YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

just had ACL reconstruction (4-5 weeks ago) and was wonedring if anyone had any advice on rehab.

I have just started going to a Physio and unfortunately my left leg is so weak I can't even lift off the examination table when lying on my back.
Also have a lot of swelling.

Obviously can't go diving as I have been told that I can't even swin at this stage.

Anyone had this experience and how long did it take to get to a position where you can dive? I'm fairly inexperienced so I wouldn't be doing any extreen dives anyway.

Ant advice gratefully accepted.

thanks

·
Tinkering and a plethora of other pursuits...
881 Posts
Best speak to the surgeon who did the op and the physio will be able to comment on your recovery of strength and function: progress here this will be the best indicator of 'how long' it will take. Everyone heals differently and gradually building strength in the leg muscles is the way to go. Don't be too keen to push it!

Good luck with the recovery,
S.

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Not exactly what you have had but i' ve just done my first dive after having a slipped disc op.

The best piece of advice I got was - don't rush back the Ocean will still be there waiting for you when you are ready.

It did make me stop and think that I didn't want to do long term damage just for the sake of getting wet.

Given I saw a sunfish on my first dive back - the wait till I was ready was annoying but worthwhile. :)

Hope it goes well for you.

Snash.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Can't point you at any websites etc, but it took me about 4 months before I could do a nervous little dive again, and then another month after that until I was really happy and painfree when finning.

I started physio the first week after the op and was doing the exercises several times a day, every day, and I still have to stretch every day. Nearly 7 months on and I do not have full strength in the leg - the muscles waste so very quickly but take forever and a day to come back. I still have pain on occasion, and my proprieception is not perfect by any means.

All I can say is take it easy, but do all the lifts and stretches you are told to, as and when you can. The programme you may get set seems really, really, slow between 3 and 6 months and it gets frustrating, but once you can get into the gym and work on a bit more equipment each time at least there is some change to the monotony of it all!

On the plus side, I don't know about you, but even though I couldn't do anything with it, the op made me far more stable from the first time I stood, a few hours after the op! Don't really regret it for a second.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Do the physio!

Do what the physio says and do more of it. I didn't and I'm still limping 3 years later. I also started diving again before I was supposed to. It's not so much the diving it's the getting in and out of tyhe water, clambering over rocks etc in kit that can do the damage.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I'll second Lou!

It took me weeks/months to build the strenght back up (starting with physio from week 1) I was back driving again in 4 weeks (there being no hard and fast rule - my surgeon advised me to try doing an emergency stop with the car stationary. If it wasn't too sore and I could be certain that I could safely do it if needed then I was OK to drive again). And swimming at 6 weeks but as Lou says everyone is individual. Do your exercises - they are a pain but worth it in the long term.

In terms of getting diving again I did a couple of gentle potters from 3 months and went on a liveaboard after 4 months. Gentle finning was fine.

I'm now 3 years post-op and absolutely fine with no noticable difference in strenght however I do still need to be careful. I pulled it a couple of weeks ago doing yoga and it ached for 3-4 days. However all the exercises were definately worth it with no more unpredictable giving way.

Now I just need to be bubblefree and then I can go diving again too! :teeth:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.