YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Went for a dive today and as I was entering the water (10 C) I purged my apex reg ATX40 but it continued to purge after removing my finger from the botton, I tried pushing the Botton on off again and finally managed to stop it by moving the airflow lever but not before losing 30 bar of air!
My equipment is only about four months old and I always hose down my equipment with freshwater and leave to soak for 24 hours.
I was wondering if anybody had any ideas why this happened and how to prevent it?
Thanks/Steve

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Was the regulator in water or out?

It might need a quick look at just to make sure all is in order, although I have seen other regs do this occasionally and a quick tap against the mouth piece to cover the hole usually stops it.

Also in water try turning it mouthpiece downwards.

Finally at this time of year I would not recommend purging before enter the water anyway as it can cause a freeze up on the second stage and lead to exactly what you describe.  Better to check it by breathing it just under the surface or even a brief breath before entry.

Daz

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Can happen to anyone the way you describe but ATX 40s are quite sensative, I have a few.

Leave the "cracking resistance" lever on minus until you dive and then turn it to plus if you prefer a light breath. There is very little difference to us, but it does matter to the regs diaphram.

James

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I have the same reg Torbaydiver, This is not uncommon as James has just said. It used to happen with the Scubapro regs we had in training. Just do as James said. I've had no problems with my reg since I bought it a year and 40 dives ago. In the shop the assistant said that with the diaphram set to Plus it would continue to flow if purged but just putting a forefinger over or near to the mouth peice hole stops it. I leave my lever on Minus most of the time and I've never had any problems, it supplies loads of air if you need it.

Safe Diving,

Dave C

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Umm.. a properly set up Apeks reg will freeflow if it's set to its easiest breathing and you hit the purge. It's actually set in the manual that if you CAN'T make it freeflow by doing this, you've done something wrong.

The simplest way to stop it is to put it in your mouth. Sliding the venturi lever will also do it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with your regs.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Dominic has summed it up perfectly. Just to add a little more, do not purge your regs, breathe them. When very cold breathe them gently or that could trigger a freeflow.

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Ok, that's it.

If we are going to get all "techi" then you should not breath your regs above water if very cold. If you want to test them prior to the dive you should leave them in the water to aclimatise a bit as it is ofter warmer in there than the equivalent wind chill factor out of water and test them as submerged as possible. When you test them, you should exhale first to give the heat exchanger an opertunity to get to work and you should be calm and steady as the drop in preasure through both first stage (major) and second stage (minor) will add to the exothermic reaction.

Don't you just hate it when it goes all scientific?

James

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>I was going to mention breathing them in water but I had visions of newer divers leaping off a boat with no reg in and quoting me.

You are of course quite right but to all the less experinced divers, please keep your reg in your gob.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts