YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all if anyone has a spare  remote isolater that  they might to sell, I am after a second hand one.
I have a new twin set but am quite short in the arms and am unable to get to the knobs at the back to isolate anything.
Fiona.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Imported post

See how you feel after you done a few dives with the twinset.

Reaching the nobs is normally more technique than anything else - honest.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

Are these slob knobs....never used one and I'd be interested to know how much they cost?

Graham

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

christ on a bike...93 notes...I can't justify that after forking out 10 x that (including p&p) on my new o three dry bag and thermals....or can I...?

I'll have to see what's in santa's sack.

Cheers

Graham

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Fiona
how about inverting them, second hand valve guard and maybe a couple of long hoses might work out less expensive and more reliable (sorry Mark) than slob knobs.
Just a thought.
Matt

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Fiona.

Most people are going to say practice, practice, practice which in an ideal world is the thing to do.
However you probally want to go diving and enjoy the dive, but you need to have redundancy.

So l would suggest to dive with the isolator shut, breath one gassy thing (cylinder) to 100 bar then swap to the other breathy thing (2nd stage), this will enable you to enjoy some proper diving.
During the dive practice reaching the valves, just touching the isolator and mayby closing and openning the left and right posts, whilst obviosly having the apropriate breathing thing in ya job.

This way you can carryon with your diving whilst practising reaching the valves, after a while if you cannot reach the valves think about another option, i.e. slob knob, invert or indies.

l think their are a lot of people who when first diving with a twinset dive with the manifold open, even though they cannot reach the valves, relying on a buddy to isolate and shutdown, so the above way still gives you independant redundancy whilst practising.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Be warned that slob knobs do not work well on unballanced manifolds. I have always used one on my MDE ballanced manifold and it works smooth and easy. I swaped it on to my new twin set with the Bever unbalanced manifold and the efort involved in turning the valves off puts a hell of a lot of strain on the slob knob.

I am going to swap the manifold for an MDE ASAP.

I agree with Mat inverts are better but the cost is a bit of a shock. Doing it conventionaly is better as well but ONLY if you can do it with only reasnoble effort and quickley.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Dec. 08 2003,15:58)]I am going to swap the manifold for an MDE ASAP.
Hi

Mark, Can I have the beaver cheap? (If its a 300bar one anyway
)

Regarding the RIT (Remote Isolator Thingy) can you reach your left and right posts ? Because if not and you only have the RIT on the isolator then that limits your gas management doesn't it?

Andy

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Your welcome to the manifold. I think its a Beaver but I am not sure. One thing, it looks exactly the same as Bob's and Bob's is aparently the same as the Halcyon one. Are you in a hurry??

(If you were asking me)

Yes I can reach the left and right valve. But this in non esential as long as you always keep enough gas in one tin to get you up or to your gas switch.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi

Not in any hurry, whenever you're ready.

No, I wasn't referring to you as you can so after you isolate you have a chance of shutting down the offending valve and then opening the isolator again. Its just that to dive with isolator control only then you are effectively diving independents, which is slightly different.

Andy

PS Sorry, don't want to hijack Fiona's thread. I don't know where to get one secondhand but if you view this as a lifesaving piece of equipment and are determined you need one then spend the £93 on a new one and forget about the money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts