YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Blue Peter Diver
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully my last question for a week or so - going tomorrow morning
Opinions on the safest place to pack these. We are each taking an oceanic cargo bag. Its a big holdall type bag. Will the regs be safe packed in this bag (they will be in a reg bag inside the bag). Or should I take them as hand luggage????
Thanks

:star: :star:

·
Tek & RB Instructor: fluent in 'Franglaise'
1,028 Posts
cheryl t said:
Hopefully my last question for a week or so - going tomorrow morning
Opinions on the safest place to pack these. We are each taking an oceanic cargo bag. Its a big holdall type bag. Will the regs be safe packed in this bag (they will be in a reg bag inside the bag). Or should I take them as hand luggage????
Thanks

:star: :star:
Hi Cheryl,

I used to hand carry my regs, but now put all my stuff in Peli cases.

My advice is that if your holdall is soft, not rigid, I would err on the side of caution and carry it on.

Cheers

Dave Cooper

·
Registered
32 Posts
personally, i'd take them hand luggage. it'll free up an more weight than you'd expect from your allowance

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
I pack mine in a soft cargo bag but ensure they are well wrapped in my wetsuit and have rigid stuff (such as fins) around them for protection. Never had a problem yet. Doesn't guarantee it, though. There's certainly no problems from hold pressure or anything like that - it's just the baggage handlers that you need to be worried about!

·
Blue Peter Diver
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
REgs

Thanks everyone - its the baggage handlers that I am worried about. Will have to see how creative I can be with my packing as to be honest, I really don't fancy having them in hand luggage, I carry enough in that as it is.

D

·
0 Posts
I carry my regs in a reg bag and take them as hand luggage. Again because I don't have a lot of faith in the baggage handlers.

Have experienced problems both at Heathrow and Sri Lanka Airports, where we have gone through the x-ray machine and have had to open the reg bags to show them inside. The guy in Sri Lanka told us in broken English that it resembled some sort of device....

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Carry on.

If you loose your main baggage least you have some of your kit and probably most important with you.

I also carry on my computer, mask and a few other bits.

·
Banned
765 Posts
Decodiver said:
<snip>

My advice is that if your holdall is soft, not rigid, I would err on the side of caution and carry it on.

</snip>
as above...
i have a hard case which on my way back after xmas came to me broken....no damage to the things inside but nevertheless something heavy got chucked on top of it for it to break..now is it had been a soft case i'm sure i would be most upset as i had some fragile stuff in it....so i wouldnt trust the stuff that keeps me alive in the big drink to be inside a soft case.

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Planes

I take my regs and dive computer as hand luggage in a rucksack.

I am very protective about this kit. Trying to remove my bcd or wet suit from my packing would be very hard and less traumatic if lost/damaged.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
gunsentry said:
Carry on.

If you loose your main baggage least you have some of your kit and probably most important with you.

I also carry on my computer, mask and a few other bits.
Yep, me too.....I like to know that my regs are safe and sound, likewise with my puter.....they are after all my 'safety equipment'....

Last time we checked in my hand luggage was 8kgs....oppppsssss. This didn't include the separate bag containing the camera, housing, strobe etc, etc. Managed to get away with it though due to telling the check in operator that the gauge attached to the regs couldn't go in the hold ;)

Scubachick

·
Nefarious Activist
2,298 Posts
There are lots of us who carry cameras/housings as hand luggage, this means that regs end up in hold baggage, so far no probs for me. After all, regs aren't made of glass, just wrap them appropriately.

Ian

·
Registered
721 Posts
I always carry, regs, computor and compass in a reg bag as hand luggage, always get stopped and asked to open the bag but know they havent been wrecked or stolen.

Have a good holiday.

John

·
Tek & RB Instructor: fluent in 'Franglaise'
1,028 Posts
SCUBA Chick said:
Last time we checked in my hand luggage was 8kgs....oppppsssss.
I flew to the Solomon Islands in October via LA, Auckland and Brisbane and got away with 18 kilos of hand luggage and 96 kilos in the hold.

Cheers

Dave Cooper

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
John Hulme said:
always get stopped and asked to open the bag
Sounds familiar...maybe we have that guilty look ;)

Scubachick

Reactions: DVR

·
Never bent, often twisted
2,481 Posts
Always hand luggage, it's fun to watch the security personel scruitanising the x-ray image :D

·
Blue Peter Diver
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
REgs

Thanks everyone - head up arse syndrome is in full swing.
Looks like its hand luggage, especially as both our bags are at the limit and that doesn't include all (only some) our clothes yet.

See you all in just over a weeks time

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
cheryl,
remember that anything you wear onto the plane is free weight, I tend to wear my coat, over my lightweight coat over all my cold weather clothes onto the plane, and I then put anything small and relatively heavy in the pockets of the coat (things like shampoo etc) last time the wife and I flew to sharm our hold luggage weighed 30 KG's between us! (and we both took full dive kit!)
Simon A

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
My hand luggage allowance is taken up by my photographic equipment and clothes, so everything else has to go in my (soft) dive bag. My regs go inside my wetsuit, with my fins at the sides for extra protection. I must have done about 40 trips abroad, all over the world, and have never had anything stolen or damaged. Regs are not particularly fragile. I'm more worried about my torches getting broken.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
I take mine with me on hand luggage. As a tip use cable ties to tie the zipper for safety. Some countries don't like locks, cable ties although nowhere foolproof it avoids 'slippery' fingers touching in the bag.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts