YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Would the world be a better place without religion?

• Yes.

Votes: 61 68.5%
  • No.

Votes: 28 31.5%
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apart from holidays, what good has religion ever done for human kind? Oh ..... maybe the 10 commandments ........ although the one about coveting and neighbours arse is a bit difficult. :):)

I suppose the obvious defence is that it isn't the religion itself that's to blame but rather the people who interpret it ...... incorrectly or to their own ends?

I suspect that more harm and pain and suffering has been done in the name of religion than anything else.

If there is a God then I hope all these fanatics get a good spanking when they are up for divine judgement.

Is religion just a single answer to all the impossible to answer questions?

The poll is pretty simple, just answer yes or no.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Have no problem with people being devoutly religious...as long that is sufficient to make them happy. My truck is with those for whom being devoutly religious isn't enough - they have to force their beliefs on everyone else as well. I don't just mean those who act in the name of Islam, but also the Mormons, Evangelical Christians, the Alpha cult..........

Oh and before anyone asks, I voted no. Religion has a place in the world, just that place should be hidden away inside of each of us. Our beliefs, not those of the religious leaders.

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Perhaps the issue is whether the world would be a better place without all the crap committed in the name of religion. Most 'mainstream' religions advocate peace and life before death. I voted no. My own belief comforted me in a dark hole at a dark time. But like sidthejedi says, I would hope not to ram my beliefs down other people's throats. It's personal to me.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Buoyant Babe said:
Perhaps the issue is whether the world would be a better place without all the crap committed in the name of religion. Most 'mainstream' religions advocate peace and life before death. I voted no. My own belief comforted me in dark hole at a dark time. But like sidthejedi says, I would hope not to ram my beliefs down other people's throats. It's personal to me.
Echo what BB & Sith say, I voted No, I'm not religious per say but I know a lot of normal folks derive great comfort from it

·
Hmmm
2,744 Posts
The world would not be a better place without religion. It would be just the same. Remember that it wasn't God but people that came up with religion so how could it be different?

Religion on the whole is a 'Good Thing' (tm), as you said, it's the extremists that spoil it for everyone else.

There is one aspect of religion that we could do without and that's summed up perfectly by the Arabic word inshalla meaning if god wills it. It absolves any personal responsibility i.e. if an airplane technician decides that the plane will crash 'inshalla' then he can go and have a *** rather than get his overalls dirty. I know that's a simplistic example but you'll get my drift inshalla.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
I'm an atheist but I firmly believe that relgion itself is good and certainly help to advance man (as has war).

What isn't good is religious bigotry and hijack.

·
For some bizarre reason....
6,296 Posts
I met someone who was officially a Jedi.

Yes, he had it on all his official documents to prove it.

Now there's a religeon for you, peace and harmony to all ...... unless of course you happen to be a Sith.

hey ho,

Paul

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
religion as i understand it comes fom a basic need to believe that there is some higher power guiding our destiny. In the old days we knew no better, people need to have something to focus on to understand they're 'universe' and so belief in a religion was the way forward and those at the top of those religions chose how their believers interpreted those beliefs, think crusades and jihads.

Now days belief in religion appears to be dropping off porbably from the advances of science to show often how its not a supreme power guiding our lives but physics and biology.

It is evident, from the way that some religions have to change they're stances on certain issues as science advances but science hasn't ever changed its stance because religion has proved it wrong, that science will become the new religion and religion will become more fundamentalist in its nature.

Has religion ever given us anything that humans couldn't of done themselves, in my opinion NO.

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
Religion has given us both the jumble sale and coffee mornings. We may have developed them without religion but without churches to have them in then they just wouldn't be the same. Personally, I think the coffee & walnut sponge is christianity's greatest contribution to the modern world. The tombola is a close second. On the other hand, it has also given us Cliff Richard and Songs of Praise (a bad thing because it is the universal trigger for maniacal women to start ironing).

RE lessons at school gave us (OK, maybe just me) a forum for the discussion of female anatomy, kung fu and world war 2 battleships (got to admire RE teachers, they keep going even though they know no-one is listening). If you happened to be at a Catholic school in Glasgow in the 70's then you would probably have gotten hands on experience of male anatomy too, dependant on whether or not the priest was taking the lessons. In the latter case, detention was not advised.

I like religion. It gives me another group of people to be rude to when they come round the doors. I'm also strangely attracted to nuns.

Reactions: Buoyant Babe

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SoggyFox said:
Has religion ever given us anything that humans couldn't of done themselves, in my opinion NO.
Welll ........ indirectly ......... we got The Life of Brian":-

Scene 9

The commandos

FRANCIS: We're gettin' in through the underground heating system here, up through into the main audience chamber here, and Pilate's wife's bedroom is here. Having grabbed his wife, we inform Pilate that she is in our custody and forthwith issue our demands. Any questions? COMMANDO XERXES: What exactly are the demands? REG: We're giving Pilate two days to dismantle the entire apparatus of the Roman Imperialist State, and if he doesn't agree immediately, we execute her. MATTHIAS: Cut her head off? FRANCIS: Cut all her bits off. Send 'em back on the hour every hour. Show them we're not to be trifled with. REG: And of course, we point out that they bear full responsibility when we chop her up, and that we shall not submit to blackmail! COMMANDOS: No blackmail! REG: They've bled us white, the bastards. They've taken everything we had, and not just from us, from our fathers, and from our fathers' fathers. LORETTA: And from our fathers' fathers' fathers. REG: Yeah. LORETTA: And from our fathers' fathers' fathers' fathers. REG: Yeah. All right, Stan. Don't labour the point. And what have they ever given us in return?! XERXES: The aqueduct?
REG: What? XERXES: The aqueduct. REG: Oh. Yeah, yeah. They did give us that. Uh, that's true. Yeah. COMMANDO #3: And the sanitation. LORETTA: Oh, yeah, the sanitation, Reg. Remember what the city used to be like? REG: Yeah. All right. I'll grant you the aqueduct and the sanitation are two things that the Romans have done. MATTHIAS: And the roads. REG: Well, yeah. Obviously the roads. I mean, the roads go without saying, don't they? But apart from the sanitation, the aqueduct, and the roads-- COMMANDO: Irrigation. XERXES: Medicine. COMMANDOS: Huh? Heh? Huh... COMMANDO #2: Education. COMMANDOS: Ohh... REG: Yeah, yeah. All right. Fair enough. COMMANDO #1: And the wine. COMMANDOS: Oh, yes. Yeah... FRANCIS: Yeah. Yeah, that's something we'd really miss, Reg, if the Romans left. Huh. COMMANDO: Public baths. LORETTA: And it's safe to walk in the streets at night now, Reg. FRANCIS: Yeah, they certainly know how to keep order. Let's face it. They're the only ones who could in a place like this. COMMANDOS: Hehh, heh. Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh. REG: All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us? XERXES: Brought peace. REG: Oh. Peace? Shut up! [bam bam bam bam bam bam bam] [bam bam bam bam bam] MATTHIAS: I am a poor man. My sight is poor. My legs are old and bent, and-- JUDITH: It's all right, Matthias. MATTHIAS: It's all clear. JUDITH: Well, where's Reg? FRANCIS: Oh, Reg. Reg, it's Judith. REG: What went wrong? JUDITH: The first blow has been struck! REG: Did he finish the slogan? JUDITH: A hundred times, in letters ten foot high, all the way around the palace! REG: Oh, great. Great. We-- we need doers in our movement, Brian, but... before you join us, know this: there is not one of us here who would not gladly suffer death to rid this country of the Romans once and for all. COMMANDO: Uhh. Well, one. REG: Oh, yeah. Yeah, there's one, but otherwise, we're solid. Are you with us? BRIAN: Yes! REG: From now on, you shall be called 'Brian that is called Brian'. Tell him about the raid on Pilate's palace, Francis. FRANCIS: Right. This is the plan...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Weve all gone Python!

And of course,,,
the Holy Grail !!

We're knights of the round table
We dance whene'er we're able
We do routines and chorus scenes
With footwork impeccable.
We dine well here in Camelot
We eat ham and jam and spam a lot.

·
Hmmm
2,744 Posts
NotDeadYet said:
I'm also strangely attracted to nuns.
Always fancied 'doing' a priest meself, in or out of the confessional, I don't mind.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts