YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Would the world be a better place without religion?

• Yes.

Votes: 61 68.5%
  • No.

Votes: 28 31.5%
121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
ahar said:
The basic moral rules set down by God in Christianity are quite clear:
No stealing
No murder
No lying
No jealousy
Treating other people as you treat yourself
No working 7 days a week
No adultry
Respect your parents
Love God
Don't let anything other than God take over as the centre of your life (e.g. money)

The world would be a better place if we all kept to these rules.
and where does it say to pay tax?

·
No social integrator
4,457 Posts

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
Lazlo said:
Cuh! Somebody just had to bring politics into it... :)

Anyway since you asked:

try Mark 12:14-17

or Numbers 31 specifically 31:25 onwards

Oh and Leviticus 27:32

Isn't Google fun :)
you see thats why i'm not religious, i haven't got a frigging clue what they're banging on about, its as bad as shakespeare. I pretty sure i'm not a child of israel and i haven't got any shekels in my pocket.

i just read through some of that Mark 12:14-17 stuff, its a bit much they keep killing people and they kill some blokes son and stuff.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
SoggyFox said:
you see thats why i'm not religious, i haven't got a frigging clue what they're banging on about, its as bad as shakespeare. I pretty sure i'm not a child of israel and i haven't got any shekels in my pocket.
Do you have a pullover?

:)

·
Liberal Lefty
1,694 Posts
Bah - Lazlo beat me to it. Lots of bits in the New Testament about paying tax. Remember the phrase "render unto caeser what is caesar's"? Quote from Jesus in response to someone asking whether he should pay tax!

The 'thees and thous' are generally as a result of the old English versions of the Bible (King James version from 1611 or so) or from a general attempt to translate as literally as possible from the Hewbrew and Greek writings. The New International Version (NIV) generally has more modern syntax (try www.biblegateway.com).

The stuff in Exodus comes from commandments given to the Jews before the birth of Jesus. The theology behind the rules in Exodus (and Leviticus and Deuteronomy for example) is a little complex but they are a side issue to the major tenant of Christianity:

Everyone does bad things, it's part of being human. Doing bad things is a sin, and God doesn't like sin. People who sin are not going to heaven.
The only way for people to go to heaven is to talk to God and say sorry. REALLY mean sorry. Really really mean sorry. Never want to do any of the bad things again, and make any changes necessary in your life to work towards this. Put God first and you second. Thats the start. You remember the Easter story? That's how your sins get forgiven.

It's not an easy message, or a popular one, and it throws up more questions (e.g. What happens to people in remote tribes who've never heard of christianity) than you can imagine.

BUT what it doesn't do is mean that you go off and start a war (e.g. Iraq), do a bit of genocide on the side (e.g. Lord's Resistance Army in Uganda) or set up large inquisitorial courts that torture people to the brink of death so they admit to something they haven't done (e.g. the inquisition in the middle ages). That is not a tenent of christianity - in the most part, it's the convienient label people use to cover them in their nerfarious deeds.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
rip Santa

chrisch said:
St nic's day is 6/12 but he was born 28/9 (so I found on google..)

I've always believed he was German, but the same search suggests the majority view is Patara....

Either way the bloke is dead. Long gone. And sure as shit doesn't come down chimneys :D :D

Chris
Sure is, the Easter Bunny put out a hit on him and he was assassinated by Lobo (see Lobo's Paramilitary Chrismas Special) :D :D :D

·
Registered
358 Posts
SoggyFox said:
you see thats why i'm not religious, i haven't got a frigging clue what they're banging on about, its as bad as shakespeare.
Now insulting Shakespeare, that IS blasphemy. If we need a god/prophet to worship then I'm for Bill!!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
ahar said:
No working 7 days a week

The world would be a better place if we all kept to these rules.
Nah, since the majority of the UK population have no interest or belief in religion (in fact I think I saw something somewhere suggesting that muslim was almost / soon-to-be / maybe-already the biggest active religion in the UK, ie not counting me who was christened but has no belief in any of it and was last in a Church for a school concert) we should get rid of this rule. Annoys me when i'm on my way home from a weekend away and can't buy any food for Sunday night and Monday because someone somewhere decided they think I'm better off sitting at home thinking about God!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't think the world would be a better place if we all followed the laws of religion. I believe that there are more important things that can make our world a better place. Besides, I'm not a religious person. I'm more accustomed to believing in psychics than in gods because I can ask a psychic questions, they can be found here www.kasamba.com/psychic-reading/heart-telepath/ , and get a clear answer that I can then use.

121 - 131 of 131 Posts