YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Team HPDW Cake Queen.
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dynarob and I sold our two sofas on e Bay yesterday and personally delivered then in the van this evening.

The first problem we were aware of was when we drew up outside the address and noticed that our 4 seater 2 metre long giant sofa was marginally wider than the building. " It's never going to fit in her lounge " I said.
Despite specifying the measurement on my listing it was apparent the buyer had skipped that bit.

Teetering down a steep path and some steps we knocked and went into a small hall and then turned sharply into a room roughly the size of a large fridge where she wanted them. I didn't like the look of the angle of turn at all and space was further reduced by the prescence of a dismantled wardrobe and double mattress propped behind the front door.

She really wanted the 2 seater sofa but didn't really want the 4 seater so for the moment her cats were going to sleep on the big one and as they liked to see the telly (?) we were instructed to place it across the room width - approx 1.8 metres.

The two seater we managed quite well and full of confidence went back out to fetch the big 'un. I'm quite a bit shorter than Rob so my end was lower which meant I couldn't see over the sofa I was carrying. The steps were planned so that when I went down the 2 steps Rob was up the single step into the house. I realised I had made it into the hall only when the buyer screamed that I had her phone line caught around my foot.

I thought Rob was taking a sneaky break his end for a moment until I saw he had come to grief and fallen onto the mattress and was now laying under the sofa. I couldn't help him as I was jammed in the doorway. Rob manfully recovered and up-ended the sofa which meant the weight swung back to me and I dropped my end pinning me against the dismantled wardrobe whereby a coat hanger hooked itself into my jacket hood. I hung there for a while enjoying the rest before the buyer lunged forward and heaved the sofa into her room, after knocking off a leg.

After I was rescued we managed to get the sofa to fit across the room and the buyer was delighted despite the fact that she was pinned against the far wall behind it. I doubt she'll be able to get out and give me feedback

DFS ? Delivering Feckin Sofas ! :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hilarious............we did exactly the same about 3 years ago. Bought a large leather corner sofa from DFS, when it was delivered, it filled the living room lovely, only problem was it overlapped one doorway! We had to switch the whole room around, re-route the TV ariel etc until it fit. Lesson learnt; never buy large sofa without tape measure.

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
Sounds like you did better than the two clowns from DFS who, despite being given an accurate plan of our house, failed to get our sofa into either the front or back doors. Fortunately on the second attempt, someone with an IQ in double figures came along and showed them how to take the arms off the sofa. We will not be buying another DFS sofa...

·
Owner of the Frankinspo
947 Posts
I once walked up 6 flights of tight spiral stairs to my flat to be confronted by a bunch of policemen hanging around my neighbours door with a truly massive sofa firmly wedged in the door and the neighbours podgy little red face peering through a tiny gap.

I was very impressed that the delivery people got the sofa up the stairs, but when trying to manouver the sofa through the door it got jammed. My neighbour was a very needy helpless whingy annoying woman and obviously they eventually got fed up of her and just left, she needed to get the police around to try and get the sofa back out of her doorway.

The best part was that half the policemen were hiding round the corner from her door so she wouldn't see them all sniggering and grinning. :)

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
Sounds like you did better than the two clowns from DFS who, despite being given an accurate plan of our house, failed to get our sofa into either the front or back doors. Fortunately on the second attempt, someone with an IQ in double figures came along and showed them how to take the arms off the sofa. We will not be buying another DFS sofa...
quite surprised at that. we gave them dimensions of the extremely narrow hallway in or terraced house and they arranged a survey. sadly it meant no leather sofa bed buit it did mean a much larger better fully dismantlable sofa arriving in 2 weeks :)

·
TTFN
1,757 Posts
WOW! Now that's what I call customer service! How many people selling stuff on Ebay would provide a full delivery service? I'll be watching your auctions from now on ;)

Ellie
It's my fault, I decided that it would sell better if we offered the service at £2/mile. I was hoping somebody in Orkney would buy them and fund all my diving for the year :) Unfortunately the buyer only lived on the other side of Weymouth :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.