YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Okay,I drive this route(M6,Queensferry,A5 to Holyhead) a lot and I thought I'd point out some of the obvious points.I'm not preaching here,I make good progress wherever I can,but I value my license and the safety of others,I would'nt like to see anyone gain any points either if I can help it so:
It's very tempting to treat the A5 as a motorway after Queensferry and good progress can indeed be made.
However,please be aware that the speed limits change quite frequently.To be honest sometimes these changes are not easy to spot,ie,the 1st tunnel near Conway drops to 50mph and all there is to show this is a piddling little overhead sign above the tunnel entrance(naughty really).
The local Traffic boys are on the ball along here and the cretins who ignore the restrictions during silly season are there for all to see.I've seen a few be caught unawares by a big white Beemer....and no one's quicker than a camera of which there are several.
Once in the national speed limit areas the Police do not seem as keen,however before Conway they regularly park up at the top of sliproads to catch you going past below,slow and check your mirrors.Near Bodelwyn Church(big white church on the Right,about 20 mins out of Queensferry) there's also a hibben spot,I know it's there somewhere as I've seen the results!
 The new bypass on the island itself is also tempting,just be aware that thisis a prime nicking road that probably funds N.Wales' Police budget to a great degree.
Be safe,in your driving as well as your diving,maybe see you there,Hobby.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

For those wanting to avoid the delays that always happen around Holywell (A55) on friday and sunday night. The best thing to do is check out Multi map as there is a very obvious way round. Basically leave the dual carridge way and head for Carmel. Then just follow signs back to the A55. I have never been along the A55 and not had delays here and now always skirt round just in case. There are often signs telling you if there are delays once you get onto the A55.

Hope this helps - you will see what I mean if you do get stuck!! Have a good trip

Paul

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

I bought a radar detector for the car.  It picks up K bands used by the police - static, hand held mini-gatsos and gatsos in a 360 degree radius up to a mile away.  I don't speed, but it's handy to know where these things are if driving in a strange area, or if you haven't been there for a while and these things have been moved.  They're not illegal to use within the UK, contrary to popular argument.  Just a thought.  Dive safely, have a FAB time and post a report when you get back.

·
1,421 Posts
Imported post

29th January, 1998 Queens Divisional Council of Court stated radar detectors were legal to use and own within the UK.  They do not, as previously thought, breach the Wireless and Telegraphy Act 1949.  The detector does not interfere with, de-scramble, de-code, re-locate the signal in any way, nor is it an aid to locating the user, transmitter or sender.  There is no communication between deterctor and beam issuing device, the only communication is on human level. As this is UK law, it covers Scotland, England, N Ireland and Wales.  The only difference between a rador detector and human eyes is one is electronic, the other is not.

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Tis true! Radar "jammers" however,can be detected and these are illegal.It used to be the case where it was OK to possess a detector..but you could be prosecuted if it was found you had used it to evade (another)prosecutuion.This seems to have changed now and many Poice forces have been known to say they beleive radar detectors are a good thing as they make one more aware of speed.
I've recently returned a radar detector(my views are much as Frog's re.use,speeding etc.).It was a good one,not a top of the line new generation one but covering everything,therewithin was it's weakness.
It would chirp merrily away like a contented R2D2 for apparently nothing,however,if you passed to close to a shop door opening,a streetlight or some other form of electrikery...(pelican crossings were a particular favourite )it did an ear splitting impression of a Queen Dalek having an orgasm.
God forbid a mobile phone went off in the car...remember the scene in Close Encounters of the Third Kind.......?
The swine machine's back in it's box behind the settee now

Hobby.

·
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Thanks Hobby!  When I first used mine, I had it on the wrong setting.  
 The thing would be convinced there was a posse of radars in the chip shop car park, and would go bananas at satellite dishes, remote control operated garage doors, red light cameras, house and shop alarms.  Ginge switched on his mobile and got beeped at for his trouble.  On Motorway setting it picks up everything and on Rural it picks up a lot less.  I forgot about the bit where it's illegal to use them to avoid prosecution though.  Thanks for the reminder!  Dive safely.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

Frog, ever hear the story of the copper tagging a fighter with the laser gun on the A9 (Inverness) road and almost getting a "countermeasure" (self-launching anti-radar missle) up his arse???

All else fails? Speed Trap Bible

·
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Cheers Drift, an interesting read.  Where have you been hiding?  I'll catch up with you later on, take care, dive safely.  Ribbet.  

1 - 10 of 10 Posts