YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

So I was advised today to change my regulator configuration, which is as it was when i bought it (2nd hand), so had no reason to believe it might be incorrect. But Id be interested in peoples view?

So from my regulator currently both 1st Stage and Octopus are set to come around my right hand side. With my SPG hose, drysuit and BCD hose to my left hand side.

I was advised to split the 1st stage and Octopus to be in opposite sides.

I dont mind changing this around if this is the norm' and if indeed it would be simpler if its a standard and people know what to expect if they ever would need to reach for my Octopus. Of course as it stands i always inform the dive buddy during checks where the hoses are.

Any thoughts?

·
Sorry for being a dick
1,756 Posts
Some people do it that way with the different regs coming off different sides but most have them how yours are set up currently. Perhaps it's a BSAC thing.

If you are happy with it like it is, don't change it.

·
aka j_b
862 Posts
Sounds like a "normal" setup to me. It's certainly the set up I learnt.
Did the person suggesting a change of setup sport a rather fetching beard perchance? ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yep the setup you currently have is the way I dive mine too. Go with whatever feels better for you. I don't think I'd be comfortable to alter mine now after so long, it would seem alien.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Isn't the argument for routing the octopus on the left is that when it's presented to your buddy in an OOA situation the reg's already the "right way up", rather than having to curve the hose around?
That said, where's best to position the OOA diver, who may be a bit "clingy" in the heat of the moment; on your left arm, or on your right?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

·
All we wanted was a home... Manics
4,553 Posts
I'd agree with this. routing occy from your left means the reg is the right way around for your buddy. From the right it is awkward IMO
Isn't the argument for routing the octopus on the left is that when it's presented to your buddy in an OOA situation the reg's already the "right way up", rather than having to curve the hose around?
That said, where's best to position the OOA diver, who may be a bit "clingy" in the heat of the moment; on your left arm, or on your right?

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Left arm or right arm? It depends...

Buddy should be on the same side as your hose. So for me, with my main reg coming over my right shoulder, and an octopus under my left armpit, I would want my buddy to be on the left so that the hose isn't bent back on itself. If I had my regulator configured on the other side then I would put my out of air buddy on that side too.

To the Original Poster - try it and see what works for you. If you have access to a pool, then swap them around, have a play. Perhaps even lend your regs to a buddy and see what it's like to take them in an out of air situation.

Janos

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
I like to keep them about 7' away... :)
Fine if you only ascend face to face in quarries, but I prefer to look after my buddies a little bit better than that.

Janos

·
Registered
28 Posts
Agreed, but with a normal 'shop brought" hose won't they be hanging on your left arm, when you're then looking to control buoyancy for two with, usually, your BCD controls on that side as well?

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Agreed, but with a normal 'shop brought" hose won't they be hanging on your left arm, when you're then looking to control buoyancy for two with, usually, your BCD controls on that side as well?
A fair point. Howeve I'd argue that you're not really cotrolling buoyancy for two, as the Out Of Gas (OOG) diver won't be incapacitated - just out of gas. So they should be able to dump little bits of gas from their BC on the ascent without the need for your intervention.

I'm comfortable dumping gas from my BC with either hand. However, the thing to do is practice and try it for yourself and see what you prefer. I've just spent the weekend doing just that!

Janos

·
Sort of member - perhaps, possibly, maybe
3,276 Posts
I use Oceanic Omega 2s which,because they're omni-directional do not have an "upside down". I'll probably replace them with the "3) or its Jollis equivalent shortly, But then, I also dive a king hose anyway so the ppint is moot, there's plenty of room on a long hose to kink it if necessary.

·
Maybe those Mayans had something after all .....
91 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the thoughts guys. My octopus has a swivel head so I don't struggle with twisting a hose. I think i'd like to keep the set up as simple as possible. This is certainly the set up I originally did my PADI OW abroad a couple of years ago. I don't think its a BSAC specific recommendation, more so just someone expressing their preferences. With what you have all said, i'll practice in the pool to be sure im comfortable with my current set up and leave it as is.

Cheers again :)

·
Still young enough to know everything
4,001 Posts
If it's a standard length octopus hose (90cm) and a right handed second stage then please, change it to come off the left of the first stage, it makes it so much nicer for someone sharing gas with you rather than having to make the hose do a 180 degree bend at the connection to the second stage. It does seem to be more of a BSAC than a PADI thing to have it like this but it really is better.

·
Karlos or Karl
1,001 Posts
The other reason you carry an alt air source is for you! From your right hand side it is in the correct position for you should you need it.

In over 20 years of diving I have never (touch wood) needed to donate in anger but have switched regs myself due to faults developing with my primary 2nd stage - wet breathing, mouthpiece breaking etc a number of times.

Also when you are donating (presenting reg) if you grab the hose and present with your right hand (most of us are right handed) the reg will be correct for the receiver. Also if they are taking (again most are right handed) they are more likely to grab this way.

A stressed diver will revert to training, avoid making it too different.

If the receiver is on your left they are likely to have hold of your left of BCD or you are holding with your left arm - this will limit your ability to dump your BCD or lift your arm for drysuit dump. If you try holding with your right arm but left hose the hose will be shorter and the stressed potentially panicked diver is right in front of you - not where you want them!

Last note on the receiver being switched on enough to dump their BCD - if task loaded this is likely to get forgotten and they will be dragging you up! Be ready to dump their BCD and suit!

Good luck,

Karl

·
Sort of member - perhaps, possibly, maybe
3,276 Posts
This is now going way beyond the original scope of the OP's question.

Is this entirely necessary?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.