YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mmmmmmmm
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Hoping the YD collective can help me (again)...
I am going to Marsa in a couple of weeks (Coral Sea Divers Hotel & Emperor - I'll do a trip report when I return!), and this will be the first time I have traveled with my own kit, so the question is 'Can I put my regs in my hand luggage, or do they have to go in the hold?'

I am scared of getting to security and them saying I cannot take them for some reason.

Thanks all,

Daniel.

G

·
You can take Regs in hand luggage, but be aware that hand luggage is now sometimes weighed by the airline, so you may be charged if you have excess weight

Corinne

·
Flaccid Member
5,410 Posts
Regs in hand luggage?

I do and have had no troubles, security are very use to seeing regs in hand luggage.
There's nothing to worry aboat :thumbsup:

·
Team Erectus Domini Co-Founder
400 Posts
Just remember not to put your dive computer in the hold, that one has to be hand luggage!!

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
'Can I put my regs in my hand luggage, or do they have to go in the hold?'
Erk?
I'm worried enough by some idiot dropping their duty frees on my head in the cabin without adding a set of regs.

My regs, and all the other mission critical bits, travel safely wrapped up in my suit in my checked bags.

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Erk?
I'm worried enough by some idiot dropping their duty frees on my head in the cabin without adding a set of regs.

My regs, and all the other mission critical bits, travel safely wrapped up in my suit in my checked bags.
Im with you on that, in fact it is always posable all your kit goes missing in one go, way home best, and if you are properly covered its all replaced, very nice thank you.

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
Why?

That is an old wives tale, holds are also pressurized.
Completely agree Bob. Its complete myth....I am an aircraft engineer and the pressure in the cabin is the same as the hold. You only have about 6mm of flooring between you and the hold. There are vents all around so the pressure stays the same...Basically, the only part of the aircraft that isn't pressurised is the tail area aft of the pressure bulkhead....

You have more danger of the loadies throwing your bags about and breaking your gear!.....

Steve

·
Registered
267 Posts
We flew from Liverpool to Spain and had to take our regs out of hand luggage as they posed a possible "restraint threat". I queried if belts did not pose the threat, but did not receive a satisfactory answer.
Jim.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Didn't have any problems taking my regs as hand luggage. Also haven't heard of any of the other divers I know having had a problem with regs. Also met a couple of divers in Sharm recently who had taken their backplates from their wings on as hand luggage which completely baffled me with all the stuff we're not allowed to take on. I'm not sure who i'd be more scared of, a guy wielding a steel back plate or a bloke wielding a vicious pair of tweezers.

·
Team Erectus Domini Co-Founder
400 Posts
Completely agree Bob. Its complete myth....I am an aircraft engineer and the pressure in the cabin is the same as the hold. You only have about 6mm of flooring between you and the hold. There are vents all around so the pressure stays the same...Basically, the only part of the aircraft that isn't pressurised is the tail area aft of the pressure bulkhead....

You have more danger of the loadies throwing your bags about and breaking your gear!.....

Steve

Really?

Strange that I was still taught not to do this not too long since.
Sorry for hijacking the thread but if this has been true for quite a while why is it still being taught to newbies when they are first learning to dive?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts