YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
yes. a little fiddly to put on the computer. advantages = MUCH easier to put on your arm if wearing thick gloves, in built back-up 'strap' should one break/come undone. no disadvantages as far as i can see.

·
Registered
377 Posts
They're very easy to put on and are much easier to wear. They stay tight around your wrist and seem much more secure than the straps that come with them.

I've got one on mine and wouldn't go back!

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
They also make the computer lower profile, so less likely to get caught up etc.

They are much easier to put on. I have one on my dive timer and compass and both are easy as pie.

What I want is someone to make one for the VR3 with a screen guard included. Of course I reckon that's going to be more expensive thant he Suunto mounts, but it would be worth it.

Plus, if it gets icy on deck you've already got a puck to play ice hockey with.

They are far far better than the suunto strap, especially when I see people with the suunto strap and a lanyard dangling all over the place. Not necessary now, for the cost of a replacement lanyard.

Digs.

·
Not so new member
174 Posts
Hi guys,

has anyone changed the boot on their suunto computer for one of these?

Mounting for Vyper/Vytec/Gekko, Mountings for timers and computers at divingniknaks the UK's No 1 scuba gear online store

What advantages do they have? and how easy are they to put on?

Thanks

Shaun

Yes, they're good, soak it (the rubber not the comp) in some warm water first and make sure you put it the right way in as there is a hole for the computer cable on one side.

And sign up for niknaks discount, I think he's still doing 10% off.

·
Team Erectus Domini Co-Founder
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice, have just ordered one as a present to myself- why not!

Cheers

Shaun

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
yes. a little fiddly to put on the computer. advantages = MUCH easier to put on your arm if wearing thick gloves, in built back-up 'strap' should one break/come undone. no disadvantages as far as i can see.
I agree...great bit of kit..and really secure, there is noway the computer would pop out.

·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi guys
Just a quick question which im sure i will find out when it is delivered any way, does the boot come with instructions on how to fit the computer?, if not is there any where that has a guide?

Thanks

Shaun

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Not sure about instructions included, but it is pretty self evidnet when you get the boot out of the box.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Funny enough i ordered these a few days ago as i find it a real pain to get computer and compass on with gloves on.

One worry though, just how secure IS the bungee ?

Ive got a mental image of me trying to get arm out of harness, catching the computer on the strap, sliding it off and losing it to the seabed forever.

My current vyper strap is so tight its never going to come off but its a nightmare to actually do up.

Oh, and the SK7 compass default strap is the worst design ive ever seen, its near impossible to put on with warm dry gloveless hands yet alone anything else.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
An experiment* done in Scapa a couple of weeks ago confirms that bungee is stronger than tiewraps.

* I say experiment. I stood up and my reel got caught in the wooden bench. It's clipped on to a bungee loop on my backplate and the cable ties holding the boltsnap on went before the bungee did when I stood up.

·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, and the SK7 compass default strap is the worst design ive ever seen, its near impossible to put on with warm dry gloveless hands yet alone anything else.
You should see the SK5 strap, it IS impossible to put on with gloves lol.

Shaun

·
Registered
759 Posts
I ordered one for my SK7 (agree about being worst design ever! why not just a normal strap?) from knackers and it came with instructions.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
i usually leave my SK7 on my drysuit, but the suit has got dry glove rings so the compass slipping off isn't really an issue

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have an Aladin Tec 2G and a Uwatec bottom timer in DSS boots from Nackers. I take them off before getting out of my harness as then there is nothing to get caught anywhere. I use a double ender to clip my computer and guage to a chest d-ring so I know where they are and they are not likely to get lost.

Cheers/Nic

Funny enough i ordered these a few days ago as i find it a real pain to get computer and compass on with gloves on.

One worry though, just how secure IS the bungee ?

Ive got a mental image of me trying to get arm out of harness, catching the computer on the strap, sliding it off and losing it to the seabed forever.

My current vyper strap is so tight its never going to come off but its a nightmare to actually do up.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
99% of my diving is off RIBs. I cant afford hard boats :)

So i end up dekitting in the water every dive to get back on.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I also have one for my SK7 compass. I've found that it spins round inside the casing. There are 2 little lugs that hold it all in alignment and they are pretty crap. Every time you turn the bezel the whole thing moves. Don't like it at all. The one for my Vytec is great though.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I never use the bezel so probably wont be an issue for me. Got mine sat here now but no idea how to lace it. Instructions may as well be written in Swahili.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts