YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hello all,

I am in the process of building my own reel and have a question to you, what material should i use for the spool material? Till now I know about Derlin but what other materials, maybe cheaper exist?

Regards

Pierre

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I've got a reel from Kent Tooling and it's all complete 316 Marine Grade SS.

Superbly made, cheap (£50 for a 100m Primary) and comes with a choice of line colours - mine's pink

Kent Tooling

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Hmmm.............pink line reel line............... must get one, thats the one colour thats missing from my kit.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Pierre

JP at Kent Tooling (who is in the same club as me) will talk the horses home on the quality of his material, at the end of the day i think he's right.

We have another guy in the club who designs oil rigs and stuff and he winds JP up sometimes that his metal is not the best. But he later admits that the stuff he uses would be far too expensive and unnecesary for diving reels.

I cannot comment on his reels as i have never used one (well i have taken his over a couple of times, no problems) but i can strongly recommend his Pony brackets, top stuff Pony Brackets

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

See, I've seen this website before and was put off on the assumption that we were dealing with a couple of hundred. £50!!! For a 100m reel! A decent bit of kit! Someone hold me back Saturday morning at the dive show. I'm going.

Why aren't there any prices? I'm a poor, lowly student, and price is a big factor in any bit of kit I go for.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Digs,

Fill in the catalogue request and nice JP will send you a full catalogue with pix and prices.

It's the only reel I've ever bought that comes complete with spares kit.

Ditto on views on the pony clamp. Mrs Gavster got one and it's much better made than any other that I've seen.

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Diggs

Mention my name to John and you may be able to get a bit more discount, i'll let him know you are going to visit him. He's the little ugly guy with dark hair, not Arian Andy the big blond guy who works with him.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

Digger - better get there fast - I may well pretend to be you for a discount!
Paul - AndyP suggested I talked to you about diving out of Dover - can't remember the name of the wreck, but he said there was one with lots to find on it - ring any bells?
Regards, and dive safe
Martin

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Paul.

How DARE you say that about JP, and who started the marina rumours that he is my BROTHER ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]He's the little ugly guy with dark hair,
Andy

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Andy, welllll now you mention it

Martin, You are welcome anytime however we have a bit of a Zero Viz problem at the moment.

All our 350 odd wrecks have lots on them, Portholes, Bells, Lobsters, Edible Crabs, Dubloons, Ingots, lots torches, reels etc. But Andy probably means the Loanda with its clay pipes and bottles etc.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

No I think it was the Strathclyde coz I sugested it for a 30 somthing dive. I call it the Mini Duke now because the china on it has exactly the same design as some of the bowls on the Duke.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Steve its not just his hair dressing car and reel, you should see his new hair dressing dry suit, the otter bitchannic salon. Pink and everthing, had a special hood to not mess up his hair.

ohh behave you cow

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

Paul
Thanks for the offer - I may well take you up on it!
Mark - that's the one 'Strathclyde' definitely rings a bell - it's because I was telling Andrew I'd never yet returned from a dive with a piece of 'memorabilia', and he said I'd be guaranteed something (even if it is an old plate) if I did the Strathclyde. Hope you're feeling better.
Regards, and dive safe
Martin

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Am I being stupid, or is there no catalogue request bit on the website? All I can find is links to photos, and links to phoenix oceaneering etc.

Do I need to e-mail the guy? I might as well wait until the dive show if it's going to take a while.

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi Digger

I think with Crisspy's reply, yes you are being stupid

But hey your a student so probably drunk?

I did actually rag him a while ago about the web site and he appears to have had it sorted out. Prices well they are cheap anyway but i'll have a word with him tomorrow and try to get something sorted.

Dive safe

Paul

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Martin

The Strathclyde is a terrible wreck, only 1.25 Nm from Dover Western entrance and full of crockery. The big problem other than the seacats trying to get to France is that there is usually a big old hard boat sitting on her full of Dover divers.

She's 8m Proud in 30m, lots of Congas, crabs, etc.

We will have a look and bring back plenty.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Aaargh. It's not there on my browser. What's going on? Help me! I can't get a damned catalogue! Oh, sod it, I'll phone the guys.

I still don't understand why I dont' have it.

Oh crap. Digger takes it all back. I've just found it. Anyone else out there that couldn't see it, highlight the manufactured by engineers who dive bit and pull down. That's where the little beggars are hiding.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts