YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I've got a 3mm steamer to take with me to the Red Sea in November. With anticipated water temperatures of 22 - 24 c it's about borderline whether it will be enough.

I was looking at the Reed Chill Cheater range of clothing to take as an extra layer under the wetsuit if needed. It should do the job and the big advantage is that it won't take up much room or add much weight to the bag. It will be cheaper than buying a 5mm suit and as a system will give more flexibility.

It seems to make sense, but before I splash out has anyone used the stuff and do you have any comments?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I have one. It works. Haven't had much opportunity to use it myself yet, other than in the pool when they left the heating off, but it's been noticeably warmer than skin

Main thing I've used is the hood, which has certainly kept my head warm every time.

Had a buddy once who wanted to stick with her 3mm hood as it was more comfortable but felt obliged to wear her 5mm as it was cold. Lent her my chillcheater hood & she wore it with her 3mm. Came back up amazed - she'd felt warmer than her 5mm would have kept her, she ordered her own hood the same day.

And didn't give me mine back until it arrived

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Well I ordered one of these - and what service!

They're a made to measure item, so I sent off the order over the net together with my sizing chart. This at about 3.00pm. I shortly after got a phone call just to check the details.

By 7.30 am the next day a made to measure suit arrived in the post! Perfect fit. No idea how they do it, but remarkable!

I'll let you know if it's any good when I get the chance to use it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Mark,
My wife and I both have these and have been using them regularly for a couple of years now, and still no signs of wear - the chillcheaters that is, sadly can't say the same about us.

We got them initally for the same reason as you and they are excellent to supplement a wet suit and a bonus for the pool.

We went for a 2 piece, shortjohns and T shirts giving plenty of options/combinations.  Normally we start off with a 3mm shortie and introduce another layer every couple of days as you get used to the temperature. I have even managed to just use the chillcheater during the summer in the Red Sea although it does get a bit cold for anything over 45 mins just bimbling around. You'll probably want the lot in November.

Apart from the compact size for travelling they dry quickly in between dives so are warm and dry to put on after a surface interval.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>If you are planning more than one dive a day that 3mm steamer will do nice as a baselayer under a 7mm semidry.
We have about the same temps here at the moment and a 7mm semi is what I use doing 2 to 4 dives a day. Or am I just a softie.

Regards
Michael

1 - 5 of 5 Posts