YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Having just committed the crime of maxing my credit card at LIDS I am in the process of rigging my shiny new pony (once again the forum is reduced to an innuendo fest, what with peters balls and all)

Which is the correct/best side to rig it?
Where do you hang the DV?
Anyone got any pictures or know of any sites with pictures?

I have a bag at the moment but am looking into getting proper bands in the future

Cheers

paul

·
Registered
118 Posts
Imported post

As far as "correct" goes, DIR appears to be of the opinion that if you think you need a pony, you need a twinset, so they're not much use here.  

Other than that, whatever works, works.  Diver mag covered several bailout possibilities here.  Since you really want the valve pointing out, it would appear that rigging it on the right with valve up, or left with valve down is the most sensible way.  I figued I wanted to rig it valve down, so I got a clamp from the start.  Depending on what I'm feeling like, I either use a 1m hose, and have the DV on a necklace, or a 5ft hose and treat it like an octopus, normal hose lengths would be sensible if you mount it valve up.

I'll take some photos this evening.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Time to bore evveryone. Mine is right mounted on a qd clamp inverted. I believe its a standard hose but I dont think its really long enough. I have the DV mounted next to my occy (which is yellow) in a clip off a D ring on the BCD. The valve is semi protected but still accessable as I normally ride it closed. I have been grilled for the valve being off, but I do test it on the surface before I dive so it is pressurised and I turn it on and off during the dive as well before I get low on the main. I like the valve there so I can do manual shut-offs IF it goes into free flow when I need it. I have no gauge and I cant see if the dv is flowing in that pos so I like it off. Others may and probably will disagree, eventually I intend to necklace it.
Some chest or side sling off the BCD so they can easily hand it off or up. I dont find it affects my trim on the side of the main tank.

HTH
Matt

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Thanks for the info guys

Dom informative stuff on your site and i fully intend to switch to twins in the future (the pony is a stop-gap)

cheers

paul

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Actually DIR thinking is that if a pony is required then no problem, it's a perfectly good redundant air supply.

What is not recommended by the DIR fraternity is not to have it turned on and bolted to the back of your cylinder where it cannot be accessed by yourself, the recommendation for carrying a redundant air supply (pony) is to have it side slung ala deco/stage bottle, most probably with second stage charged but cylinder turned off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] if you think you need a pony, you need a twinset, so they're not much use here.
Was a favourite saying of Jim Cobb. Sadly he gave up tech diving cos he was always fun to read on tech diver.

Wearing a pony as a stage is sometimes awkward with certain stab jackets as the attachment points can be a pain plus you have to allow for the jacket to inflate fully. It can also make access to a stab pocket awkward.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>No argument there Dominic of what you should and should not do with a pony.
Must have a good look at that site of yours
Very interesting.
Cheers.                        

·
Registered
118 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave Williamson @ Mar. 05 2003,22:16)]Actually DIR thinking is that if a pony is required then no problem, it's a perfectly good redundant air supply.
Cheers, Dave.  I stand corrected.  As I said, you lot are the useful end of DIR.

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Interesting arguments,I also know someone(much better/experienced than myself) who dives with twins and a pony if the dive warrants it............
Hobby.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Does he also wear two condoms in bed?
Seems a bit of overkill, but I'm sure if he's more experienced than you Hobby he must have a good reason.
Matt

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

The twins are tiny 300bar Agas(Police rigs).Therefore they're inverts,they also have a peculiar valve arrangements that means that they can't be run as independants,at least without changing one of the valves(he has thoughts of banding a third cylinder on however to give independants,as the physical size is very small,triple sets are also a very old thing!).The stainless DIN take off is between the shoulders via a stainless braid reinforced Aeroquip (with stainless fittings also).Effectively then this is used as RN etc twinverts,rule of thirds etc.however for cave work etc.he still requires extra redundancy so uses ponies as required.I have'nt got room in the car or I'd have brought them this weekend,they really are a superb bit of kit,they can be carried easily one handed and are very very slim.
 I'm going to bring my twin Heisers(not inverted)as I may wish to sell them to buy an Aga set.
I'll have to see,if not I'll try and get some piccies,Hobby.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

The small Aga inverted twinsets are quite common here in Sweden, which isn't surprising considering Aga is a Swedish company. You can buy them second hand as the fire services and police sell them off now and then. They are certainly very compact and sit nicely on your back.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Mar. 07 2003,11:33)]The small Aga inverted twinsets are quite common here in Sweden, which isn't surprising considering Aga is a Swedish company. You can buy them second hand as the fire services and police sell them off now and then. They are certainly very compact and sit nicely on your back.
John, are you considering buying a twin set?

OOPS

Lawrence

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Great artical Dominic

Totaly agre with just about all of it

So nouthing to argu about.......

Bugger

Mark Chase

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

John, are you considering buying a twin set?[/quote]

No fear of that, Lawrence! The big ones are too heavy and the small ones give me less air altogether than my single and (3L x 300bar) pony. There! That's bound to start an argument.  

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>John
should'nt have mentioned the pony!!!!!!

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Dominic

Top article and guidelines, i cannot disagree with any of it.

ThanX

Paul

Single 15 and Pony diver.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Mar. 06 2003,18:53)]Great artical Dominic

Totaly agre with just about all of it

So nouthing to argu about.......
Oh no! The world's going to end!