YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi Guys - thought you would be interested in the following....

Called up Apeks to sort out paying for the DIN conversion of my ATX200 and got chatting to Landon. Found out that there HAD been a problem with the second stage (breathing resistance was high but still in spec - just!). The problem was the diaphragm. Apparently the thermoplastic Apeks have been using for the last 10 years they have never been fully convinced by due to the fact it can spontaneously go hard and lose flexibility - this is what happened in my case. So as a result, the diaphragm has been replaced and the spring load (microadjuster inside 2nd stage) reduced to give a far easier breath (now only about 1 inch of water on the Magnehelic (sp?) guage)....

So I should have my reg back any day and will give it a trial in the pool hopefully on thursday.

So for the material Apeks use for the diaphragms, the stuff is being replaced with a new silicon - they've now got CE approval and should start rolling it out on the new regs soon.....

Weird eh? A reg could go years with no problems or the diaphragm can go wonky in months. C'est la vie

Top marks to Apeks though, and cheers to Landon for telling me all this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Imported post

Hiya
Did Apeks mention when this new diaphragm will be available or if it's free for current users if they send they're present one in. I would certainly like to get rid of a possibly faulty bit of kit. I've 2 sets of ATX200's.
Good diving
 Rob

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Sorry no, Landon didn't say. I would not be too worried though as the current diaphragm has been in use for 10 years with only a few problems......

It's not in use yet but since they have the CE for it, my guess is it will be in use soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts