YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Maltese Pea Cake
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can I expect to pay to have my Apex reg. set (1st, 2nd, octo) serviced to continue use with EAN to 40% please? And is it true they usually come back needing further attention?
Cheers.

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
Nicholas

As you are based in London, I would strongly suggest you take them to Jim @ Amphibian in South Norwood. No idea on price, but his servicing is spot on. - London Dive Shop

A lot of people are of the mindset "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". However, some shops 'servicing' leaves a lot to be desired:( There are plenty of horror stories on here.
A small adjustment to the IP (intermediate pressure - from the first stage) is sometimes needed after a couple of dives as the new parts 'bed in'. Generally, a decent shop will re-adjust regs they have serviced after a couple of dives, if necessary.

Actually, found the following on the Amphibian site regarding pricing.....
Regulator servicing - 1st and 2nd stage inc oct and gauges £40.00 (parts not included. We cover all makes. Price for parts depends on models/makes)

·
The Maltese Pea Cake
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nicholas

As you are based in London, I would strongly suggest you take them to Jim @ Amphibian in South Norwood. No idea on price, but his servicing is spot on. - London Dive Shop

A lot of people are of the mindset "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". However, some shops 'servicing' leaves a lot to be desired:( There are plenty of horror stories on here.
A small adjustment to the IP (intermediate pressure - from the first stage) is sometimes needed after a couple of dives as the new parts 'bed in'. Generally, a decent shop will re-adjust regs they have serviced after a couple of dives, if necessary.

Actually, found the following on the Amphibian site regarding pricing.....
Thanks, I actually heard more than one person speak well of Amphibian....and sounds a reasonable price too.
Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
The tweak of 1st stage following bedding in also results in both seconds needing adjustment - just mention it so that cost expectations can be factored in although many places will tweak for free after the bedding in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As an experienced tech I can tell you that very few regs should need to come back in for a 'tweek' after they've been serviced. f the job is done right the seats are bedded in during testing after the service and tolerences left to allow for any further bedding in.

In practice most regs that come back in following a service have probably just been somewhere like Egypt for a week and are full of sand, salt and oxide powder from the inside of the the cylinders.

Find a good tech and you shouldn't have any problems. That said, all centres should check the reg over foc if there is a problem after service.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
Find a good tech and you shouldn't have any problems. ...
That's the issue - there are (or at least used to be) a lot of not so good ones. The problem is speed/laziness IMO and the failure to cycle the reg a few times after the new seats are fitted - works OK in the shop then after a dive it gives problems because it has been bedded in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts