YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I'm in the mood for a new regulator methinks. I've been using my Apeks TX40D for a good few years now (probably 12 to 14 or so) and decided that jaw-ache should bite (hehe) the dust.
Last time I was at Vyvian, I noticed they had the new tiny Scubapro regs in stock (S550 I think, with an MK25 1st stage) which seemed rather nice, and had virtually no weight.
Any feedback?
I do love my Apeks (and I know the new ATX is small, but by golly the S550 is miniature).

·
Banned
217 Posts
Imported post

you should address the symptoms rather than the cure. Badly fitting mouthpieces can contribute to Temporo-Mandibular Joint fatigue or jaw ache to the layman. This is common if your orthodontic shape doesn't match the mouth piece. I use the ATX and a specially shaped mouth piece and the jaw pain disappeared. It's not worth forking out cash for a whole new reg to find the same problem. Check out the ortho mouthpieces first and see if they help.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Imported post

My wife had the same problem (jaw ache) it disapeared after she had a special dental mouthpiece fitted, she had to dip it in to hot water and bite on it until it took the form of her mouth!

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Eddie on 5:39 pm on Mar. 2, 2002
she had to dip it in to hot water and bite on it until it took the form of her mouth!
<span =''>
Bet that brought tears to your eyes, mate!! Making my eyes water just thinking about it.

Regards

·
Registered
275 Posts
Imported post

Ouch... somehow I just knew I wouldn't get away with that! some one was bound to comment on it.... :moon2:

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

I know this sounds daft but most people don't realise it.One of the major causes of jaw ache is your hood.I was on a job for 6 months in the canal at Knottingley,next to the baths virtually.It was in winter and really cold so we started wearing scuba hoods under the bandmasks for warnmth.Even with a 2mm hood after several hours we all started to get really severe pain in the jaw,it was narrowed down to the hoods (we'd actually been told this by the supervisor initially but we just would'nt have it!)I'd never experienced this on scuba,perhaps as we did'nt stay down that long but it's worth bearing in mind.It was actually worse with my own made to measure(some other bugger)ND 8mm hood.Regards,Hobby.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts