YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the Rebreather Forum 3.0 held in Orlando in May 2012, the subject of evidence preservation was presented by Martin Parker from Ambient Pressure Diving and David Concannon. Following this presentation and a detailed question and answer session by the audience, the individual rebreather manufacturers behind the Rebreather Education and Safety Association (RESA) agreed to provide information on what to do to preserve their system’s data and logic in the event of an accident to allow the dive to be recreated, thereby providing better data to understand what happened. Martin’s presentation showed a couple of very useful examples of what can be determined from the data logs, and also why certain procedures must be followed if the evidence is to be preserved. e.g. if an AP Vision unit is powered up and taken below 1.2m, then the data logs are overwritten by the current dive.

The first of these industry documents is now available from Ambient Pressure Diving here and is eight pages with plenty of detail.

In addition to the preservation data, Martin has helpfully provided contacts for investigation organisations such as QinetiQ, HSL amongst others.

Please forward on as required to anyone you know who dives an AP unit or dives with a buddy who uses an AP unit.

Regards

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.

The link above was the first hit for 'revo Rebreathers downloads' on Google.

Regards

·
Mr potty mouth: Sweeping generalist...............
2,382 Posts
This is ok to know but in the event of a fatal accident the police impound the equipment if it is a uk incident. Do they know what to do?

Graham.
The reality in most cases is 'perhaps'............................
The UK should be better than for example the Greeks that are supposed to have left the tanks open on a certain person's unit but the entire focus is to help them know for certain.

·
rEvolutionary Diving
4,542 Posts
This is ok to know but in the event of a fatal accident the police impound the equipment if it is a uk incident. Do they know what to do?

Graham.
Well the bobby on the beat doesn't know but all of the kit even the bits of suit that were cut away go off to "CSI" as they call themselves.

The kit then goes off to the specialsit investigation organisations and they do know what they're doing.

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the bobby on the beat doesn't know but all of the kit even the bits of suit that were cut away go off to "CSI" as they call themselves.

The kit then goes off to the specialsit investigation organisations and they do know what they're doing.
The point that came from RF3.0 was that if things aren't done properly at the 'scene' then some useful evidence can be trashed.

From what I remember of the private discussions I had out there, unless someone is going to front up the money to conduct a detailed examination of the equipment, HSL will not conduct one. Unfortunately, I assuming that this only comes about if there is a litigation case. I do remember that on more than one occasion a 'box of bits' has been presented to HSL and/or QQ and they have been asked to determine 'what happened'.

I am not sure who would address this, but it would be a good idea to get this sort of information to skippers too. The PBA might be a good start but I know that there isn't a good relationship with the BDSG, the other body who could do something about it.

Regards

·
For some bizarre reason....
6,297 Posts
My experience of the "bobby on the beat" at a crime scene when he doesn't know what to do....he will pick up the phone and get answers PDQ. In one of my previous jobs I was on the other end of the phone (poor plod ;) ) ..not diving related.

-Paul

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
go to the main page www.revo-rebreathers.com and select downloads, english, you'll find it on the top

(don't know where you got that link, as it is our old site)
Found out why it didn't show up. First time I tried locating the link was via iPhone which doesn't play flash. However, there was a background .html page but that wasn't in English couldn't see which link I needed.

Guidelines shared via FB and Twitter.

Regards

1 - 12 of 12 Posts