YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Would the world be a better place without religion?

• Yes.

Votes: 61 68.5%
  • No.

Votes: 28 31.5%
81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Doyen of the Dodgy Dances, whilst being too legit,
1,635 Posts
Stesh said:
Jesus, Allah, Bubba, Santa, Toothfairy, etc are just bollocks it's plain and simple!
Very much like people that believe in them.
I would say sorry if I offend anyone, but hey why should I bother?
It's not as if they ever apologise for their stupidity? :angel:
Nice constructive argument there Stesh, really look forward to meeting you one time on a YD gig.... :sad: (can't find the appropriate smiley!)

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
The origins of proof An example is proposition 6: "If in a triangle two angles be equal to one another, the sides which subtend the equal angles will also be equal to one ...
plus.maths.org/issue7/features/proof1/index.html - 32k - Cached - Similar pages

·
Doyen of the Dodgy Dances, whilst being too legit,
1,635 Posts
Stesh said:
Great! I'll bring my tamborine :wink:
pmsl - it's Ok I have a spare..... :note:

·
Hmmm
2,744 Posts
Finless said:
The origins of proof An example is proposition 6: "If in a triangle two angles be equal to one another, the sides which subtend the equal angles will also be equal to one ...
plus.maths.org/issue7/features/proof1/index.html - 32k - Cached - Similar pages

That link proves that their cannot be any proof without belief :)

Of course, deductive reasoning is not infallible: the premises may not be true, or the line of reasoning itself may be wrong! This is how you can sometimes "prove" something that isn't actually true. There are any number of ways of "proving" that 1 = 2, for example.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
Jen said:
Can you prove that 1+1=2 or do you just believe?
WTF is 2?

1+1 = 10.

How else would this machine work?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Stesh said:
Jesus, Allah, Bubba, Santa, Toothfairy, etc are just bollocks it's plain and simple!
Of course Santa exists! Why else do we have a holiday on December 25th if its not to celebrate Santa's birthday? Although actually, there was a real Saint Nick wasn't there?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Finless said:
Surely if a religion is based around the teachings of one God and the book(s?) written (ie Bible) then how can religion change over the ages? Surely there is one way (as described in the Bible) to live? How can people's interpretations change so much?
If it didn't change with the times, it would be too much effort to believe in it! Kinda like marketing... if all the people in the religion ignore one rule, then change that rule so they all think they're being good little religious people again :)

81 - 100 of 131 Posts