YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Reels, wrecks and blobs. - Am I an endangerd species.

• Tie reel to wreck etc before "bagging off".

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't tie on to anything before "bagging off".

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

This post is to find out normal diving procedure (as a result of some smug answer on Divernet) and the vote is for your preferred method of bagging off. We all carry backups, can do from mid water etc - I am only trying to get an idea if I am in a minority (well, a ONE) as it appeared from the replies from Divernet (not that it matter because I'll still do it my way).

I was taught the OPTION off tying my reel to something secure and then letting the bag go. Practical experience proved this to be a very safe and reliable method and is my preferred option - there are exceptions.

23,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wetlettuce @ July 14 2003,14:36)]I'd rather not touch the wreck believing in conserving the experience for other divers.
WL,

You must have some nice wrecks where you are OR I never get taken to a good one.

There has alway been something very substantial to loop the tie off line around. Also don't forget the upward tug on the bag is not that great until I let it go - just enough to keep it erect, if you'll pardon the expression. From 30 mtrs you only need a quarter fill in the bag.

Bryan

23,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ July 14 2003,14:55)]I'm sure it's got down to pointless name-calling by now...
Unfortunately, if it has, it might be my fault this time as I put a somewhat lengthy and terse rebuttal as an answer.

I'd promised myself not to bother but sometimes I just can't help myself - sometimes a few handbags at 10 paces can be amusing.

Bryan

23,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ July 14 2003,14:47)]How exactly DO you tie onto the wreck using a spool? Thread the line through the center?
No, you have a bondage chain on your ankle which is attached to a bit of the wreck and hold on tight to your spool.

Domininc, did you do a post, some time ago, asking if anyone had got hit by an ascending DSMB? If so, and if you got any replies, would you mind pointing me towards it.

23,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ July 14 2003,15:32)]Hey M8 I have already thrown my handbag at you on diver net so I wont bother doing it again
Mark,

Been there, seen it and replied to it - I only brought it over here to do a poll, and because you and Digger are regulars on here.

Looks like I'm losing on the poll stakes at the moment. I wonder if I should have put some depth alternatives into the equation.

For example, IMO, it is important to get the DSMB up asap the deeper you are so the Skipper can see you come off the wreck. Esp important when the stealth mode crew (YBODs) are spending half a day on the wreck and twin tennies like me are coming up earlier.

I do take your point, with my bottle inflated DSMB, it is possible to open the valve so that DSMB inflated v/slowly so there is no rush in letting the thing go.

However, I like to close the valve on the SMB bottle before letting it go in order to keep pressure in and water out at the surface.

23,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve S @ July 14 2003,23:59)]as the only time I tied off in anger I sent the blob, reel and a piece of wreck to the surface
Steve,

I hope it was a good bit of wreck so you could pretend you meant to send it up + did you tell the ROW?

Bryan

23,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Chris Guimaraens @ July 17 2003,13:16)]What is the point of tying the reel? Is it because if there is a jam you don't risk a uncrottoled rapid ascent? also not hence not loose your reel and SMB?
Chris,

There is no argument that as a specific act, tieing the reel off and releasing the DSMB is safer than doing it from mid water. That is not to say that all of us should be able to send one up from mid water.

Losing the reel is not a worry as my life is worth more than.that

There are other considerations, as has already been mentioned, about using up bottom time and poss over running your time at the max depth. Also, by always sending the DSMB up from a tied off position you run the risk of getting out of practise doing it from mid water etc.

Your own comment abt practicing deploying a DSMB and being pulled up a few mtrs is an indication of what CAN happen and apparently BSAC statistics show it happens too often.

All I can say is I prefer the tieing off method but when required I can do from mid water - usually on the second dive when the skip wants the bags up after 20 mins on a drift. I would thouroughly receommend to anyone the DSMBs with the refillable inflation bottles. Not only are they easier to deploy, you can guarantee they will be properly inflated on the surface.

However you do it, may your blob always be there to greet you but never take you there with it.

23,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ July 17 2003,23:22)]I'm going back to tiddly-winks.  Does anybody make an incredibly expensive yellow tiddlywinks set, cos I want one.  The more dangerous the better.
You had better look for some inflatable ones so you can do pressure tests prior to the game - at least you will still be able to use some of the training. As you appear to getting to the age known as too old you might as well give me your YBOD.

23,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Imported post

Some good replies in this thread and the results are pretty even. Personally I don't mind winding in 50 mtrs of line as my reel is of the larger type plus it is a visual reference on the ascent rate - don't overtake the line and have slack forming.

I don't get below 40 mtrs very often so Mark's info on the deeper side of things makes good sense.

Not having seen the BSAC reports on the accidents caused by mid water deployment of DSMBs I wonder if the vast majority of these incidents occur to inexperienced divers or those who do not dive regularly?

We can all agree that deploying a bag from mid water is a necessary skill.

Perhaps newbies should be trained so that if they get dragged to the surface by their DSMB they should get on the boat quickly and get the tea ready asap, certainly before they get the DCI hit.

23,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well go have a look at the reports then;
http://www.bsac.org/techserv/increp02/ascents02.htm
Tks for the link. No matter where they happened I presume if the divers had tied on before inflating then these accidents would not have been caused by the bag.

I am more than happy to accept that there are some times when deploying a bag from the bottom is not the best option, however, where practical I prefer to use it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.