YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Finally not a new member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a cylinder back from a visual test to find Ive also been charged for a service of the valve. Now I didnt ask for the valve to be serviced nor did I ask them to change the breathing air sticker that was already on the tank but they did. My bill is double what I was expecting to pay.

So is it a requirement to have the valve serviced after a prescribed period of time?

Have I been ripped off and charged for something I didnt want, or ask for?

How can I tell if the valve has actually been serviced or if Ive just been charged for it?

Unfortuneatly i didnt collect the tank myself so couldnt argue the point at the time.

Just interested for future reference.

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
I've seen a notice at Stoney saying that valves will be serviced on tests and charged accordingly, don't know if the rules have changed though?

Safe diving,
Steve

Reactions: laterontoday

·
South African - and proud of it!
180 Posts
You just have to look at the number of valve failures recently to realise why simply having the cylinder serviced is not enough. I think that this change came about as a result of 'suggestions' from the HSE to IDEST (don't quote me - just what I heard). Point to remember, you shouldnt pay for a valve service when you get your cylinder o2 cleaned - it should be automatically included. In addition, if you have any of the old Apeks BSP valves (black handle), there are no service parts available and are replaced as obsolete if you want your cylinder serviced. Adds about £27 to the cost.

·
180 Posts
You don't need a mandate if you're the HSE - you don't even need regulations - you just let everyone know that 'if there's an event that involves an unserviced valve', action will be taken. As far as IDEST is concerned, they make the rules for their members and they've been recognised as the appropriate organisation. The process is a little fuzzy but the bottom line is that your LDS will look to see an IDEST approved test on a cylinder if they are to fill it and IDEST require valve services - this is what I'm told - please help yourself to a spade of salt! At the end of the day, with all the problems with exploding cylinder valves (fitted by idiots or used well beyond their service life without servicing), this had to happen before filling staff got killed.

·
Finally not a new member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many thanks to all who answered my OP. I'm happy to have the valve serviced but would have liked to have been told that the £20 visual inspection would be more like a £40 because I also had to have the valve service.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
You don't need a mandate if you're the HSE - you don't even need regulations - you just let everyone know that 'if there's an event that involves an unserviced valve', action will be taken. As far as IDEST is concerned, they make the rules for their members and they've been recognised as the appropriate organisation. .....
So its not mandatory, but more industry BS then?

Chris

·
180 Posts
I'm not convinced it BS. At £7 approx that it should cost, it isn't expensive - about 5 pence per week of test. I've seen quite a few cylinders come through since this started. Of these, approx 10% have had to have shaft or valve seats replaced and a small number have been condemned. Any one of these had the potential to cause injury during a fill if it failed. At the end of the day, its not the diver who is at risk but the filling guy - ask them if they think this is BS when they're standing over a filling cylinder with a dodgy valve...

·
Registered
175 Posts
The BS IMHO is when a body with no legal powers say it's compulsory and a legal requirement or legally mandated, when it's their decision and generates work and revenue for their members.

Reactions: Steve Summers

·
10,679 Posts
The BS IMHO is when a body with no legal powers say it's compulsory and a legal requirement or legally mandated, when it's their decision and generates work and revenue for their members.
Yup that's what I meant. And if your big namesake says it should be 7 quid and its 20 then its a rip off too. It most certainly does NOT need doing if the tank is O2 cleaned as that involves stripping the valves annually....

Industry BS and rip off.

Chris

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
I guess that 'mandatory' means that unless the valve is serviced as well, then there will be no IDEST stamp. No stamp = no fill from places which check that a cylinder is in test before it fills it.

If the valve isn't checked/serviced/replaced and fails under pressure, it could very well be the person filling it who ends up injured. Not something i would want on my conscience (especially if it happened to be pelagic69 :embarassed: )

I would bloominwell object if my nice rubbery black knobs came back from a service all hard and green!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I would bloominwell object if my nice rubbery black knobs came back from a service all hard and green!
Mine came back with horrible cheap plastic green knobs... I asked for the old ones back (and got them, luckily:)).

I have to say though, back to the original post, if you ask how much for a visual and they tell you £20, without telling you that the visual will automatically and mandatorily include a £20 valve service, then I think you've got very strong grounds for a complaint there! Blatantly misleading.

David

·
10,679 Posts
Scuby said:
Mine came back with horrible cheap plastic green knobs... I asked for the old ones back (and got them, luckily).
What is going on? Are we saying that test centres are routinely changing the valve knobs? I have soft rubber knobs (steady there :D :D) on the twinset for both me and the missus. 6 knobs (Oh god Woz is going to have a field day) at £3.50 a shot.

I predict an visit to the dentist for the shop that thinks I really want cheap plastic green shitty ones as part of my "mandatory" valve service at some inflated cost that I wasn't told about...

What is wrong with the UK FFS???

Chris

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
What is going on? Are we saying that test centres are routinely changing the valve knobs?
Basically... yes!

I was told that some service places will now always put green knobs on nitrox cylinders, unless expressly asked not to! Apparently it makes it easier for people filling tanks... which frankly suggests that either anything with green knobs is fine, even if its out of O2 cleanliness, which i'm sure isn't the intention, or otherwise they still have to read the sticker, in which case why bother with the knobs?

So if you're putting your cylinders in for a service, tell the shop that you do not want green knobs, and also attach a big note to the cylinders saying the same.

David

·
180 Posts
There should be NO nob changing at all - unless you, the customer asked for it. The only valves (and nobs / knobs) that need changing are on valves that are no longer serviceable and these should be changed like for like. Again, getting back to the original post, if you were charged £20 for a valve service alone, you were ripped off. If this cost included many service parts (valve seat / stem etc or even a replacement valve and these bit should have been returned too) then maybe OK. A good service centre should have told you about the valve service when the cylinder was taken in for service and you can ask for the old valve back - after all, it is your property. Customer service is what you allow it to be!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.