YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be loosing more than my fair share of buddies.

Deepstop Blog

Nothing exciting really, rubbish visibility, three shore dives on Scottish Sea lochs, one lost buddy, over weight (not pie eating), flat torch battery and a valve not turned on.

Move along now.

Davie.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
It takes discipline from all divers to remain together in poor vis ........ for everyone to see anything (esp on a wall or wreck) it usually means finning in single file and a moment is all that's needed. I find that, if I'm in front, looking back along my stomach between my fins is the simplest way to check behind.

Of course, extra signals using your dive lights helps .......... I know DIR use a lot more than you learn through PADI (and presumably BSAC) but I don't know if they are readily available for others to learn without doing a DIR course?

For most of us it is 'learn through experience'.

Over weighted ......... well that takes some dives (or pool sessions to work out).

Leaking at the first stage O ring ........... was that not discernable when turning the gas on when kitting up?

Anyway, learning from the problems is what makes all better divers than we were.

·
23,946 Posts
The following extract is from the Halcyon web site (Halcyon: Primary Lighting Systems) :-

Light signals can be an important means of communication because they work in a variety of situations and are especially effective in gaining a team member's attention. In dark surroundings, individuals can easily communicate with their lights over large distances. Even in close quarters light signals may be preferable, especially if divers are not facing one another. Many open water divers are starting to realize how lights can simplify communication and enrich a dive. Divers frequently use light signals over hand signals because they are:

• Easy to see
  • More efficient to use
  • Effective at much greater distances
DIR Tips courtesy of Global Underwater

Reactions: B

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Oh bless you Davie.... I thought the Scottish Lochs were lovely and clear...

Some days a dive just goes pear shaped, just the way it is, all experience eh... lol.... get home and do some studying (says she who should be doing exactly that but ... lol)

Finless, that is a really good tip.. do you know of any and what they mean (light signals that is)

B x

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
One thing to bear in mind is that people must be looking for the light signals which means you must be paying attention to where they are. When I dive with someone who doesn't use light signals all the time, it does become frustrating as you do become 'reliant' on the light being there.

The main point is that the light is used passively, if I am leading and I can see your light beam all the time, then I know you are there. If the light isn't there for more than 5-10 secs then I assume something is wrong and then I signal to you , "Are you okay?", you reply "okay", if no reply is received, then I signal again, if no reply then I turn around and see what is wrong. If the No 2 is not watching the lead, or where they are pointing their light, then it becomes a nugatory exercise as lead is constantly trying to work out where No 2 is. It does take lots of practice but it is an excellent way of remaining in contact without physically watching where your buddy is.

The common light signals used are:

Circle - okay. This is sent as a command and replied straight away. No reply, means that something is not right so signal again as above. No reply again, then turn around/look to investigate what is wrong.

Slowly side-to-side - I need your attention but it is not life threatening. Buddy stops what they are doing and joins you to resolve the issue.

Fast side-to-side - I need your attention now as there is something seriously wrong such as OOA or entanglement. Buddy immediately swims over to buddy ready to donate.

Slowly back and forward in a direction to swim as if marking a line in the sand/on the bottom - This is the direction we are going to swim in. Useful if there is a 'discussion' about where to go next.

Thats about all the light signals that I can think of, the rest of the communication can be done by hand or wetnotes once you are next to each other in the water.

However, the most important one is the one detailed at the start, make sure your lead can see your light. If not, you are missing the most useful part of light communications.

HTH

·
now with added miflex/ milf-flex
1,033 Posts
your lucky i have a job to keep dive partners away from banging into me

some buddies just fin away with there faces glued to a camera or follow a

fish,look round and there on there own,

if each person dedicates there time to looking out for there dive partner then

it might be easy to stay together

i found side by side formation good as long as the finning speed stays the same

fail that put a dog lead on them

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
Dive solo no problem :)

Reactions: Finless

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Nick, Is that speaking from experience? :)

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
have you done your weight check with empty tanks yet?

We had a similar thing tuesday night at the caves, 2 seem to stick together and one disappears (not me this time). even finning in single file with 3 torches was not much use.

Personally id rather not dive than dive as a 3, i know some agencies train as a 3, but 3 random sport, advanced etc divers who dont dive together on a regular basis, who dont know instinctivly where the others are seems to be asking for one to go missing, especially in the 1metre or less viz we are having just now.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Side by side works so much better for most divers, and in poor viz torches unless they are very good ones (Read also very expensive ones) are only of use for signaling when pointing at each other.

Diving as an unfamiliar trio in poor viz is just 3 solo divers waiting to happen, as soon as you notice 1 missing by the time you look around you will probably have lost the other one.

·
23,946 Posts
Side by side works so much better for most divers, and in poor viz torches unless they are very good ones (Read also very expensive ones) are only of use for signaling when pointing at each other.
Yeah but the outside diver gets to see f/all?

I still prefer solo where I can concentrate on me all the time ......... of course, any mistakes may be fatal so I don't make any ............ hmm, I might have missed an M from the beginning of one word? :)

·
tell it like it is
283 Posts
i dive as a three back & forth.
ifi do i generally lead the dive & the other 2 buddy up.
i find this works as long as they are following & working as a buddy team.
ohh hell, just reaslise im solo diving :)

good blog davie as ever.
every dive is an education, you learn more from these type than you do from the non eventfull ones.:)

·
Na it can't be that deep
283 Posts
What's the point of diving with a buddy if you cant lose him occasionally :embarassed:

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Yeah but the outside diver gets to see f/all?
What outside diver? we swim/rummage over and across wrecks, no swimming around the outside for us :) Each gets to see their fair share :)

·
iron chief
1,470 Posts
Torch signals

I think torch signals are a great way of communicating with a buddy. Even in poor viz. My cheap "Dr4r HiD" dive torch has saved me lossing my buddy.. As long as both are aware what a signal means it can help a great deal..

Rob

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jim Shaw said:
Have you thought about washing your underarms a bit more..... ;)
coming from the bloke that sent me a txt message earlier of questionable origin I take that as a compliment.

Jim does everybody know what you've been doing today?

Davie.

J

·
0 Posts
eeerrrrrrrrr, no , and I don't want them to either :embarassed:

[ walks off talking quietly to himself like Dick Dastardly ] :D

coming from the bloke that sent me a txt message earlier of questionable origin I take that as a compliment.

Jim does everybody know what you've been doing today?

Davie.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts