YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
This is my happy face!!
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it okay to clean the second stages in diluted baby sterilising stuff?

If yes, should I just let them soak or should it be a quick shake in the mixture?

If no, what do others do to keep them clean?

I also seem to remember from somewhere, that the second stages shouldn't be allowed to soak unless under pressure. Is this right?

All advice apprecaited, ta.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Erm...I use a hose with fresh water.

You are right that they shouldn't soak unpressurised however - but only if you have the first stage lower thn the second, or in the water. Basically what you don't want is water getting up your hose and into the first stage.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
Keep them clean??? No comprende :D

Soak in fresh water is all they need. If you need to sterilise (like you dropped the unit in dogshit at stoney) I would remove the mouthpiece and sterilise then re-fit. I doubt a weak milton would harm the 2nd, but personally I wouldn't chance it.

I don't bother with pressurisation to soak, but as Lou says keep the water out is the key.

Chris

·
This is my happy face!!
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Lou. I was thinking more of all the little beasties that fester in the mouthpiece & workings of the 2nd stage. I recall reading somewhere (always dangerous) that they can live for ages.

Get your point about water creeping up the hoses, ta.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Well, the little beasties have never got me and I have never, ever sterilised. I don't know of anyone who has to be honest!

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
Get a packet of virkon. It's inert and kills just about anything without damaging what is being dunked but is harmless to humans (within reason). It's about £1.50 a pack from agricultural/equestrian shops.

As others have said though, why bother? My 15yr old Apeks T40 has hardly had a rinse nevermind sterilising.

Cheers,

Stuart

·
Banned
1,601 Posts
I tend to leave my second stages in a weak solution of Milton for a short period (10 mins or so) probably once a year when I flush out my bcs & wings with the same stuff. Done it for ages and doesn't seemed to have buggered anything. Keeps me happy anyways.

HTH

Chris/z
:)

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
I don't think I'd bother other than a hose off to remove the salt. If it can live in seawater AND tap water it won't survive drying out in air.

I have trigene to clean the works of the rebreather (reputedly similar to the Buddy-clean stuff sold by APD) as once you've drained off the glop that collects in the exhale side counterlung you really want to use something chemical on it (that stuff came out of ME???). I suppose I could use that if I thought the systems had been badly contaminated.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
I usually take and bring back my kit in its assembled state. For the last year, when I get home after a dive I get a bucket of warm water and dump regs, SPG's and my FFM in the warm water - I believe it stops the crudding up more than cold water will. After that, everything gets a quick hose down.

Prior to this I just used to hose the kit down. As for bugs, what 'kin bugs? Are you a rough tough diver or not? You'll look even harder if your lips have rotted away like mine.

F*ck*ing bugs indeed ................. that's girly thinking that is!!! :):):):)

·
Banned
402 Posts
I personally wouldn't use any baby sterilising stuff, miltons kills the bacteria using chlorine. You might aswell dip your kit in the swimming pool if you want chlorine on it.....

·
23,946 Posts
I personally wouldn't use any baby sterilising stuff, miltons kills the bacteria using chlorine. You might aswell dip your kit in the swimming pool if you want chlorine on it.....
Yes but sterilising stuff isn't full of piss, toe nails, plasters, clumps of hair and dead fauna etc etc!!!

I can confirm I was exceptionally glad to be wearing an FFM at the last pool sessions I went to - eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyuk!!!

·
This is my happy face!!
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As for bugs, what 'kin bugs? Are you a rough tough diver or not? You'll look even harder if your lips have rotted away like mine.

F*ck*ing bugs indeed ................. that's girly thinking that is!!! :):):):)
I'll try and butch up in future. :embarassed:

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Ultrasonoic bath.

You can buy these for as little as £20, but Maplin do a nice one for £39.
Chuck it all in and zap for 30 secs. Clean as anything.

Very good for hose/drysuit nipples etc. gets all that salt out.

·
23,946 Posts
Ultrasonoic bath.

You can buy these for as little as £20, but Maplin do a nice one for £39.
Chuck it all in and zap for 30 secs. Clean as anything.

Very good for hose/drysuit nipples etc. gets all that salt out.
OK for de-crudding but not too good at bug mangling .......... unless they live on the crud ............. the other bugs are fine??

:)

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
Yes but sterilising stuff isn't full of piss, toe nails, plasters, clumps of hair and dead fauna etc etc!!!

I can confirm I was exceptionally glad to be wearing an FFM at the last pool sessions I went to -
the pool looks very diffrent when wearing scuba gear - you have more time to see what is there..... not nice

David

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
I've never de-bugged my own scuba gear and never caught anything nasty but then I am Spartacus and very hard. A nice swill with the hose pipe does the trick.

Actually, I never sterilized my babies' bottles either and two boys are now strapping men with good immune systems. You don't dip your nipples in milton so why dip rubber teats in the stuff? Oh I'm rambling here. Turning into Finless... we were prolly separated at birth or summat.

I will admit to washing my wetsuit and boots (and punters' suits &boots) in disinfectant but that was because we had weed in them and they were smelly.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Dove off sunny South shields last week and ended up chewing a many legged beastie at 24m, stupid thing was it sat there for over 20 minutes before it decided to come visit. As for the milton I cant see a problem....weve cleaned fire service Breathing Apparatus with this and similar for years without issue, but in all hoesty mine have had nowt than a quick hosing!

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts

·
23,946 Posts
You don't dip your nipples in milton so why dip rubber teats in the stuff?
No, not mine, but lady nipples in wine ............ or chocolate ............. or jam ................. or lager ...................... or ..................... :drool:

It's a good thing I'm only thinking this and not typing it out!
:teeth:

Oh I'm rambling here. Turning into Finless... we were prolly separated at birth or summat.
No need to say it as if it's a bad thing! :frown:

:):):)

·
WHOO HOO...look free mask and smorkel thingy.....
1,647 Posts
firstly chlorine is bad for scuba gear use it only a few times when cleaning out bladder in wing etc.otherwise use vinegar and water and if in real bad need a sonic bath is just the ticket.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts