, id get a double bladder wing.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Swim up, get to the surface then drop your weights.

There is absolutely no excuse for being significantly overweighted in a single and BCD. You should have just enough to sink the rig with a empty tank. So there is only the compression of your wet suit an maybe 1-2KG to worry about swimming up.

AND you have no deco AND its only 30m

Ditching your weights at 30 and doing a Polaris is a very high risk option. Exploded lungs can not be fixed.
Excellent advice. Don't forget that you have a buddy. If he/she has b*ggered off, you're not too far from the reef so you can use it to stop your descent to 800m and pause for a little while to sort yourself out. If you're hanging on to the reef (hopefully not trashing too much of it) someone is bound to come over to tell you off, so you can signal your problem and ask for assistance to the surface.

Cheers, Chris

·
"we sit at the bar sipping ice and white Russian"
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi yes most of these things i already know i just wanted to put it to the boards to see what people came up with....its not tech stuff just a normal dive on a single cylinder...its just good to put ideas on here for people who are less aware of things like this that could happen (not trying to scare anybody)....my dsmb is also one with the mini cylinder on...so easier to deploy(and ive had to use it in anger off elphinstone a life saver)...i also have redundancy with this as in spool and normal dsmb..but would'nt want to be faffing around with that in complete buoyancy failure..anyway thanks for the tips and advice....hopefully it will help me and others out and give food for thought.

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
steel)
2.5 ....or tie your reel off to something (the reef) and then drop your weights and control your rise to the surface by reeling out on the line. (also seen this done after somebody lost their weight belt in a wreck)
Hazel
Great Idea Hazel, not sure I would have thought of this, one for the emergency bank, thank you.

Pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts