YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Reels, wrecks and blobs. - Am I an endangerd species.

• Tie reel to wreck etc before "bagging off".

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't tie on to anything before "bagging off".

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,284 Posts
Imported post

Hey M8 I have already thrown my handbag at you on diver net so I wont bother doing it again

As I said on the dark side, do what makes you feel good, just putting forward a few options / thaughts on the system.

ATB

Mark Chase

15,284 Posts
Imported post

Perhaps I am more critical of this practice because bottom time at depth is so important. If you do a deep dive your bottom time is limited by gas and your tolerance of deco. As a result you can end up with 20min -30 min bottom times on a dive that just cost you £50.00 in gas, £35 for the boat and £10 in petrol.

Fafing about finding a tie off spot and actualy tieing off is a time consuming and there for bad thing. also a cock up would cause extra bottom time which = extra deco comitment.

If I bag oof and it goes tits up I let go the reel and go to first stop depth and go to back up. That is the safest thing to do on a deep dive. All this getting toed to the surface nonsence is for people who think there £100.00 worth of equipment is worth the trip in the helecopter.

I made that mistake once but never again.

So all in all horses for courses. If your happy with the system and not doing extended bottom times cool. If you are then mid water / botom deployment of DSMB is IMHO esential skill.

ATB

Mark Chase

15,284 Posts
Imported post

As told before I got inverted after being draged up about 5m when another gas filled DSMB hit my line and got tangled. I did a feet first ascent from about 26m to the surface but went back down got on 02 and was very lucky to avoid a bend.

I was off the wreck when this happened and was heading up to my first stop depth so tieing off isnt an issue in this case. Being stupid and hanging on to my reel was the issue.

Thank God for 02 my 6m stop was sposed to be 10mins I did 45

Mark Chase

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.