YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Reels, wrecks and blobs. - Am I an endangerd species.

• Tie reel to wreck etc before "bagging off".

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't tie on to anything before "bagging off".

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

This post is to find out normal diving procedure (as a result of some smug answer on Divernet) and the vote is for your preferred method of bagging off. We all carry backups, can do from mid water etc - I am only trying to get an idea if I am in a minority (well, a ONE) as it appeared from the replies from Divernet (not that it matter because I'll still do it my way).

I was taught the OPTION off tying my reel to something secure and then letting the bag go. Practical experience proved this to be a very safe and reliable method and is my preferred option - there are exceptions.

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

Hi

We have discussed this elsewhere. I have also been 'taught' to tie off to a wreck and also to deploy midwater. I've never liked the tie off option because you can't rely on finding a place to tie off, I'd rather not touch the wreck believing in conserving the experience for other divers, and lastly, I'd rather reel in from a shallower part of the dive rather than my max depth.

Kindest Regards

WL

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

How exactly DO you tie onto the wreck using a spool? Thread the line through the center?

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Made the same point on handbagnet, but I just don't see the necessity. I'll hjave to go over and see whether the thread's gone much further. I'm sure it's got down to pointless name-calling by now...

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wetlettuce @ July 14 2003,14:36)]I'd rather not touch the wreck believing in conserving the experience for other divers.
WL,

You must have some nice wrecks where you are OR I never get taken to a good one.

There has alway been something very substantial to loop the tie off line around. Also don't forget the upward tug on the bag is not that great until I let it go - just enough to keep it erect, if you'll pardon the expression. From 30 mtrs you only need a quarter fill in the bag.

Bryan

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ July 14 2003,14:55)]I'm sure it's got down to pointless name-calling by now...
Unfortunately, if it has, it might be my fault this time as I put a somewhat lengthy and terse rebuttal as an answer.

I'd promised myself not to bother but sometimes I just can't help myself - sometimes a few handbags at 10 paces can be amusing.

Bryan

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ July 14 2003,14:47)]How exactly DO you tie onto the wreck using a spool? Thread the line through the center?
No, you have a bondage chain on your ankle which is attached to a bit of the wreck and hold on tight to your spool.

Domininc, did you do a post, some time ago, asking if anyone had got hit by an ascending DSMB? If so, and if you got any replies, would you mind pointing me towards it.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Hey M8 I have already thrown my handbag at you on diver net so I wont bother doing it again

As I said on the dark side, do what makes you feel good, just putting forward a few options / thaughts on the system.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

I'll answer you here, that why the likes of VICW aka Victhe prick won't start.

I to was always shown and taught to tie off on something solid or deploy by holding onto something solid from many years back.

If you examine the ermmmmmmm dare i say it , BSAC accident reports, you can see that the high % of divers trying mid water deployments are being dragged to the surface at a high rate of knots, wether this is down to poor in club training by the instructors THAT KNOW THE BEST WAY or what i don't know.

At the end of the day , a Dsmb is a lifting bag, weather it is holds air of a ballon or a 1 ton lifting bag, the only place it is going is UP.

The bit i saw about wreck damage ,, whileeeeeeee a Dsmb and rell is far less damaging than a hammer and cold chisel.

Andy

ISDIMW

( I'll Stay Doing It My Way ) coz i to have never been dragged to the surface .

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ July 14 2003,15:32)]Hey M8 I have already thrown my handbag at you on diver net so I wont bother doing it again
Mark,

Been there, seen it and replied to it - I only brought it over here to do a poll, and because you and Digger are regulars on here.

Looks like I'm losing on the poll stakes at the moment. I wonder if I should have put some depth alternatives into the equation.

For example, IMO, it is important to get the DSMB up asap the deeper you are so the Skipper can see you come off the wreck. Esp important when the stealth mode crew (YBODs) are spending half a day on the wreck and twin tennies like me are coming up earlier.

I do take your point, with my bottle inflated DSMB, it is possible to open the valve so that DSMB inflated v/slowly so there is no rush in letting the thing go.

However, I like to close the valve on the SMB bottle before letting it go in order to keep pressure in and water out at the surface.

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

The lovely people that I have dived with showed me how much easier it is to attach to the wreck. My reel has a lenth of elastic and a clip so i can fix it to any handy beam or whatever.
It is easier to deploy becuase you dont need three hands, then you can reel yourself up keeping slightly negatively bouyant, slowing down your ascent and enabling you to stop at 5m rather than wizzing past. This works for me fine so dont care what anyone else does if it works better for them.
I can do mid water launching of my SMB but it easier if it is bagged off to something or if you have a handy buddy to hold the release on the reel.
My SMB is the best bit of kit and i have been glad of it times many.
Jules

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

OK, I've got to be honest, it one of those whatever suits situations, and I can see why you'd tie off, but I don't see it as necessary for me. Others may vary, but it's not my style.

Another one I had last week was a buddy who wanted me to fire the blob, while he did the reel. Kept things simple for him and me, but there was no backup. All those spare hands could be used for double-reeling. What's going to happen when you're on your own? What about when you lose your buddy and really need to bag off well, having not practiced it for months? Interesting what other people never really think about. I like to get my oar in whenever I see someone doing things in a new way, andoften they show me a better way of doing things, but I'm still not convinced about tying things onto wrecks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hi

We have discussed this elsewhere. I have also been 'taught' to tie off to a wreck and also to deploy midwater. I've never liked the tie off option because you can't rely on finding a place to tie off, I'd rather not touch the wreck believing in conserving the experience for other divers, and lastly, I'd rather reel in from a shallower part of the dive rather than my max depth.

Kindest Regards

WL

Hi all, just a piont i would like to raise with WL, if your bagging up from a shallower depth than normal, could you not find yourself a little bit away from your boat.

If your deploying from shallow then even with a very mild current you and your blob could pop up far from your boat and they may not see you, in fact most of the skippers i have dived with have said that if you bag up you bag up from the wreck, not midwater unless you have too.

Also, i dont see anything wrong with tying into the wreck before you deploy, it can save many a birds nest and stressfull times.

All the best

Laurence

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ July 14 2003,19:51)]What's going to happen when you're on your own? What about when you lose your buddy and really need to bag off well, having not practiced it for months? Interesting what other people never really think about. .
agreed, I know I can deploy my SMB on my own in mid water and do practice it regularly. recently I lost my buddies and the wreck in shit viz and a fast current and deploying it on my own became very important so totally agree with you on that one.
jules

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Laurence @ July 14 2003,20:12)]Hi all, just a piont i would like to raise with WL, if your bagging up from a shallower depth than normal, could you not find yourself a little bit away from your boat.

If your deploying from shallow then even with a very mild current you and your blob could pop up far from your boat and they may not see you, in fact most of the skippers i have dived with have said that if you bag up you bag up from the wreck, not midwater unless you have too.

Also, i dont see anything wrong with tying into the wreck before you deploy, it can save many a birds nest and stressfull times.

All the best

Laurence
This has been discussed elsewhere in the equipment section under reels.

This thread is a poll and I gave my vote.

Kindest Regards

WL

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi All,

as long as you are comfortable deploying from mid water and from a fixed position IMO it's horses for courses, that said even on a wreck I will deploy without tying off as the only time I tied off in anger I sent the blob, reel and a piece of wreck to the surface  

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve S @ July 14 2003,23:59)]as the only time I tied off in anger I sent the blob, reel and a piece of wreck to the surface
Steve,

I hope it was a good bit of wreck so you could pretend you meant to send it up + did you tell the ROW?

Bryan

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I'm kinda with the Lettuce on this.

I will bag up from the wreck but never tie on to it. (One day you're gonna be diving and there's nowt to tie onto so IMHO it's best to get used to doing without all the time.)

Never had a birdsnest either.

Look after your reel - it is your friend. Spin the line out of it regularly and load the spool correctly. Make sure there's not too much line on it ( a regular problem cos line expands in the water)

and practice doing it.

or do what did at the weekend ... go shore diving, max depth 14m and swim back to shore under the water!! No blob required(still had one with me tho)

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

I've done both.

I can send one up from the bottom, or from mid-water if I have to, and I practise doing this.  However if there is a decent place to tie off and I have the time then why not?  

I wouldn't tie off to anything vulnerable and the force is less than exerted by boats tying onto permanent shots.  It isn't a matter of course, it's just another option that can reduce stress.

The only time my line has tangled I was glad to have the reel tied to the wreck.  It meant that I could cut away the SMB and send up another one.  I could have double reeled and that would have also solved the problem also.  

I think as long as you don't use it to cover for an inability to send one up without tying on then it is just a tool in the box.

Cheers

Lou

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finless @ July 15 2003,11:17)][

I hope it was a good bit of wreck so you could pretend you meant to send it up + did you tell the ROW?

Bryan
<font color='#000080'>Hi Bryan,

it looked stable enough but early on in my diving I thought that more air was better also they had already mounted the piece on the deck for all to see when we finally surfaced.

It found its way back to the bottom when everyone had finished ripping the p' out of me.

Safe diving,
Steve.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts