YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Have been put onto this forum by a sister-in-law (well sort of sister in law- it's a long, convoluted story that requires coloured felt tips and alot of patience to draw the family tree).

Gave up diving about 10 years ago (took up motorcycling instead and have the steel plates in my pelvis to prove it) but the local university club (Nottingham) persuaded me to go along and instruct.

Blimey. What have I been missing! Forgot why I took the sport up in the first place... mind you- it hasn't half changed. Nitrox was unheard of, a wing was something deep fried in a bucket and a twinset was was your auntie wore. And Decca was the latest in (crap) nav aids.

Am now re-amassing a set of gear that won't kill me (unlike my old Suunto SME-ML computer that probably will) and after enough pool sessions (teaching) to turn my mask yellow it's time I got back into the open water and found my diving fins again. Stoney (bloody) Cove here I come. Look out for the scary bloke in the bright orange drysuit looking like a beached RIB.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi Woz,

Welcome back and well in there.

When you feel like hitting the briney again give me a shout, always space for a born again diver on our Rhibs.

Dive Safe

Paul

Canterbury Divers

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Woz ,

Welcome back .

Dover is a great place to dive ........ hey even been out yesterday fishing in a sw 8 kts to  45 kts ( F8 ) within 3 hours .

PERFECT STORM or what

Sod Alton Towers , come out on TAURUS,,, it's a cheaper & longer ride, and the wife says " and ya don't know when the ride is gonna stop ".

ANdy

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Woz
Welcome back to the world of diving.

You'll find a lot going for you on this forum.

Cheers
Bob

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Woz,

Welcome back to the wet and welcome to YD! You'll find no shortage of bikers here also; so expound on both passions - even if one of them leaving you with metal-work can still be described as a 'passion'  

Get in amongst it mate and hope to see you in the wet soon - be that in oggin or pond!  

Cheers,

·
Part of the 'Phoenix Programme'
1,112 Posts
Imported post

Dear Woz

Good for you! Getting back into diving is certainly smart, IMO, but don't give up on biking! What do you ride, anyway?

Welcome to YD!

moray

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

I had a VFR 750 before stuffing it into the front of a VW Polo and splitting the petrol tank using my knackers. Ouch.
Rebuilt it then sold it to Carnells in Birmingham.
My better half and I met taking our bike test- we were the only 2 to pass.
A mate and I used to have lengthy discussions about whether we could bike and dive...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Woz
Better late than never eh? Well you'll find theres quite a few of us other delinquents either are or have been involved with motorcycles. Suunto ML I remember those and if truth be known probably not on my own

Look forward to seeing you on one of our dives

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Imported post

Woz,

Will the weight of the steel negate the need for lead - if so how do you dump it in a real emergency??  

Welcome back to the world of wet and empty wallets!!

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Woz.

Hope ya NOT the WOZZER from Sky tele,,,,, coz i thought i was dovers best at Wheelies on my GSX 750 F

Andy

·
Part of the 'Phoenix Programme'
1,112 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Woz @ Dec. 28 2003,11:55)]A mate and I used to have lengthy discussions about whether we could bike and dive...
Same here...was considering a side-car. I HAVE seen a photo of a fellow in full scuba gear riding a motorcycle, but I cannot find it!

I rode moto guzzi, gave it up in favor of diving.

No wheelies though, Andy, I knew to behave meself *grin*

moray

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

Drysuit and stab on with cylinder and regs already attached, fins, mask and hood in the pannier. Away you go for a weekend diving on your bike. Mind you, taking a pillion in full kit would be interesting. I weigh about 120kg and I took my mate (who is about the same size) on the back and couldn't stop laughing 'cos the front end was so light.

Still, beats the time when I took my mum to Sainsburys on it, wandered round the store and met my mum at the checkout. She had a trolleyfull of shopping and we ended up with most of it stuffed down my leathers with a baguette peeking humorously out of the top.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Woz @ Dec. 28 2003,19:46)]Still, beats the time when I took my mum to Sainsburys on it, wandered round the store and met my mum at the checkout. She had a trolleyfull of shopping and we ended up with most of it stuffed down my leathers with a baguette peeking humorously out of the top.
Woz mate,

You've just found your spiritual home on YD! Enjoy and glad to have you aboard! You and Porg shall, from here-on-in, be soul-mates!  

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Welcome to YD Woz mate. Nice tales, had me laughing already and this is your first thread. Can't wait to read more of your antics. As you've found this is a very friendly bunch with lots of great banta. We meet up occationally to dive too.
Hope to see you on a trip next year perhaps.

Dave C

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>b,lox andy u try pulin wheeles out side the houses o parliament  done that 100+ along the embankment  and not so lon ago. funn big grin. m g a d v orce.m soon.

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Welcome aboard from another diving biker.

My theory is all the kit will fit in the panniers except for cylinder and fins. Cylinders you can rent, but I still have no idea what to do with me fins.

Have a good one

Conor

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (camdiver @ Jan. 02 2004,11:31)]but I still have no idea what to do with me fins.
<font color='#000080'>get force fins they should fit  

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Or better still, have you seen the new 'travel fins'??

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Welcome to YD...enjoy. Stoney eh....bit cold this time of year..:)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts