YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

I need to buy a reel (for DSMB use) in the next few days but as there are loads about im looking for suggestions on what to get.

Makes / suppliers and so on would help along with things to avoid or look for in one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Imported post

Hi String, I am a little hesitant suggesting this, but I find  a spool about the easiest way to shoot an smb,always providing you are shooting it from 25m and shallower.
Diverite do them, I have heard reports they may be cheaper, although a little more brittle than the halcyon product.

Cheers, Malcolm.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

I don't even know the name of the makers of my reels.

The plastic reels are OK - I have not had a problem with mine. I do a reasonable amount of boat diving and they have endured for several years of the abuse they get on a boat.

I, personally, would recommend the "ratchet type" reel over the others.

Probably a case of Grandma/eggs/sucking here but make sure you allow plenty of extra reel line for your targets diving depth ie if you dive to 40 mtrs you would need a reel with at least 60 mtrs of line.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I recently received a catalogue from these people Kent Tooling looks like very high quality stuff, prices seem very reasonable too and it's nice to have something a bit more individual
HTH
Steve

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

I use a spool and only deploy my smb from 20 mtrs max. They are impractical from a deeper depth.

Whatever you buy remember to practice first and make sure you know exactly how to set it up, and deploy it underwater. Make sure you can do the whole thing without assistance. So many accidents are caused by these things its unreal. Simplest is best.

Kindest Regards

WL

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

I use one of the mde reels.  is that right?  or is it mde?  cant remember.  anyway, tough, easy to use and a good size.  no problems there

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wetlettuce @ July 07 2003,15:50)]I use a spool and only deploy my smb from 20 mtrs max. They are impractical from a deeper depth.
<font color='#000F22'>What happens if you have to do stops deeper than 20m?

I too use a spool for bagging off shallow but also have a Manta reel for deeper DSMB deployment.

Whatever you choose, practice in shallow water and always be prepared to let it go if it does jam.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

Thanks for the replies, after reading around and talking to others ive decided to go for the McMahon large reel.  I realise its bulky but from others ive spoken to using them it doesnt seem to be too much of a problem.

All the dives ive done have been with a DSMB or SMB so im familiar with them and the use its just up until now ive always used my buddys but now its time to get my own.

I aim to practice in the pool this week although only in 4m of water this isnt ideal and then start carrying it.

Normal procedure with the club here is send up the bag from the bottom when finished (or sometimes 5 mins prior to surfacing)  not from a shallower depth so theres a fair chance some deployments would be below 20-25m making winding a spool or smaller reel a bit fiddly.

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gavin Yates @ July 07 2003,19:38)]What happens if you have to do stops deeper than 20m?

I too use a spool for bagging off shallow but also have a Manta reel for deeper DSMB deployment.

Whatever you choose, practice in shallow water and always be prepared to let it go if it does jam.
<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

Reasons why;

1. I don't need a smb to hold a stop. I would be reluctant to deploy one until my last stop so I know my deco obligations have been met. Rapid ascent is not an option. Too many things can go wrong with an SMB.

2. If deep stops are required and I am ocean diving then I would be going up on a shot line. And yes I would use a reel from the line to make sure I return up the shot.

3. Deploying a SMB from deep increases chances of entanglement so even if I couldn't get back to the line I would rather drift and deploy my SMB from my last stop (although 20 metres would be my gas switch on 50% and so its quite a nice depth and makes the most of the partial pressure)

HTH

WL

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I've not once had trouble deploying a blob from depth  (touching wood at the moment) even on my deep stops.  And i've only once got back to the shot for my ascent,  we've always bagged off so the skipper can go and retrieve the shot and then follow the blobs, waiting for us to surface.  I suppose it depends on how long you've got slack water for.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Eh? How does deploying a blob from e.g. 30 metres  risk entanglement? I did this on Saturday and Sunday, adjacent to a shot line too on the latter, and didn't get tangled, that way if things got crowded at the top of the shot, me and my buddy could drift off and avoid the more realistic problems of crowding the line.

As for making the most of your 50% O2, I was quite interested when on the Deco Proc course, Andy H showed us some (software) deco profiles which illustrated that you were better off with shallower, higher O2 mixes than an early switch to a lower percentage.
Still, "horses for courses" an aal that like y'naar
Chee-az
Steve

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Sometimes we don't live in the perfect world where shotlines are left in for the duration. Sometime's you can't always lay line off and complete the dive that you wish to do.

I would say that letting the skipper know where you're going before you get to mid-water isn't a bad thing.

Steve, you point about 50% was interesting. IIRC Andy was particulalry concerned about folk coming off high H2 mixes and then banging on the 50% and leaping up both the PP and the ammount of n2 at the same time. He was advocaring cutting your deco gas with h2 to aliviate the big jump in n2 PP.

Anyway Steve, I concur with you - each to his own.

BTW thanks for another fine w/e of diving (in the Farnes) - but we must stop risking our lives with these deep DSMB deployments and un-necessary reel use. Also can you stop using all that "stroke shit" immediately cos Ben's taken his boots off his twins.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Yeah, good to finally dive the Farnes after all this time, must get back there soon, preferably with 'er indoors.  Would definately choose the CC again with a view to following your profile and Ron's suggestions.
BTW, was looking the wreck up in Ron's  wreck books, can you believe that wreck has been down there since before WW1 ? outstanding!

I reckon the boots will be going back on, Ben was getting upset at the battering his bottles took ever the weekend.

Now, where can I get one of those caving helmets to put a bunch of buddy-blinding torches on...  

Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

Hi all.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Reasons why;

1. I don't need a smb to hold a stop. I would be reluctant to deploy one until my last stop so I know my deco obligations have been met. Rapid ascent is not an option. Too many things can go wrong with an SMB.
What are these things that can go wrong with a DSMB, and why are they more likely to happen below 20m? Please elaborate.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]2. If deep stops are required and I am ocean diving then I would be going up on a shot line. And yes I would use a reel from the line to make sure I return up the shot.
You are assuming of course that you have found the shot, the line hasn't broke, and some muppet hasnt already lifted it. All have happened.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]3. Deploying a SMB from deep increases chances of entanglement so even if I couldn't get back to the line I would rather drift and deploy my SMB from my last stop (although 20 metres would be my gas switch on 50% and so its quite a nice depth and makes the most of the partial pressure)
How does a deep deployment increase chances of entanglement?
If you mean the greater length of line deployed has greater chance of coming into conact with another diver or piece of debris I can understand that.
But the fact that you are deep dosent make it more likely that YOU will become entangled IMHO.

Stu.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wetlettuce @ July 07 2003,15:50)]I use a spool and only deploy my smb from 20 mtrs max. They are impractical from a deeper depth.
Sorry - can't agree at all (assuming you mean the DSMB is impractical from a deeper depth - not the spool). The safest place to send a DSMB up from is off the wreck - tie the reel on to the wreck and send up the DSMB. Also, the skipper knows where you are from the moment you start your ascent and drift off the wreck.

Of course, everyone should be proficient in sending a bag up from mid water.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I suspect he means spools, and I'd have to agree - I have a spool as my backup reel, but I hope I never have to use it, as it's a total PITA to wind..

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PressurE @ July 08 2003,14:54)]If you mean the greater length of line deployed has greater chance of coming into conact with another diver or piece of debris I can understand that.
<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

Yes thats exactly what I meant, but you all knew that anyway. Obviously the more line released the increased probability of entanglement. The longer the 'reel' is spinning whilst deploying the line the increased probability of jamming. Probabilities and all that. And of course for you it never goes wrong but for me in my short time in diving I've seen all sorts of problems.

Rapid ascent due to reg tangling in smb
SMB burst due to over inflation
Tangling with someone elses SMB
Reels jamming
SMB not setup properly resulting in failed deployment

IMO they are an excellent way to ruin a good dive.

You could also argue that the deeper you deploy the more chance of freeflow from the reg (if you use one) and also chance of error due to narcosis, but I won't labour the point because its all commonsense and you already know this stuff.

The point about whether the shot is there or not is largely due to bad planning, but should I not be able to return to the shot then I would ascend without it, I don't think it is wise to rely on an smb for a safe ascent. What if you lose the shot and then your smb doesn't deploy? What do YOU do?

Regarding deco stuff you will do as you are taught by your instructor, and thats cool. I would say that theres a bigger spike from 21/35%(pp .34) to 100%(pp 1.6) at 6 metres than from 21/35%(pp .63) to 50%(pp 1.5) at 20 metres? And from 44% N2 to 50% N2 is hardly any difference at all. Anyway I digress.

I would personally prefer to deploy my smb at 6 mtrs really, the later the better (which would be perfect if I used 100% O2). They're just such a PITA.

One other point is if that you are so reliant on your smb for a safe ascent then surely it makes more sense to make it idiotproof, so like I said the simpler the better not only in function but also deployment and stowage.

PressurE, I hope thats enough elaboration

Kindest Regards

WL

PS And Gavin, wind your neck in with this 'risking lives and stroke shit', it doesn't promote healthy debate and just encourages people not to post (and makes you sound like a wet turd!
)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Rapid ascent due to reg tangling in smb
SMB burst due to over inflation
Tangling with someone elses SMB
Reels jamming
SMB not setup properly resulting in failed deployment
Sounds to me like you're diving with a bunch of strokes. Why not find some buddies who can do it right?

How did somebody manage to burst a dSMB?? Or was it a standard SMB they tried filling underwater?

Just out of interest, has anybody ever been hit by an ascending dSMB? Do they hurt?

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wetlettuce @ July 08 2003,15:57)]The point about whether the shot is there or not is largely due to bad planning, but should I not be able to return to the shot then I would ascend without it, I don't think it is wise to rely on an smb for a safe ascent. What if you lose the shot and then your smb doesn't deploy? What do YOU do?
If my main DSMB doesn't deploy, i let it go and get the spare one out of my pocket (it's next to the yellow 'out of gas' blob) and clip it to my line laying reel.  i thought that's what everybody did.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts