YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all

3 years ago i bought a Mares Abyss Reg and dived in the caribbean with it.  It was thoroughly cleaned/dried/stored, until now.  Due to work, I haven't dived since then, but in a few months I am off to the Red Sea for a well earned break  

Do you feel I should get it serviced before I go?  I reckon it will be fine, but what is your opinions?

Thanks in advance

Busty

·
Registered
320 Posts
Imported post

Hi Busty,

As far as I'm aware your supposed to get it serviced every year.  Personally I would definitely have it done and have any other kit looked at e.g. BC just for peace of mind.

Cheers

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Imported post

Busty, Ian's right - service every year for sure, or every 100 (i think??) dives, whichever comes first.

You might be right, it might be fine, but when it's the only thing between you and  
at the bottom of the sea "might" doesn't cut it. (and no your buddy's reg is not enough, cos bet yer arse if your's gives out it's when buddy boy is nowhere to be seen  
 )

Have e good trip!
Dave.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Given that service stations aren't infallible (to put it kindly) I'd say only get it serviced if (a) you know a place with a good rep for servicing regs, and (b) you'll be able to try it out before you go on holiday.

Nothing worse than handing over cash, taking your newly-serviced reg on holiday, hearing that nasty hissing noise on the first day, and sucking frantically at a regulator you suspect came out of a Hoover for the rest of the holiday because the monkey at the dive shop did a lousy job.

Given that you've got a few months, you should have no problem getting them serviced & tested, so I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Hi all

Thanks for the advice.  Have decided to put it in for a service.  Better safe than sorry  

Cheers again peeps

Busty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts