YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>my replacement rubber knobs have arrived and I'd like info from anyone who as done this previously: as long as it is only the knob being replaced (not the valve being disassembled for lubrication) do I need to empty my tanks? I think I read somewhere that as long as the regs(s) are on you can do this with gas in your tank.
Additionlly, has anyone removed valves from an MDE manifold before? there is a plastic insert which looks like it has to be unscrewed with something like circlip pliers or a modified screwdriver as the screwthread at the centre protrudes into the slot, I tried to make a diagram in the post with keyboard characters but it didn't work out.

Chee-az
steve

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Hi Steve

Watched the guy in the shop replacing my knob the other day (as it had broken).  As long as you hold the handle whilst undoing the screw (so you don't open the valve) you can do it with the tank full.

He also just used a standard screwdriver on one side of the "2 sided" screw slot you mention.  I don't think the connection is made very tightly so it should work as long as you are careful.  Alternatively you could probably knock something up quite quickly to do the job gripping both sides.

HTH

Lou

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Steve,

I watched Hayhurst do this recently in 5 mins flat. Doesn't matter about whether the tanks are full or empty. Simply go for the central screw, unscrew, remove current knob and replace with 'rubber tactile' knob.

My word this conversation has the margin to go wrong, what?  

HTH

Failing that, just bring them with you to Anglesey and we'll get you squared away.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Last time I was at Andy's he showed me after I'd asked.

I expected a long drawn out explanation involving screws and stuff and he said.

"Get a screwdriver - unscrew the screw - tek knob off - replace with the rubber 'un - and screw it back together. Even you can manage that lad."

By that you can all guess that I'm not one for DIY unless it involves bungy.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

........and a Gimp mask  

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Bren shush !

or I'll tell everybody about your egg whisk and German flying helmet.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I replaced mine t'other day. It's dead simple, the only thing to remember is, it's easiest to do it when the valve is fully opened. So stick a reg in and open the cylinder fully, then just unscrew and remove.

Alternatively, if you're sure you can switch over REALLY quick, don't bother with putting the reg in first ;)

Bet you can't do it in under 50 bar...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts